You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rolling Stones

Bjornebye

According to Ronnie Wood they are gonna start recording new material later this month....

great news. Only seen them live once at the isle of wight festival and they were brilliant for a bunch of old geezers like.

be good to see what they come out with !

shine a light, paint it black and street figting man - boss tunes

According to Ronnie Wood they are gonna start recording new material later this month....

great news. Only seen them live once at the isle of wight festival and they were brilliant for a bunch of old geezers like.

be good to see what they come out with !

shine a light, paint it black and street figting man - boss tunes

No it's not, Jon. It's never good news when bands decide to go back into the studio at their age.

• 6 months later...
They're alright but this is fucking brilliant.

[YOUTUBE]1ckuXx64abc[/YOUTUBE]

The greatest version of this the only Stones record I like and one in which Keith Richards plays pretty awesome but alas it is short lived as Mick Taylor lets rip.

[YOUTUBE]XSjT1JBLnN4[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 months later...

I expect a tonne of flak, but sod it...

Never rated them.

I can't deny they've had moment of brilliance, but in the grand scheme of things, it's 5% brilliance, 95% mediocre crap.

For me, they don't even come close to The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, or even their nemesis, the Beatles. I'd even argue U2 had offered much more to the music world than the Stones.

Maybe they're just one of that bands I don't 'get' - but to me, they're largely smoke, mirrors and hype.

They are now living off the novelty of their longevity.

• Upvote 1

Even the Beatles? "EVEN"?!

The Beatles shit all over them from a great height, doesn't stop them being a great band but no, that was a battle they lost in the 60s and a loss that's become clearer and clearer with every passing year.

Do like the Stones though. Zeppelin and U2 don't even belong in the conversation. Unless the conversation is who ripped off old blues riffs more, in which case Zeppelin might have a case... I mean at least the Stones were open about it.

• Upvote 1

I urge anyone who has doubts about the Rolling Stones to watch some of their live performances from when they were massive in the late 60s/early 70s.

Watch them and watch Mick Jagger and tell me you wouldn't want to be that fucking cool. Watching him move around the stage like that was just the coolest thing to teenage me

Music is all about opinions and that, but I'm not having the Who and Led Zep been as good as the Stones. They have some good songs, but I hammered them too much as a youth and any appeal they had has vanished because they weren't that great to begin with.

Saying that, the Stones have released an awful lot of shite, but they're still only behind the Velvet Underground and Beatles in my opinion. Fourth if I count Pink Floyd, but I wont because I don't wanna compare Floyd to the others.

It is a funny thing music. You can agree with a mate on 90% of musical taste, then come across a particular band and be polar opposites in opinion.

The Stones just never inspired me at all. There are lots of other bands I don't like, but can see the appeal of - Yes, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac and many more, but I could never see the appeal of the Stones at all.

I don't think the challenge of listening to certain albums, or seeing particular gigs works. It's very rare indeed that someone will change opinion on a band unless of their own volition. I've tried countless times to persuade folks that Rush, Bob Dylan, Richard Thompson, Floyd etc are great acts, but if it's not someone's cup of tea, it's just not their cup of tea! irksome, but a fact of life!

I expect a tonne of flak, but sod it...

Never rated them.

I can't deny they've had moment of brilliance, but in the grand scheme of things, it's 5% brilliance, 95% mediocre crap.

For me, they don't even come close to The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, or even their nemesis, the Beatles. I'd even argue U2 had offered much more to the music world than the Stones.

Maybe they're just one of that bands I don't 'get' - but to me, they're largely smoke, mirrors and hype.

They are now living off the novelty of their longevity.

I'm half way to this view.

Jagger annoys me & Keef looks like a knob!

Greatest group ever?

Nah, FLOYD.

• 4 years later...

If you like reading auto - biographies and you haven't read Life by Keith Richards then you still haven't lived it.

As for the comment about which band you'd rather be in, Beatles or the Stones then for me it'd the Stones hands down. Looked much more fun. The Beatles were and are miles better musically without a doubt but the stones had an edge the Beatles couldn't dream of. I had an interview in the fab 4 cafe (not for a job there) on the pier head earlier and they must have just had the Beatles 1 album on. I felt sorry for the lads working in there.

To reiterate - I love the Beatles.

They are nowhere near The Beatles, for me. No band has ever been as diverse musically as The Beatles, or produced as much consistent quality in such a little space of time. The Stones have always been a "greatest hits" type of band for me.

Also, in "coolness" terms, The Beatles had George Garrison, the coolest man on the planet at the time. The Stones...erm....didnt.  

• Upvote 1

I've never really understood the thing with comparing The Beatles & The Stones, they were both amazing over a certain period (The Stones slightly later than The Beatles), sounded nothing like each other & in a lot of ways, they set the standard for the bands that followed.

I reckon if The Stones had packed it in when Mick Taylor left, they would be held in higher esteem by people but I suppose that's open to conjecture.

• Upvote 2