You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Back on this now, looked around the map a bit after starting again and it's amazing being reminded of how big it is. Should be hitting around 91 hours soon, I'd guess that could be doubled over the coming weeks if I get into again like I did before.

Dragon fights will mainly be avoided, they got annoying and kind of boring in the end. Music also turned off now (why I didn't do that earlier, no idea.) The potions stuff we talked about before (spamming them and having loads which makes fights simple) is something I'm also watching, like I said back there. If I use them it'll only be whilst I'm in the situation where I could see the character realistically being able to use one or more, whilst running away or out of the way of enemies, for example. Am also going to be avoiding a lot of fighting compared to before, because I just want to get to know the place a lot better and hoard loads of crafting/alchemy ingredients (stealth is also my main focus now, and sneak just reached 90 earlier.) The main story aspect will also be avoided I think, no idea of how far I got but it just doesn't interest me that much compared to just playing how I want to.

The "avoiding a lot of fighting" didn't last long. Ended up at some type of fortress near the mountains with a load of sorcerers inside, and several guarding outside (I have a thing for battling sorcerers more than most other enemies in game.) Was happy that I eventually took out a pretty hefty one inside, only to go into a dungeon that had an "Ascendant Conjuror" down there. I just got straight back out, and am planning on going back to him/her shortly after hopefully picking off everyone else down there first.

Am probably going to get my arse kicked, and then spend most of 24 hours levelling destruction magic and getting better spells/equipment.

• 1 year later...

I really like this game, it'd be one of my top 5 all time I think, but I've been stuck using a PS3 that's one of the worst affected platforms for Bethesda's bugs. This also explains why both Fallout 3 and New Vegas ended up being unplayable because of crashes and bugs at certain points, they must have been using similar code or engines, the problems are too related for it to be random.

One option could be to mostly sack off consoles in the future and switch to using a PC. Then just turn into one of those proper Elder Scrolls nerds by clocking up hundreds of hours on the games with all of the mods they have at their disposal.

Started a new game on the PS3 recently but it crashed shortly after I started crafting alchemy potions, which is one of the main things I like doing (exploring to gather ingredients + crafting potions.) So I turned it off and probably not going back on it after reading about memory leaks in the game and how the PS3 has some of the worst issues with them.

A shame, because it's fucking amazing until it starts crashing. I could deal with it before (approached or passed 100 hours), but not so much now knowing how bad the game eventually ends up playing and after having a PS3 break recently.

Have started a new game again, even though the PS3 is usually filled with bugs later on. Mainly because I can try avoiding some issues with a couple of things : resting for 30 days (I do this in bits usually over time) is supposed to reset every dungeon so that could help avoid crashes later on. There's also a quest near the start (where you go with a woman to fight a dragon) where random dragon spawning is supposed to turn off, so not having those things flying around regularly and then leaving skeletons all over the place could also help avoid some bugs.

So the main aim is to get a load of shouts unlocked, start that quest and then go and play as I want. Was going to avoid shouts completely but that will cause problems in several areas so decided against that.

Almost sure to jinx it, but the game has only crashed once so far and approaching 15 hours. That might not mean much though because the save file has only just passed 5mb and it's later on when it's bigger that problems usually get worse. If I can't get the money for a PS4/PC though and this starts driving me mad again I'll maybe get an Xbox 360 to play it on instead.

Get on The Witcher 3 if you love Skyrim.

Not sure if I'll be able to get into it but might try it in the future. The main things I like about Skyrim are being able to create a character, choose what to do instead of following the main story (still no idea what happens in most of that), and to mainly play as a caster. The Witcher seems more of a storyline driven game (even if you can do sidequests in a huge open world for dozens of hours) where the combat is more sword-based, and I usually go out of my way to avoid swords if possible.

I'm in no way saying it's a bad game and will still give it a go if possible, I might not be best suited to it though.

Shit, think I've already turned off dragon spawning by mistake so will have to go back. If anyone else plans on trying this in the future (getting shouts but also turning off random dragon spawning later on instead of doing the main storyline) you need to avoid starting this quest until you've got enough shouts : http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:A_Blade_in_the_Dark

Unless you're on a pc of course and can use a mod. If you're on a console though you can get to the point of clearing out the Ustengrav dungeon but make sure not to pick up the note at the end which triggers the next quest starting.

Dragons will still spawn at some word walls apparently if you try it, so you'll still see them at those places but not randomly.

• 2 weeks later...

Am 40 hours into a new game on the PS3 and it hasn't been as bad as I thought so far. Regularly resting for days at a time to reset areas I've been to so that it reduces crashing and turning off dragon spawning has worked.

Trying to play as a mage with no heavy/light armour and using the alteration tree for defence (ironflesh mage armour at the moment), along with conjuration, destruction and restoration for other skills and perks that help the character. Only level 24 so still getting my arse kicked quite a bit against tougher opponents, but hoping that changes with a bit more levelling and access to better spells.

• 2 weeks later...

Still going well on the PS3, might be around 50 hours now and it's only been crashing occasionally. Have finally managed to order a pc though so should be moving over to that version as my first game. It's going to suck having to start the char off again from scratch though, had just started feeling settled with the one I'm using now.

And a bit off topic, but if there's one online game on the pc that I'm going to be virtually living in for a while, it'll probably be The Elder Scrolls Online (have already spent ages on Final Fantasy XIV, not sure if I'm going back any time soon, even if I do still have good memories of it.) Thought this video gave a good look at some of the areas :

Valenwood!

Made a quick video from The Elder Scrolls Online (first time I've been able to do so, never had a pc before that was good enough to play online like this and record), seems like an awesome game so far. Video might not be available in 1080p because it's just been uploaded, could take a while for that to appear yet due to processing.

Using a female char because a GF thread persuaded me to go gay plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clZUlSK4vFM

Am still going to hope that they set the next Elder Scrolls game in Valenwood too, it'd probably stand a good chance of being my favourite ever game.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just got a 1080p monitor after using an old 1440x900 one (and shit, the difference in graphics is insane) so am posting another quick Elder Scrolls Online clip because the quality should be better for some people to see. If I post one or two videos in the future they should be back on topic because I'm wanting to start modding Skyrim shortly.

The 1080p comment in the last post was because I didn't realise my monitor couldn't do that at the time, glad that's out of the way now too.

Finally : I'm using shadowplay to record which results in a fair amount of detail being lost, then editing in shotcut + uploading to youtube takes even more detail away. The actual game looks better when played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5_wdO8uSM

• 2 weeks later...

Skyrim is back on the go again, Elder Scrolls Online has barely been played lately. I'll try and make this the last post for a while too, just wanted to post a vid from this game before being done.

I think at this stage, even with the flaws it has due to bugs this is my favourite game ever now. There's too many reasons why to list.

Description for the video to maybe avoid some confusion :

This one probably focuses mainly on a weather mod called Vivid Weathers. There's also a fixed College of Winterhold Bridge, a mod for auroras and some texture mods. The camera is doing what it's doing in places because a camera console command on the pc was used.

The first video was a short test clip partly, so I didn't post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XRQRvdS1XM

Sorry, reposting because I've had to remake one part of the video and merge it all together again due to a bugged floating tree near Solitude's gates in one clip. I'd seen it in the game when playing but didn't notice that it was in the clip I'd used earlier.

Luckily the pc has a console command that you can use to delete items from the game so it was removed and I recorded again. Also saved all the files I'd used to make the video which allowed it to be redone fairly easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpR84-eJl8M

Well I went several full days without posting.

I thought the last video was a bit dull to be honest, so I'll try and make this the last for now instead. Have started getting into the DLC content as well so this reflects the game quite a bit better. And no there'll be no other posts with new videos shortly, really need a rest from doing this for a bit now.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up making another video so thought I'd post it, am running short on ideas now though unless I turn to mods, and I don't want to mess around with my mod list and risk screwing up my game/game saves (I have under 20 mods and am good with that for now, others use hundreds.)

So if I post back here it'll probably be months away. Am going to try and make one or two videos for The Elder Scrolls Online next (and not post them in this thread either like I did with a couple further back seeing as it's not really on topic.) There's Elder Scrolls forums/sites if I really want to share that stuff anyway so I can post there instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ped8WTp0OLI

• 10 months later...

Have just got Skyrim Special Edition for pc the other day and as someone who likes the Underworld films am amazed at this follower mod (it's also a Serana mod too and is here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8393 ):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Am trying to learn how to use mods to get decent screenshots at the moment and have been doing that way more than playing (some people spend quite a bit of time doing this and it looks like art when done right, so it had me interested.)

I should probably go and do some dungeons with this character shortly instead of taking pictures of her, my new char is only level 4-5 so it's probably a good idea.

• 10 months later...