You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite John Carpenter Film

Sugar Ape

Favourite John Carpenter Film  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite John Carpenter Film

• Dark Star
    • Assault On Precinct 13
    • Halloween
    • The Fog
    • Escape From New York
    • The Thing
    • Christine
    • Starman
    • Big Trouble In Little China
    • Prince Of Darkness
    • They Live
    • Memoirs Of An Invisible Man
    • In The Mouth Of Madness
    • Village Of The Damned
    • Escape From L.A.
    • John Carpenters Vampires
    • Ghosts Of Mars
    • Other - Please State.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The only thing that would make today better is if you were in bed with me.

Yeah, I'll be back in a minute. I've just gone to make a drink. Thirsty work, etc.

I fucking love John Carpenter films. Few turds, but he had an astonishing run of quality movies.

I think I'm going to go for Halloween. That totally freaked me out the first time I watched it. Close run thing though with The Thing, They Live and Big Trouble In Little China.

I love this quote from Halloween :

I'll do a poll, not including his TV movies likes Elvis, just his theatrical releases.

I'm something of a film novice, having failed to see an enormous amount of renowned as great quality ones over the years.  Always on the look-out for some recommendations and this thread has given me a good chunk to add to the list.

Repped for that.

First day off work for 3 weeks. Perfect so far, omelette and bagel in bed watching Big Trouble In Little China.

Might try and cram in They Live and Assault on precinct 13 today and The Thing and Halloween tonight.

I remember when my dad first rented out Big Trouble on video for us one evening after school.  Never watched anything so insanely brillliant and funny before.  Kim Katrall was gorgeous in it.

'China is here Mr Burton..'

Jack Burton, what a man.

When Jack calls Lopan 'Dave', never fails to make me piss myself laughing.

I got the Blu Ray from Lovefilm & the missus thought it was shite, unbelievable.

I'd go with Big Trouble in Little China myself or Halloween. My mate thinks Escape from NY is the best film ever made.

I've stuck They Live on my Lovefilm list, never seen it.

The Thing's his masterpiece, I always end up watching it whenever it's on telly. It's a great pub conversation film, as so much of the important stuff happens off screen, so it's intentionally ambiguous. I've wasted countless hours discussing it.

I still reckon it's got the best final line to a hero killing a monster, a nice simple "Yeah, fuck you too".

If you like the film, it's well worth checking out the novella Who Goes There, which was the basis for both The Thing and the 1951 film The Thing From Another Planet. I'd always assumed the earlier film would've been closer, and Carpenter probably deviated, but having only read it recently I was surprised at how much of the key stuff makes it into The Thing.

You can read it online here, the formatting's knackered in places, but it's still readable.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The acting in the thing is brilliant a genuine feeling of paranoia and fear. I always forget about it when people discuss the best sci if horror but actually I do rate it more than alien it's superb. Love john carpenter films.

I think it's streets ahead of Alien. Alien is ace, but in my opinion it's also overrated. 

• 4 weeks later...