You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lower League Action

Liverpool lad

I've been over to Tranmere a few times this season cos my missus is a big supporter who goes all their homes

Went last weekend vs Orient for a £5.

Better under Ronnie moore than the shite Les was serving up but still a shocking level of professional football it must be said

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blyth Spartans have continued to perform as badly as we did at the start of the season. 2nd bottom 10 points adrift of 3rd bottom and 12 short of safety.

Back to the northern leagues again by the look of it. Realistically only chance of survival is if some of the other teams in the division go bust. We wouldn't be the first to survive that way.

New manager had been Hodgson-esque in the way things have been carried out this season, from pissing off our best players to signing shite, to playing shit football. Now have Tommy Cassidy back but it's a near impossible task to turn it around.

Bamber Bridge is a good crack. In the days of watching Nob End, if they were away I'd take a five minute walk to Irongate and watch "The Brig".

If you're coming from Liverpool, head north on the M6 to Junction 29. Come off their on to the M65 westbound right to the end. You'll come to a big roundabout with traffic lights on. Go straight on to the next roundabout on the dual carriageway. Swing a right and take your next right go to the end of the road towards the bridge. The footy club is on your left behind the houses.

There's no pubs near the ground but the clubhouse is brilliant with some good ale. I suggest you stay clear of Bamber Bridge itself. It's an absolute shithole, inhabited by scrotes galore and the majority seem to be Manc fans. The footy club is good though.

I've been over to Tranmere a few times this season cos my missus is a big supporter who goes all their homes

Went last weekend vs Orient for a £5.

Better under Ronnie moore than the shite Les was serving up but still a shocking level of professional football it must be said

Went over once and didn't expect it to be so shit,always wondered if the lower leagues in Spain were as shit any one been?

Went to Prescot Cables last week for the first time, been living in Huyton for a few years but never ventured up to see them. I just took my son out to get some fresh air and we were going to go the retail park but I took him there and he loved it. They were playing some Manc team called Mossley and got beat 3-2. Had to laugh at some of their players though, they did think they were great trying all loads of flicks and tricks that just never came off, there was a bit of a melee near the main stand when one of their players clattered a Cables player but no one even got booked. If it was a Premier League game at least 3 would have walked.

When I lived in Crosby I woulld go and watch Marine quite a bit, one reason was because it was about 2 quid to get in as I was always skint and another to buzz off the moaning al bastards who would sit in the stand behind the goal that backs onto the railway line. They'd call players all kinds but they'd be the world's greatest if they scored and the al fellas would be like "told you he was fucking good". They'd all say "this is the last time i'm coming, I've been supporting them for 40 years and they are still shite".

They are probably the most unambitious club ever though, never looked into moving grounds even though that stops them getting promoted and had a windowcleaner as manager for 30 years.

Blyth Spartans have continued to perform as badly as we did at the start of the season. 2nd bottom 10 points adrift of 3rd bottom and 12 short of safety.

Back to the northern leagues again by the look of it. Realistically only chance of survival is if some of the other teams in the division go bust. We wouldn't be the first to survive that way.

New manager had been Hodgson-esque in the way things have been carried out this season, from pissing off our best players to signing shite, to playing shit football. Now have Tommy Cassidy back but it's a near impossible task to turn it around.

having watched Blyth in both games against Halifax this season I'm surprised at the low position, I know we beat you 3-0 at our place but that was during a great run of form and I've seen far worse teams than Blyth this season, I think Eastwood would struggle to stay up two leagues below

when i went on holiday to brazil me and my mate went and watched vasco da gama, flamengo and fluminense. We suffered footy withdrawl symptoms so went to watch botafogo who were in the lower divisions at that time. I think we paid about 6 quid for a 'vip' ticket which involved sitting on a leather couch with our own fridge full of ale. Some bird kept coming back with fejoiada which is a brazilian stew, fucking ace. They had a pokey little ground and we went there on a ferry. One of the weirdest experiences of my life.

• 2 months later...
Any recommendations for the upcoming season, what with the relegations and promotions that have happened?

Sheffield United and Coventry are ones I will attending this season due to friends supporting them.

I strongly suggest a trip to York City. Back in the Football League.

I'm going, defo. Possible last season at Bootham too. They've got permission for a new ground. Love it there, been about 5 times always enjoyed it. York is a great weekend too, well it is for me as we usually get a gang of 40 ish along and do a booze cruise on the Ouse.

I'm also giving Burton Albion a whirl this season. Also thought I might do Oxford.

I shall be taking Northern Premier League games this season following the first relegation in Blyth's history as I've lost pretty much all interest in the shite at the top level.

At least the Blyth lads seem to give a fuck. Might even try a couple of away trips to some of the glamour ties like Whitby and Matlock!

My wife used to live in Torquay so when I was down visiting I'd catch a game at Plainmoor every now and again. The standard was/is atrocious but adds to the occasion and the pubs are friendly enough. Went to OT last year for the play off final against I can remember. It was the same day Utd were in the Champs Lge final and the pubs around the ground were chocker with them in the afternoon, all singing anti Liverpool songs. My missus had to guide me out from a group of baying cunts who turned on me after I asked them to stop singing H'boro songs. To be fair the Gulls supporters who were around me backed me up.

I shall be taking Northern Premier League games this season following the first relegation in Blyth's history as I've lost pretty much all interest in the shite at the top level.

At least the Blyth lads seem to give a fuck. Might even try a couple of away trips to some of the glamour ties like Whitby and Matlock!

big drop in standard from BSN to NPL mate so would expect you to do alright but think it'll be a struggle to come above the likes of Fylde and Chorley who are splashing the cash, just make sure you beat those FC United bastards!

big drop in standard from BSN to NPL mate so would expect you to do alright but think it'll be a struggle to come above the likes of Fylde and Chorley who are splashing the cash, just make sure you beat those FC United bastards!

We've been getting outspent by Northern League teams for years. The likes of Durham City and Newcastle Blue Star used to beat us to players because we couldn't match the wages.

Haven't seen any of the NPL sides since we got promoted so it will be a lot of new names to watch play. I see Mossley are in the 1st Division now, they finished 2nd to us in the promotion season. With any luck me might be able to get Robbie Dale back and see if he can be highest scorer in England again.

We've been getting outspent by Northern League teams for years. The likes of Durham City and Newcastle Blue Star used to beat us to players because we couldn't match the wages.

Haven't seen any of the NPL sides since we got promoted so it will be a lot of new names to watch play. I see Mossley are in the 1st Division now, they finished 2nd to us in the promotion season. With any luck me might be able to get Robbie Dale back and see if he can be highest scorer in England again.

yeah remember NBS having Paul Brayson before they went bust and he signed for you and was meant to be on ridiculous wages for them, was ridiculous them playing at that ground with their fanbase, think when we went the crowd was about 5/600 but they quite often got less than 100 there, think Spennymoor are also now meant to be spending a ridiculous amount in the northern league, good luck anyway hoping/expecting the Shaymen to go up this season but if we do stay down I wouldn't mind Blyth being back in the BSN, would rather have it as a saturday game next time though!

Yeah Spennymoor are a team that we lost out on quite a few players too.

About 50 to 60 fans was the norm for Blue Star. At the time Jamie McClen was supposed to be on around £2.5k per week!

Apparently we tried to get Brayson back but he has ended up at Bedlington Terriers. Robbie Dale wants to come back but we can't agree or afford the fee with Whitley Bay.

The last time I saw Halifax play was when you played some really nice football and set out as a 3-5-2/5-3-2 kind of set up. Can't remember who the manager was at the time.

• 1 month later...

No respite from the depression to be found in the lower leagues this week.

Blyth went one down to Witton Albion early on, Robbie Dale equalised with a typical lazy but spectacular goal and we lost 2-1 with a penalty given away with about two minutes to go.

First home game of the season on Tuesday night against Stocksbridge Park Steels but I won't be going as I'm at work. I will however be there on Saturday for us facing Hednesford Town.

Great news Robbie Dale has come back be interesting to see what some of the new lads are like.

Edit: Forgot to mention that was Robbie's 100th goal for the club on his 302nd appearance.

• 4 years later...