You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

On 15/02/2021 at 12:33, sir roger said:

Finished the BBC version a couple of months back and agree sometimes the levelling up of distances was a bit erratic.

I used Michael Johnson as my mentor , and one of the highlights of my day was his honeyed tones telling me I had finished , well done and to go get a bannanna.

Had Johnson on mine as well, changed the boring get to Jo Wiley last week and then had to change back as she was doing my head in.

Worse than the mrs talking at me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Had Johnson on mine as well, changed the boring get to Jo Wiley last week and then had to change back as she was doing my head in.

Worse than the mrs talking at me.

Johnson was my preferred choice but a glitch on my app meant I had to change my mentor for every other run until I found one that worked. Thankfully I got through the 9 weeks without recourse to Sarah Millican.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Johnson was my preferred choice but a glitch on my app meant I had to change my mentor for every other run until I found one that worked. Thankfully I got through the 9 weeks without recourse to Sarah Millican.

I was thinking of trying Millican as i figured it might help me run further and faster to get the fuck away from her.

Longest run yet today - last run of 'week 6'....25 mins.

Dead proud of myself! Not exactly quick but did it and that is main thing.

It is all longer runs from here on in now.

25 mins for each of next 3 runs.

Then 3 28 min runs

Then 3 30 mins....at which point i will have gone from 'couch to 5k'

It is quite addictive once get into it and start doing stuff thought couldn't do.

• Upvote 8

30 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Got a new PB last night for my 5k: 22:06

Aiming for <48 mins on the 10k tomorrow, although not too bothered as that 5k effort cleaned me out. My AVERAGE heartrate over the 22 mins was 183bpm! Had nothing left in the tank by the end.

How old are you, mate? 

29 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

33 next month. Never been a runner before this though, never been close to anything that would resemble "cardio fit". And I'm still 10kg overweight. Wish that was as easy to lose. I'd be flying then.

Yeah, I thought it was similar to me. 183 isn't a problem then really. Obviously you'd like to think it'll improve but you aren't about to keel over.

I'm probably about five or six kilos heavier than I'd like to be. Christmas was just...ridiculous. I'm quite lucky that I can get rid of it quite quickly. It'll be gone by the start of April.

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, I thought it was similar to me. 183 isn't a problem then really. Obviously you'd like to think it'll improve but you aren't about to keel over.

I'm probably about five or six kilos heavier than I'd like to be. Christmas was just...ridiculous. I'm quite lucky that I can get rid of it quite quickly. It'll be gone by the start of April.

Nah its not a problem, but it felt very close to max effort, and REALLY taxing. I don't know if I had many seconds to trim off that. If i ran it in 23 I'd feel like I didnt even run by today, and be able to go out and do it again. As it happens, I feel a bit knackered today and am taking a day off.

29 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Nah its not a problem, but it felt very close to max effort, and REALLY taxing. I don't know if I had many seconds to trim off that. If i ran it in 23 I'd feel like I didnt even run by today, and be able to go out and do it again. As it happens, I feel a bit knackered today and am taking a day off.

Where are you running? On roads?

Most of mine is country lanes/tracks etc. Partly because it's more scenic, but also so I don't have to wear a mask. Would be nice to run somewhere flat every now and then though. Fucking good for the fitness running up and down hills in fairly rough terrain though.

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Where are you running? On roads?

Most of mine is country lanes/tracks etc. Partly because it's more scenic, but also so I don't have to wear a mask. Would be nice to run somewhere flat every now and then though. Fucking good for the fitness running up and down hills in fairly rough terrain though.

I live in a small village so I just run on this footpath that extends out 2 miles, for anything 4 miles or shorter. >4 and its county roads.

3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Aiming for <48 mins on the 10k tomorrow, although not too bothered as that 5k effort cleaned me out. My AVERAGE heartrate over the 22 mins was 183bpm! Had nothing left in the tank by the end.

Great time. On predictions it points towards a sub 47 min 10km.

Very rough HR max is 220-age, so 187. To average 183, means you left nothing there. It is recommended a one day rest per mile raced, so maybe another day of rest of a very slow jog to remove some of the crap in your legs before going nuts again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Great time. On predictions it points towards a sub 47 min 10km.

Very rough HR max is 220-age, so 187. To average 183, means you left nothing there. It is recommended a one day rest per mile raced, so maybe another day of rest of a very slow jog to remove some of the crap in your legs before going nuts again.

Id like slow one next but Im kind of tied to my running mate, so I might have to suck it up, just run the 10k and have a rest sunday.

I'll have earned a 100km badge on strava for the month of february.

3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Fuck me that's fast! My best is 26:43 and I couldn't move for about 15 minutes at the end of that.

6 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Decent stuff that 22 mins.

I reckon i'll be lucky to do 26/27.

• Upvote 1

Ran 59:35 for 10K on Saturday and as completely chuffed about it as I am, fuck me, am I suffering for it now! I couldn't move yesterday and I'm still in pain today. I think I'm actually creaking as I walk upstairs.

It wasn't even meant but the weather really helped, and when I got to 5K in sub-30 minutes I thought just go for it. Unfortunately, a miscalculation in my route meant that the last 200 metres was uphill and nearly killed me! I was on the floor at the end for at least 10 minutes and had 3 people walking past ask me if I was ok.

Might go back down to 5K for a couple of weeks before I build up the desire to put myself through 10K like that again.

• Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Ran 59:35 for 10K on Saturday and as completely chuffed about it as I am, fuck me, am I suffering for it now! I couldn't move yesterday and I'm still in pain today. I think I'm actually creaking as I walk upstairs.

It wasn't even meant but the weather really helped, and when I got to 5K in sub-30 minutes I thought just go for it. Unfortunately, a miscalculation in my route meant that the last 200 metres was uphill and nearly killed me! I was on the floor at the end for at least 10 minutes and had 3 people walking past ask me if I was ok.

Might go back down to 5K for a couple of weeks before I build up the desire to put myself through 10K like that again.

Get yourself one of these, or something similar.

https://www.geargeek.co.uk/led-vibration-therapy-fitness-massage-gun/?sku=MASSAGE_ARM_BLACK&amp;gclid=Cj0KCQiAvvKBBhCXARIsACTePW8JGOOy1aoMJgl1QCgkdR1DW68taiXFPY1iH-dUtbHQfC_hkeaSCOsaAjvtEALw_wcB

I used to be in sore for a couple of days afer runs but with this I'm genuinely fine the next day, a real 'game changer'.

45 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Nice one Jenson!

Started week 8 today...

3 x 28 min runs.

First time over 25....found it ok.

Pretty much there now...2 x 28 min runs left then 3 x 30 mins in final week.

Think will keep to 30 min runs after that for a while and book a 5k in when (if) they are available in Summer.

• Upvote 4