You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite John Carpenter Film

Sugar Ape

Favourite John Carpenter Film  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite John Carpenter Film

• Dark Star
    • Assault On Precinct 13
    • Halloween
    • The Fog
    • Escape From New York
    • The Thing
    • Christine
    • Starman
    • Big Trouble In Little China
    • Prince Of Darkness
    • They Live
    • Memoirs Of An Invisible Man
    • In The Mouth Of Madness
    • Village Of The Damned
    • Escape From L.A.
    • John Carpenters Vampires
    • Ghosts Of Mars
    • Other - Please State.

• 1 year later...

Interesting. I have always adored  the early works, but could never get the love for Little China and They Live, I've seen them again recently and they are even worse than I remember them. Dark Star, Assault and Halloween are masterpieces, Thing is great, Escape hasn't aged too well but i still love it (that opening shot when the camera climbs over the wall) and the Fog is a bit silly, but Little China and They Live come across now as, well,  massive 80s turds. I tried to get people to explain the attraction of ham acting, plot holes and crude jokes, but it seems that "I just don't get it".

The premise of They Live is intriguing enough but the acting is terrible, the film is so poorly written and the ending is just so incredible you have to howl with laughter. I sort of get the deliberate dumbing down and B movie plot approach but it always leaves me thinking it may not be that deliberate after all. I guess you have to watch it from a certain angle but I still seem to be tilting my head the wrong way.

Of the more recent offerings, I guess I would pick The Ghosts of Mars.

I have a similar relationship with Walter Hill, whose early films to a great extent shaped what I appreciate in films (Driver, Warriors mainly) but who went on the serve up some pretty cringeworthy stuff like Last Man Standing and many more I'd rather forget.

• 1 year later...