You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC striker Nathan Eccleston under investigation by club after claiming 9/11

Skrtel Milk

Liverpool FC striker Nathan Eccleston under investigation by club after claiming 9/11 was not the work of terrorists - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

A YOUNG Liverpool FC striker was today under investigation by the club after claiming 9/11 was not the work of terrorists.

Reserve team striker Nathan Eccleston, 20, has caused outrage after his posting on Twitter on the 10th anniversary of the atrocity.

In it, he claimed the attacks were "an accident" and that he believed the "Illuminati" – a shadowy society spread across the world – were responsible.

Eccleston, who has so far made nine appearances for the Reds, wrote: "I aint going to say attack don’t let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #O.T.I.S."

OTIS stands for ‘Only The Illuminati Succeed’.

Now senior officials at the US-owned club have told the Manchester-born player he faces an investigation into his posting.

Today, the Tweet had been removed from his site.

An LFC spokesman said: "The club takes this matter extremely seriously and senior club officials have informed Nathan Eccleston that we are undertaking an investigation into the circumstances surrounding these postings and will decide on an appropriate course of action."

Fans were split over the striker’s actions.

Some took to internet message boards to defend him as "only young", saying he was allowed to voice an opinion.

But most slammed him, with some calling for him to never wear the shirt again and others labelling him as "idiotic, misinformed and basically stupid".

Eccleston joined LFC from Bury aged 15 and has spent time out on loan at Huddersfield Town and Charlton Athletic.

He gave up his number 39 shirt from last season’s squad when Craig Bellamy returned to Anfield last month.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure i read somewhere that more then 50% of the american people think there is something fishy about what happened with the twin towers. Why do we care what some youngsters think ? i think this is something liverpool football club should do nothing about and let people have their own oppinion on these matters.

On the other hand, all players should be banned on twitter.

I understand something as controversial as that should be kept private if you're a footballer but I don't think anything he said is bad and it definitely doesn't warrant him being sacked or placed on the transfer list. He believes the Illuminati conducted 9/11 while others believe it was Al Qaeda, big deal, I can't actually make my mind up. As for the matter being investigated what the hell are they going to investigate?

"You believe the Illuminati had the twin towers brought down for their own personal gain?"

"Yes."

"Ok."

Not bothered by this story one bit.

He's gone for this, I seen it on twitter yesterday, I told him as I'm sure thousands of reds did to take it down.

People are entitled to there beliefs, but when your a professional footballer it's best to keep them to yourself even if you think your correct.

Glen Hoddle all those years ago with the "Karma" comments, they were his religious beliefs, and as bonkers as they sounded that's what he believed, yet he had to fall on his sword for making them public.

I fully expect the club to terminate Nathans contract over this, I'm not saying there correct I just believe that's the action they'll take.

HE can believe what the fuck he wants, no matter how ridiculous. Investigate my arsehole.

Yes, he can believe what he wants. He's also telling other not to believe it was terrorist who did it. That bit he should have kept to himself. IMO.

Like it or not, footballers represent their clubs when on Twitter. There's nothing to stop them using it under an anonymous username if they want to. But they don't, they like have thousands of followers across the globe and, in the case of a young, unproven player like Eccleston, it's only because he's signed to Liverpool that he has this following. He therefore has a duty to the club to behave responsibly.

If he's stupid enough to post tweets that will insult people affected by a disaster on the tenth anniversary of that disaster then he can face the consequences. And if he doesn't know what the consequences are, then perhaps he should have spent more time reading the 'not bringing the club into disrepute' clause when he signed his employment contract & less time wondering which car he'd buy with his first month's wages

He will be gone after this nothing more certain in my book as for what he posted he can stick my name alongside it

To find a reason for it, look to see who stood to gain what, from what happened after 9/11

the money made by private companies providing arms and supplies and the contracts that where issued during and after the war in Afgan/ Iraq its no suprise that the only country to use atomic weapons and been involved in all the major wars since WW11 and the biggest Arms producer and supplier are all one on the same call them whatever you like Alluminati Yanks Black Opps CIA Dark Forces it doesnt matter they are working for there own ends