You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

In all probability we'll be seeing him for the last time today. He's been one of my favourite players for sometime and so I've been considering how he'll be remembered by the fans.

He has played over 270 games, has 50 league goals; a hat-trick against Manchester United, a match winning double at Goodison, goals in both the European cup and league cup final as well as the winner in a European semi(you may credibly say it was a penalty in a shootout, but he had a goal wrongly ruled out in extra-time). That's a highlight reel even the very best players we've seen at this club would be envious of.

Even still, the ability of other players we've had, Dirk's well known limitations and the accolades they've accrued mean I'm reluctant to say he belongs in that exclusive class.

Thoughts?

*If we could keep the arguing about what a legend is, how it's overused and other semantics to a minimum that would be nice.

I have a bit of a thing with this latter-day rush to confer 'legend' status on players, so this is not Dirk-specific, but to me he is a player I have really enjoyed having here & has a work-ethic that most of our other players should take note of, but legend status should be hard-won & Dirk does not qualify.

"Legend" status is a personal opinion, and, although it seems to be going against the grain here judging by the poll so far, for me Dirk is a definite legend. Whilst he may not be blessed with incredible technical and footballing skills (legend status is more than that), he has made up for that scoring some very important goals and working hard in absolutely every game he has played in. I have never seen him give up on any cause and he has always fought right to the end of every game, always given 100%. That is all I ask of any Liverpool player, yet many find it hard to do that, especially in the modern game. Furthermore he is clearly a very supportive team mate and respects the traditions of the club. He can proudly leave in he knowledge he has given everything to the club, which for me makes him a legend I will remember.

Dirk has given great service; he's showed wonderful loyalty; he's scored some very important goals for us; he gave great assist service to Torres; I find myself wondering what could have happened if Benitez hadn't bastardised him into an outside right. I hope he succeeds as a Striker, wherever the road leads him.

Thanks Dirk - Liverpool almost a Legend.

Not quite a legend, but "cult hero" seems a little patronising.

He's been an excellent player for us, and literally a top, top fella.

This. We'll miss his boundless enthusiasm and professionalism, but, as this season has shown, his time has gone and he's not quite the player he was (or the player we want/need him to be).

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I love the guy. Worked his cock off, scored important goals, but not a legend in the same breath as Barnes, Hansen, Gerrard, Biscan, Fowler, Dalglish, et al.

Is Vladimir Smicer?

Love them both, both gave it all and came through big when needed, and came up short once or twice as well. Doesn't affect how fondly they'll be remembered. They will both be remembered. To put it in the corniest way possible, they'll never walk alone.

He's been a great player for us but he isn't a legend.

I think in order to be classed as a legend then you have to have won the CL and the league or you have to have been a quality player for many years, like SG and JC have been.

A great servant who's made a fantastic contribution to the football club and given us brilliant moments, but legend? Not for me, I'm afraid. Falls just short of that criteria when you think of some of the players who've worn the shirt and are undisputed legends.