You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

I fully support him for at least two seasons even if we stutter. He deserves that time, but FSG needs to step up too. Biggest plus point so far is some brave decision making and use of youngsters. IMO.

What are those brave decisions you refer to? They may exist but I am having difficulty remembering any. As for the use of youngsters, is that really brave or just a consequence of his threadbare squad where his only other option is too overplay senior players?

I think he talks too much but he has shown an ability to use the media to deflect attention away from the poor results he is getting on the pitch. The constant repetition of rebuilding, a new playing style, blah, blah, blah is unconvincing. I hope, for the sake of the club, that he is a success. But this is LFC, not Bolton. We play pass and move and always have. Read Frank McParland's interview on the Anfield Wrap website, where he says Rogers' style is really no different to what they have been doing at the Academy since the introduction of Pep. Simply put, its the Spanish style.

His appointment buys FSG time. To do what, I don't know. Perhaps to learn about football and put a top management structure in place to take the club forward and be competitive. I don't think that is the case though, as nothing they do suggests to me they are looking too far past maximising revenues, which is their primary motivation.

I fully support him for at least two seasons even if we stutter. He deserves that time, but FSG needs to step up too. Biggest plus point so far is some brave decision making and use of youngsters. IMO.

What are those brave decisions you refer to? They may exist but I am having difficulty remembering any. As for the use of youngsters, is that really brave or just a consequence of his threadbare squad where his only other option is too overplay senior players?

I think he talks too much but he has shown an ability to use the media to deflect attention away from the poor results he is getting on the pitch. The constant repetition of rebuilding, a new playing style, blah, blah, blah is unconvincing. I hope, for the sake of the club, that he is a success. But this is LFC, not Bolton. We play pass and move and always have. Read Frank McParland's interview on the Anfield Wrap website, where he says Rogers' style is really no different to what they have been doing at the Academy since the introduction of Pep. Simply put, its the Spanish style.

His appointment buys FSG time. To do what, I don't know. Perhaps to learn about football and put a top management structure in place to take the club forward and be competitive. I don't think that is the case though, as nothing they do suggests to me they are looking too far past maximising revenues, which is their primary motivation.

A lot of your opinions are the polar opposite of mine. That's fine though. I don't have the energy to go in depth where such a gulf of opinion. I do feel that the benching of some experienced players behind the youngsters is actually quite brave, but you have a different take. No big deal.

I genuinely believe that anyone who wants a new Liverpool manager out after just 10 league games should fuck off and support someone like Villa. He got shafted by the owners in the transfer window.

Anyone trying to compare Rodgers' spending to Dalglish's and bringing in net spend needs a good boot up the arse. And I'd gladly give it to them.

And the winner of this month's Tolerance Award is...anyone else.

I'm not forming any firm opinions until he has had a proper chance to build the team in his image and to bring in the players he so obviously needs. He has done okay with what he has so far and I'm not sure that anyone else could have done much better.

He has very obviously chosen some talented young players and it has nothing to do with "overplaying" senior players. If anything he is overplaying the youngsters because of players like Downing, Cole, Henderson, Enrique and to an extent Carra as third CB - all veterans in the league - all markedly inferior to the players who have taken their spots. Say what you want about him tactically, not about this.

No I didn't! I did say winning isn't everything, and referenced Martin O'Neill to point this out.

I really don't see what your problem is with me doing that. I never said - lets put Martin O'Neill in charge and see how you all like that, I simply pointed out that we wouldn't want to win playing that way. Which I believe we wouldn't.

The point I was trying to make - I thought it was obvious enough for people to understand - was that, Rodgers isn't choosing possession over winning, it is a stupid argument to put forward, and fans (haha) who parrott that cheapshot I prefer winning as though this is something unique to them, are fucking idiots.

We all know that his style/system/philosophy has to be successful, nobody needs to point this out because it is obvious. I am just fed up with smart arsed retards offering up pathetically simplistic statements to take a cheap shot.

I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go because I wasn't, I actually see our insistance upon a particular way of playing as a positive.

A-fucking-men. Well said that man.

Guest ShoePiss
Andy Carroll lighting up the goalscoring charts yet again this season, I see.

Andy Carroll being shit isn't the point though, due to Rodgers getting shafted we're in a worse position than where we were before.

Guest ShoePiss
He rightly got the oaf out of the club and off the wage bill. Trusted others to bring players in, but it didn't happen.

Right, and this situation isn't about Rodgers being inexperienced or naive. There has to be a level of trust in a professional relationship otherwise nothing will get done.

Was he forced to loan out Carroll without a replacement?

Or did he loan out Carroll without first securing a replacement through inexperience?

Pretty sure he was forced to get Carroll and co. out of the club before he got transfers in, because the owners didn't want what happened last season where we were in a situation of having to pay the likes of Degen, Poulsen, El Zhar etc to leave to trim the squad down because we'd brought in players on huge wages before getting rid of all the dross who were never going to get played.

Andy Carroll being shit isn't the point though, due to Rodgers getting shafted we're in a worse position than where we were before.

I'm not saying that. People are using the whole Carroll saga as a stick to beat Rodgers with. These people are revisionist idiots, who seem to remember Carroll being some sort of goalscoring machine for us.

Guest ShoePiss
I'm not saying that. People are using the whole Carroll saga as a stick to beat Rodgers with. These people are revisionist idiots, who seem to remember Carroll being some sort of goalscoring machine for us.

Agreed, their frustration is misdirected.

His appointment buys FSG time. To do what, I don't know. Perhaps to learn about football and put a top management structure in place to take the club forward and be competitive.

Yep. In few years time, when Anfield has been rebuilded, and our squad consist mostly of home grown players, like Sterling, Shelvey, Kelly, Wisdom, Robinson, Suso, Coady, Mclaughlin etc. then the owners are really close to winning this race to be competitve again in english football added with healthy financials. All they need to do then is to add a few pearls to the cake and this club will be unstoppable again. Rodgers may go or stay at that point, he is irrelevant.

My early thoughts are:

1. He deserves time and a bit of space to see if he is the answer

2. Not overly impressed so far - he's inexperienced and it shows

3. He talks far too much - not Hodgsonesque so far but I'm seeing worrying signs as the pressure builds. I don't like the way he talks about players and I think it'll add to our chances of getting screwed in the transfer market (again). If he is going to compare us to "big clubs" then his goose is cooked.

4. I thought he had a 50/50 chance when we appointed him but I now think failure is more likely than success.

5.I don't really think his "philosophy" is the way to success for us in the League. Easy on the eye but frustrating as it relies on having a lot of top quality players to execute it properly and consistently and we'll never have the funds to compete at the necessary level in the market.

I really hope I'm wrong.

The legendary Shefki Kuqi said in an interview of a finnish sport magazine a few months ago, that Brendan Rodgers is the best football coach he has ever had (and Shefki has played under 20 different managers approx.), but he tries a little bit too much to imitate "the special one", Jose Mourinho. So, remains to be seen if he can stand on his own legs or will he just be a failed Mourinho clone...

Yep. In few years time, when Anfield has been rebuilded, and our squad consist mostly of home grown players, like Sterling, Shelvey, Kelly, Wisdom, Robinson, Suso, Coady, Mclaughlin etc. then the owners are really close to winning this race to be competitve again in english football added with healthy financials. All they need to do then is to add a few pearls to the cake and this club will be unstoppable again. Rodgers may go or stay at that point, he is irrelevant.

Yeah add a few pearls to our cake and we'll be unstoppable

My early thoughts are:

1. He deserves time and a bit of space to see if he is the answer

2. Not overly impressed so far - he's inexperienced and it shows

3. He talks far too much - not Hodgsonesque so far but I'm seeing worrying signs as the pressure builds. I don't like the way he talks about players and I think it'll add to our chances of getting screwed in the transfer market (again). If he is going to compare us to "big clubs" then his goose is cooked.

4. I thought he had a 50/50 chance when we appointed him but I now think failure is more likely than success.

5.I don't really think his "philosophy" is the way to success for us in the League. Easy on the eye but frustrating as it relies on having a lot of top quality players to execute it properly and consistently and we'll never have the funds to compete at the necessary level in the market.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Pretty much sums up my waffling, good post.

Only Suarez and Gerrard among our players have got a better rating than Carroll from this highly objective source.

Premier League - Player Statistics

I'm talking about goals, Frode. Stop trying to twist things according to some rating system used by a site I've never heard of.

Goals, goals, goals. That's all I'm talking about here.

I'm talking about goals, Frode. Stop trying to twist things according to some rating system used by a site I've never heard of.

Goals, goals, goals. That's all I'm talking about here.

Yes, lots of goals from Liverpool these days with only one senior striker.

Only Suarez and Gerrard among our players have got a better rating than Carroll from this highly objective source.

Premier League - Player Statistics

Seriously, do you even bother watching football? Or do you just check the results and look at the stats from the game?

Are you incapable of making a judgement based on what you see with your own eyes?