You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Walking Dead Thread (spoilers and zombies inside)

William_Ulsterman

Just watched the first episode. It's a weird series this, hugely watchable and yet somehow extremely dull. When you think back to what's happened in most of the episodes, not much has happened save for a good dose of shock-value moments which you'd expect from a zombie effort.

This seriously is a poorly done show. Shocking how little we as the viewers know about what the fuck is actually going on.

Isn't that the point though? To try and make us feel the same sense of confusion and fear as the characters? All we see is their points of view and how would a crew of ordinary people like that know if it was a retro-virus or an alien invasion or what? They wouldn't, they're just trying to survive.

Saw the first episode of season 2 last night, bit of a slow start but great shock right at the end.

This seriously is a poorly done show. Shocking how little we as the viewers know about what the fuck is actually going on.

The only zombie / zombie type film that comes to mind where you do know what’s going on is 28 Days Later. Most zombie films I can think of are very much like this series – you’re taken on the same journey as the survivors, not knowing what’s happened, if there’s anyone else alive, if there’s a cure or if there’s a realistic chance of survival or of re-establishing the human race as top dog.

I think this is excellent – lots of time for character development whilst maintaining the fright factor, such as the one in the woods in episode 2 last night that came out of nowhere to attack the woman. Superb stuff. It’s quite slow moving but you never know when something nasty is going to appear. Love it. I also th8ink the redneck is going to turn into a right hero, having been a complete tosser in series 1.

Isn't that the point though? To try and make us feel the same sense of confusion and fear as the characters? All we see is their points of view and how would a crew of ordinary people like that know if it was a retro-virus or an alien invasion or what? They wouldn't, they're just trying to survive.

Saw the first episode of season 2 last night, bit of a slow start but great shock right at the end.

The only zombie / zombie type film that comes to mind where you do know what’s going on is 28 Days Later. Most zombie films I can think of are very much like this series – you’re taken on the same journey as the survivors, not knowing what’s happened, if there’s anyone else alive, if there’s a cure or if there’s a realistic chance of survival or of re-establishing the human race as top dog.

I think this is excellent – lots of time for character development whilst maintaining the fright factor, such as the one in the woods in episode 2 last night that came out of nowhere to attack the woman. Superb stuff. It’s quite slow moving but you never know when something nasty is going to appear. Love it. I also th8ink the redneck is going to turn into a right hero, having been a complete tosser in series 1.

I don't think anything you have said there regarding what we know is anything wrong whatsoever. But, there is some things that this show has done differently to all other zombie shows/films that surely would require a bit more of a back story.

For example,

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Rick was in a coma and woke into the world. Surely he'd be asking more questions about what the fuck was going on. Or the fact, that they went to the CDC shows that they must've had some kind of knowledge of it and therefore some belief in that place being a haven for them?

Those things aren't anywhere close to the major grips I've got with this show. Continuity is one of the main ones. In season one

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

we had them having to cover themselves in the guts of the zombie so that they could mingle in between them and it had to be applied with gloves as not to contact the blood (which is fair enough if you wanna say no contact with blood but they can sense you)
but then we got in the season two opener

them just hiding under the cars to hide from them. What happened to them being able to smell/sense/whatever that you are there? Then we get the blonde bint stabbing a zombie in the eye and getting covered in blood. Has that rule changed also?

Something that I've found utterly comical in the opening two episodes of season two is the

slow camera move out to reveal thousands of the fuckers. They move slow as fuck, surely the arl get with the binoculars would've seen them earlier given it was a straight road for miles? Then we had this weeks episode that when they got to the Medical centre the snuck at the back of a few cars and actually said "lets have a look", had a look and there was loads of them. Can't you see through glass or the gaps in the cars that there is some of them fuckers there?

When the high octane stuff kicks off it's alright. But beyond that it really doesn't have much going for it. Actually, speaking of that type of stuff. Early on in the first season we had

the zombies giving up/forgetting what they was doing after a few minutes when trying to get into the house of that black father and son. Since then they just keep going until they get into wherever it is, like they did in the store in the second episode.

Still got the one armed redneck ready to make an appearance yet. I'm finding the show a bit slow and each episode the same as the last but TV is so shit at the minute it's worth watching even if it does seem style over content.

It's weird, it's hugely watchable, excellent television - and yet, nothing happens. I'm genuinely baffled as to why I really like it.

I do recommend reading the books as it fills in the glaring gaps the show is leaving. I hope they get back to the books as it shows the breaking and forming of relationships within the group and the arrival of new characters. They seem to have cut a massive important piece out of the original story with the series and i just hope they go back to it.

I think they will seeing as Kirkham is involved in the show.

Still very good though.

It's weird, it's hugely watchable, excellent television - and yet, nothing happens. I'm genuinely baffled as to why I really like it.

That is exactly how I feel also. I read out your comment to the mrs and she started laughing and saying that's exactly how she feels also.