You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite John Carpenter Film

Sugar Ape

Favourite John Carpenter Film  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite John Carpenter Film

• Dark Star
    • Assault On Precinct 13
    • Halloween
    • The Fog
    • Escape From New York
    • The Thing
    • Christine
    • Starman
    • Big Trouble In Little China
    • Prince Of Darkness
    • They Live
    • Memoirs Of An Invisible Man
    • In The Mouth Of Madness
    • Village Of The Damned
    • Escape From L.A.
    • John Carpenters Vampires
    • Ghosts Of Mars
    • Other - Please State.

I fucking love John Carpenter films. Few turds, but he had an astonishing run of quality movies.

I think I'm going to go for Halloween. That totally freaked me out the first time I watched it. Close run thing though with The Thing, They Live and Big Trouble In Little China.

I love this quote from Halloween :

Dr. Sam Loomis: I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

I'll do a poll, not including his TV movies likes Elvis, just his theatrical releases.

• Upvote 2

The Fog showed recently at the Whitley Bay lighthouse, as the audience left the staff set off smoke bombs outside and wondered around dressed as zombies - how ace is that?

They Live for me, not seen half of the films mentioned mind. He scores much of the music doesn't he? Genius!

It's they Live. This isn't a question, or a suggestion, it's a statement of irrefutable fact.

Just in case anyone doubts this:

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

[YOUTUBE]Wp_K8prLfso[/YOUTUBE]

The best fight ever:

[YOUTUBE]EsZpdUUdd3I[/YOUTUBE]

The whole thing:

[YOUTUBE]OWy2LBXjkxw[/YOUTUBE]

theylive1.jpg

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Agree with The Thing (my fave) but a close run thing for The Fog.....and not mentioned but Christine,state of the art special effects for its day and a great story of just how bad a chap can become!

Quality thread mate

So difficult to choose. One of my favorite film makers. Just a really talented guy who also wrote and scored many of the films he directed. His output in the 70s and 80s was just outstanding. Always hate to hear of any of his movies getting the remake treatment as they are nearly always terrible.

Went with Assault On Precinct 13. Agree with jacco maccaco on the music and antihero.

Could just as easily picked Halloween or The Thing closely followed by Escape From New York , Big Trouble In Little China or They Live.

Almost impossible.

They Live, Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing, Escape From New York and The Fog are all great, great films and I love them all.

Music-wise, he's a fucking genius too (esp Halloween and Assault).

I'm torn between Halloween and The Thing.

Pretty much what Brendan said, except I'm torn between They Live and The Thing.

The Thing is my choice though. It's one of the greatest horror films of all time.

The Thing is pretty near perfect in my opinion. Taut, well-paced and tense as anything. The soundtrack (by Ennio Morricone) complements the action incredibly well and the way Carpenter builds up the tension superbly.

Anne Billson's BFI Modern Classics book on the film is a really good read for anybody that's interested, as is the Alan Dean Foster tie-in novel (featuring extra scenes that were in the original script but not included in the film).

Here's the original story, John W Campbell Jr's Who Goes There?

Out of all the films you have picked Ghosts Of Mars? Madness.

I know ! it's guilty (but now public) secret.

I'll be honest in the fact that i haven't seen or can't remember seeing most of his earlier stuff.

But fear not this thread has inspired me to fire up btjunkie.org and accquire the entire collection for perusal at a later date.

• 3 years later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

First day off work for 3 weeks. Perfect so far, omelette and bagel in bed watching Big Trouble In Little China.

Might try and cram in They Live and Assault on precinct 13 today and The Thing and Halloween tonight.

Get some work done, you lazy cunt.