You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

I'm planning on starting running again once the gyms open (which may be a while), my discs can't tolerate road running any more. I actually don't mind running on a treadmill, there's no one in the way or dogs chasing you.

• Upvote 2

started running again way before this COVID-19 shenanigans. 3 times a week but upped it because the weather has been largely decent and no swimming pool action. which i would do twice a week. so a bit of a substitute for now. miss that big time, more than i thought i would.

no great shakes- 2 large fields i can access with short walks to break it up. don't like to be out more than half an hour. running on concrete- i've always thought that is for lunatics, certainly for over 40's. didn't do it when i played football either and nor do footballers generally. grass is best for long term i reckon. everyone is different though.

the fresh air, a bit of nature with the tunes on is also great for thinking about the day ahead.

nice to be back to a loose medium and by doing it manageable and sustainable. gotta be a loose fit.

also keep Britain tidy by picking up mostly energy drinks cans and bottles on the way- irony being they didn't have the necessary vitality to walk and put them in a bin after consumption. payment for community use of amenities in my book.

well done anyone getting off their ass and getting involved- using a negative situation for a positive mental and physical effect for themselves.

• 5 months later...

Decided start jogging again after about two years ( started couch to 5k at start of lockdown which was an interference to drinking so jibbed it)

Last week it took 23.40 to do 2 miles, did two more runs on top. Took 21.10 today. I've never been fast (more into weights or i was) so I was only at about 9 minute miles anyway.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Decided start jogging again after about two years ( started couch to 5k at start of lockdown which was an interference to drinking so jibbed it)

Last week it took 23.40 to do 2 miles, did two more runs on top. Took 21.10 today. I've never been fast (more into weights or i was) so I was only at about 9 minute miles anyway.

I think if you can do a mile in ten minutes then that's a pretty good level of fitness.

I've ordered a barbell to build a garage gym (already received the bench and plates, still to order the squat rack) but got an email today saying due to chaos at Britain's ports it's going to be Christmas before I get it. Gutted! 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I think if you can do a mile in ten minutes then that's a pretty good level of fitness.

I've ordered a barbell to build a garage gym (already received the bench and plates, still to order the squat rack) but got an email today saying due to chaos at Britain's ports it's going to be Christmas before I get it. Gutted! 

It's annoying as one of the blokes who owns my gym said to ring him and I can lend some weights. I've got his mobile number and it's always switched off. I should have asked for his landline as he's one of them old fellas who never uses a mobile. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Managed to get sub 50 mins running a 10k today, by myself. Targeting 45 minutes if I can shift the extra 10kg I'm carrying and/or run with other people for extra motivation.

Anyone know how to lose 10kg while still eating what you want?

Overly simplified, if you are eating and living normally and maintaining your weight then, if you run 35 miles (57km) you would lose approx 1lb (0.5kg). So 35 miles a week will lose approx 2 kg a month . This is weighing approx 80kg. 

If you are heavier you would burn more calories and lose weight more quickly, which would slow down as you lose weight. 

A mistake a lot of people make when they first start running is taking on too many calories. Gels every 40 minutes, energy drink on every run etc. 

If you are running less than 10 miles it is not necessary to take anything apart from water. 

There is also a formula for how much each kg you are carrying slows you down. I will try and find it, but I would imagine if you continue as you are, losing 10 kg would get you close to 45 mins, purely due to being lighter.

EDIT: Found weight loss/time gain again very simple;

https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/weight-loss-speed-impact

Race time predictor for all distances from a known time and distance;

https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/race-finish-time-predictor#type=long-distances

9 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Overly simplified, if you are eating and living normally and maintaining your weight then, if you run 35 miles (57km) you would lose approx 1lb (0.5kg). So 35 miles a week will lose approx 2 kg a month . This is weighing approx 80kg. 

If you are heavier you would burn more calories and lose weight more quickly, which would slow down as you lose weight. 

A mistake a lot of people make when they first start running is taking on too many calories. Gels every 40 minutes, energy drink on every run etc. 

If you are running less than 10 miles it is not necessary to take anything apart from water. 

There is also a formula for how much each kg you are carrying slows you down. I will try and find it, but I would imagine if you continue as you are, losing 10 kg would get you close to 45 mins, purely due to being lighter.

EDIT: Found weight loss/time gain again very simple;

https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/weight-loss-speed-impact

Race time predictor for all distances from a known time and distance;

https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/race-finish-time-predictor#type=long-distances

Thanks. I don't take gels or water or anything with me. I might take water if I start doing longer 10mile+ runs, but can easily go an hour without water as long as I hydrate in the hours before the run.

I'm 88kg and that predictor says I'd shed 3 mins of I was 82kg so if I get down to 78-80kg, I'd say I'd do 45mins easy because by then I'll not only be lighter but fitter too.

47 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Thanks. I don't take gels or water or anything with me. I might take water if I start doing longer 10mile+ runs, but can easily go an hour without water as long as I hydrate in the hours before the run.

I'm 88kg and that predictor says I'd shed 3 mins of I was 82kg so if I get down to 78-80kg, I'd say I'd do 45mins easy because by then I'll not only be lighter but fitter too.

I’ve got a speed training programme you can have if you want.  12 sessions. Only got it on PDF if you want it PM your email address.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve got a speed training programme you can have if you want.  12 sessions. Only got it on PDF if you want it PM your email address.  

Thanks, appreciate it. Couldn't hurt to read it.

One thing I didn't minion though, I got a Garmin watch (forerunner 245, got it refurbed for £130) and the app has Garmin coach. You tell it your target and it draws up a training programme with speed runs, stride runs, long easy runs, pace repeats etc. Been absolutely blown away by it to be honest. Each run feels like its own target and is interesting and difficult in its own way. Couldn't recommend it enough to noobs like me who want to get fit and get bored just trying to run regularly. I actually got up xmas morning and ran intervals on the beach. There's no way Id be doing that of my own volition.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

Any ideas for tracker apps? Used to use endomondo but it's been discontinued.

Not jogged in 4 weeks with covid and the after effects so gonna try later,  gonna struggle 

I used garmin connect (with the garmin watch) but liked strava before too. Do you have a smart watch/fitness band?

20 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Managed to get sub 50 mins running a 10k today, by myself. Targeting 45 minutes if I can shift the extra 10kg I'm carrying and/or run with other people for extra motivation.

Anyone know how to lose 10kg while still eating what you want?

Impressive stuff Rick , I do 30 minutes every other day on the treadmill and hover just over 4km each time so you're way ahead of me , but I am 61 next month and hadn't run at all until a couple of years ago so happy enough but looking at some of the set routines available in the treadmill memory and utilising the gradients more , to step it up a bit.

Oh and try to avoid Greggs

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Impressive stuff Rick , I do 30 minutes every other day on the treadmill and hover just over 4km each time so you're way ahead of me , but I am 61 next month and hadn't run at all until a couple of years ago so happy enough but looking at some of the set routines available in the treadmill memory and utilising the gradients more , to step it up a bit.

Oh and try to avoid Greggs

Thanks! I've been into weights over the years, and cycled on and off for a year or two, but never been proper cardio fit. Signed up for a 10k a year ago when I couldn't even jog a mile without stopping and just used that to springboard me. Getting a couple of mates together was absolutely pivotal in getting the habit started and this garmin coach is having a similar affect in keeping me going on my own.

You must have a strong will than I do, as I can't stand treadmills, in that I never stay on them for the time/distance I've set out. I love outdoor running as once you set off down some country road in this part of the world it's easier to complete the planned route than to turn back or try and find a shortcut home. I have a very lazy brain and need to find an edge at every step to keep me going.

I've only run 10k 4 or 5 times and they are going like this:

59:30

56:45

52:55

49:35

So heading in the right direction, even with my weight remaining constant

27 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I've got a shitty fitbit

Does it track heartrate?

Probably best to bring your phone and use the strava app. You might even find runners around you that you can train with. Running with company is way better, most of the time. Sometimes I want music and peace but other people help you run faster IMO, so while some of your runs can be more relaxed and enjoyable, you need to kick on sometimes too and torture yourself a bit.

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Does it track heartrate?

Probably best to bring your phone and use the strava app. You might even find runners around you that you can train with. Running with company is way better, most of the time. Sometimes I want music and peace but other people help you run faster IMO, so while some of your runs can be more relaxed and enjoyable, you need to kick on sometimes too and torture yourself a bit.

I always have rocky play list on

1 minute ago, littletedwest said:

I always have rocky play list on

Yea nice motivational stuff is good. I tried to run to drum and bass playlist once thinking it would give me energy. About 10 minutes in I was bent over double at the side of the road almost spewing. It just set an impossible tempo. Big mistake.

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Yea nice motivational stuff is good. I tried to run to drum and bass playlist once thinking it would give me energy. About 10 minutes in I was bent over double at the side of the road almost spewing. It just set an impossible tempo. Big mistake.

Yeah i tried it with some Aphex Twin a while ago and there just limbs flying everywhere. Something with a reasonable, steady pace is ideal.