You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Isle of Man

Section_31

Always had a fascination with the place even though I've never been. What is to all intents and purposes an independent country only a stone's throw from the North West of England, where they used to whip badly behaved rapscallions.

It still has a distant oldy-worldy appeal. I remember writing to the Isle of Man tourist board when I was about 12 asking if I could come and live there because the woman in our close kept having parties and a few people had been stabbed, they wrote back saying only if I got a job. Fair enough like.

Anyone been, lived there? What were your thoughts on the place? The only two people my age who've been - one nearly topped himself after two days because it was so boring, the other said he was constantly questioned about where he was from and who he was, because he was 'new' (Port Erin this was apparently) although the birds seemed especially excited to see him.

It's a beautiful place Secsh, you will love it. Not just for the TT appeal, but the scenery and wildlife is smashing. Get the fast boat over and its cheap to stay there. My Dad goes every year, he used to ride in the TT races years ago, he loves it, stays in a Caravan, each year he goes, he finds a new trail to explore. It's small enough to see, but big enough to get lost in, if you so desire. A lovely place, the people are friendly and down to Earth, I can't recommend it enough.

• Upvote 1

I went there on a football tour with Bridlington Rangers when I was about ten.

I remember watching Days Of Thunder at the cinema, seeing loads of jellyfish on the ferry over, shit packups from the b&b we stayed at and my mate getting a nail through his foot whilst playing a game.

Been a few times. Tis beautiful and windswept and like stepping back in time a decade or two.

A mate lived there for a year or two and hated it terribly. He used to call it the Isle of Shite. Think it was more to do with a dodgy bird than the island itself

Guest The Chimp

Elvis off here lives there. He's sound Mark and am sure will be able to fill you in on the place. I went as part of a f@#*%^ll tour when I was fifteen and loved the place. Nice and clean, people relaxed. I remember it being very green.

We stayed in a guest house and staying at the same time were Ban Manners. We drove them mad in the end singing "Ipso Fatty" every time we caught sight of Buster Bloodvessel.

Born and raised there, left for NZ 5 years ago.

Nice scenery if you like that sort of thing, but you could save yourself a good few quid in boat or plane fares and just drive up to the Lake District if thats your bag.

TT fortnight is probably the best time to visit, but even thats not as good as it used to be.

Problem with the Isle of Man, as I touched on earlier, is its too expensive to get to. And theres next to fuck all to do once you get there. When you consider you could fly from JLA to the likes of Spain or Amsterdam for the same as it would cost you to fly to the IOM, its just not worth it. The Manx Government sold out its tourist industry in favour of the finance sector a long time ago.

Despite the above, I do feel some pride in my heritage. I just wouldn't recommend the place to holidaymakers. :-)

I don't know why, but whenever I think of the Isle of Man The Wicker Man pops into my head. It seems vaguely creepy to me, even though I've never been there.

I got offered a job there about 6 years ago which would have paid me about £8 grand a year more than I was on, but I didn't fancy it so I turned it down.

Hasn't it got the oldest parliament in the world?

Edit :

The Government on the Isle of Man is a parliament called Tynwald. Tynwald is over 1000 years old and believed to be the oldest continual parliament in the world

I first went over for the Manx Rally when I was 14 or 15 and loved it over there. Been back a few times since and hopefully will get over there sometime next year too.

It is very much like stepping back twenty years and the pub in the village we stayed in was like something out of the League of Gentleman but I really liked the vibe of the whole place.

Just seems very chilled and pleasant over there in general. Then again I've always liked peace and quiet hence why I love it up in Kielder and in the borders so much. If my numbers come up I would be buying a place over there.

I live on the Isle of Man.

Great place to live - no tax, no crime.

But I don't think it is a great place for a holiday, unless it is for a young family.

The TT is the best time to come, especially if you are into your bikes.

I live on the Isle of Man.

Great place to live - no tax, no crime.

But I don't think it is a great place for a holiday, unless it is for a young family.

The TT is the best time to come, especially if you are into your bikes.

No tax, no crime, and a gene pool smaller than a medium-sized Scottish council estate.

Guest ShoePiss
"Especially if you are into your bikes"

Yeah, because if even you have no interest in bikes, the TT races is still a great day out, comprising as it does, of an entire weekend of bike racing.

I've heard people say exactly that, sorry to fuck with your snide comments.

Mrs Rouser's best mate lives there. Her husband is a from Manchester and is a fan of a large sporting franchise form said city - it seems like about 40% of the population are scouse, 40% Manc with sporting allegiances split accordingly. I'm told there are some pubs in which my membership of this website would be very welcome, and otehrs in which it would gurfantee me a beating. It makes a nice (but usually wet) weekend away. Douglas is like a British seaside resort of the 70's and v nice when the sun shines.

You can make good money there if you are in Financial services, but not a great deal to spend it on I'd have thought.