You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lower League Action

Liverpool lad

To pass the time, Pierre suggested we go to the lower league games in the local area. So today we went over to Tranmere to watch them lose to Yeovil. Any lower league team you think are worth a visit? Got to be within an hour or so of Liverpool, not travelling all over the place to kill a bit of time of a weekend.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to a lot of shit football. But mainly in the south-east now. I usually numb the pain with rum or sherry, on top of my usual allocation of pints.

Round about back home I'd recommend:

Marine - swerve the nearest boozer, it's shit and head into Crosby village for a pint, oh and the chippy next door is not bad, but not as good as George & Angela's further down College Road.

Southport - not been to a game there for a while, some half decent pubs and cheap too in southport. Probably best going on the road running parallel and behind Lord St for a beer. Used to be a boozer call the Dungeon or something, never failed to slag off on there.

Chester. - maybe try and coincide the visit to if the Races as on. Chester is packed full fanny on such occasions. Never been the Deva, but did go to Seafield Park a few times as a youth.

Completely? As in not reformed?

Fuck if that is the case, that is terrible news. And I'm not sure how I missed it, I knew there was trouble but I assumed they would just reform or something.

I think a successor team was formed and play at the Deva Stadium. They are called Chester FC. But Chester City were wound up.

Marine is a good one, and I always thought the pub was decent next to the ground, called 'the bug' locally(the edinborough). you get a decent crowd if liverpool aren't playing at the same time. and the chippy is pretty good i would agree. what more can you want?

decent football?? no chance!

Yeah never liked the Bug. Always a Birkey drinker back in the day. Things do and probably have changed. It might be okay by now.

I think a successor team was formed and play at the Deva Stadium. They are called Chester FC. But Chester City were wound up.

Chester Football Club

Currently top of the league and crowd average around 2,500 which is fantastic. All credit to the supporters who have founded the new club and put a lot of their own time to get the club where it is. I have been to about a dozen matches this season and the standard is decent. Anyone living in the Chester area should get down to the Deva - Skem away next weekend - top of the table clash!

Yeah never liked the Bug. Always a Birkey drinker back in the day. Things do and probably have changed. It might be okay by now.

the birkey is better if you make the short trek but the bug is good for post match pint , sometimes with the players past and present, which explains some of the lard arses.

there's alot of advantages to lower league footy. at least i thought the was when i started typing but i can't think of any now.

the bond with the players and reasonable ticket prices. it used to be good at marine in the big cup games at half time, both sets of fans would walk past each other on the pitch to swap ends and banter each other, I remember a marine fan kicking in a inflatable mr blobby that the southport fans had brought with them to take the piss out of chris camden,a rather large fellow.a funny sight. what was my original point? er, don;t know if i have one.

hope this helps

the birkey is better if you make the short trek but the bug is good for post match pint , sometimes with the players past and present, which explains some of the lard arses.

there's alot of advantages to lower league footy. at least i thought the was when i started typing but i can't think of any now.

the bond with the players and reasonable ticket prices. it used to be good at marine in the big cup games at half time, both sets of fans would walk past each other on the pitch to swap ends and banter each other, I remember a marine fan kicking in a inflatable mr blobby that the southport fans had brought with them to take the piss out of chris camden,a rather large fellow.a funny sight. what was my original point? er, don;t know if i have one.

hope this helps

Lower and Non League is shit, let's face it.

But it's is more honest, i.e. Cheaper and you can meet the no Mark players.

I like it tbh, I wouldn't waste most Saturday's traipsing round Sussex County grounds if I didn't. The small victories count too, like a decent tea bar. Once got a free mince pie at Worthing with a kitkat and tea. I don't even like mince pies, my mate had it.

You get a good pint at Hassocks, or sneak in cans at Lower Beeding, Swear at George Parris at Whitehawk or see the game from the road outside the Dripping Pan at Lewes.

Anyway, lower, actually non league, there isn't a point. It's shit, but at least they appreciate your custom.

Lower and Non League is shit, let's face it.

But it's is more honest, i.e. Cheaper and you can meet the no Mark players.

I like it tbh, I wouldn't waste most Saturday's traipsing round Sussex County grounds if I didn't. The small victories count too, like a decent tea bar. Once got a free mince pie at Worthing with a kitkat and tea. I don't even like mince pies, my mate had it.

You get a good pint at Hassocks, or sneak in cans at Lower Beeding, Swear at George Parris at Whitehawk or see the game from the road outside the Dripping Pan at Lewes.

Anyway, lower, actually non league, there isn't a point. It's shit, but at least they appreciate your custom.

that's very true about the tea bars, made me laugh. good point about mince pies, very over rated.

It would never happen at a prem club that. Even though these clubs are practically all struggling to survive you find they are alot more generous and community spirited. paying £44 fr your ticket and godknowshowmuchnow for your programme and they wouldn;t give you a fucking cup of tea without charging when i was a steward. tight arses. £90,000 every week for Joe Cole and the stewards on minimum wage have to pay for a brew and stand in the cold all night.

there is even less point to supporting marine as they can't get promoted as their ground has only 3 sides.

that's very true about the tea bars, made me laugh. good point about mince pies, very over rated.

It would never happen at a prem club that. Even though these clubs are practically all struggling to survive you find they are alot more generous and community spirited. paying £44 fr your ticket and godknowshowmuchnow for your programme and they wouldn;t give you a fucking cup of tea without charging when i was a steward. tight arses. £90,000 every week for Joe Cole and the stewards on minimum wage have to pay for a brew and stand in the cold all night.

there is even less point to supporting marine as they can't get promoted as their ground has only 3 sides.

I use to go down Marine in the Early 90's when the Reds were away. The halcyon days of Eddie Murray and Roly Howard and when they won the Unibond Premier but couldn't go up.

I think most of the time I bunked in as a teenager. I feel pretty shit about it now. Bit C'est la vie.

I also watched a game from the window of a birds house I was seeing who lived in Jubilee Road. she wasn't much tbh and I was probably better off paying a few quid to get in. The view was shit from her brothers room, at least you could swear without getting ticked off (unlike Rossett Park).

Runcorn Linnets, got a cracking new little ground in Murdishaw, I'll be going again when it warms up. They always try and play football too, unlike a lot of sides at that level - and to be fair sometimes it costs them.

I like the fact these players are part time or completely amateur in some cases, one of the sides they played earlier this year had a CID commander at the back who looked like Combo from This is England.

I'm one of those who actually enjoys the lower league game.

Can't afford/justify the expense to go to top flight games for the most part so started going to Blyth Spartans before they got promoted to the Conference North.

The promotion season to the Conference North in 05/06 and the FA Cup run in 2009 are up there with my first trip to Anfield as a kid as footballing memories.

I'm one of those who actually enjoys the lower league game.

Can't afford/justify the expense to go to top flight games for the most part so started going to Blyth Spartans before they got promoted to the Conference North.

The promotion season to the Conference North in 05/06 and the FA Cup run in 2009 are up there with my first trip to Anfield as a kid as footballing memories.

Nearly went to Blyth this season, but turns out the weekend I was up there they were away. So I went to Whitley Bay vs Jarrow Roofing.

Not a bad little ground actually. Rough town but loads of cheap stag places with strippers.

Good time was had by all.

Nearly went to Blyth this season, but turns out the weekend I was up there they were away. So I went to Whitley Bay vs Jarrow Roofing.

Not a bad little ground actually. Rough town but loads of cheap stag places with strippers.

Good time was had by all.

Whitley Bay is about two miles inland from me. Seafront and that is all run down now but it's not too bad if you like to be out on the lash.

Whitley are a good club, sensibly run and managed. Generally feeling between Whitley and Blyth fans is OK and the Whitley Bay manager is one of our ex-players. It's Gateshead who get disliked.

The non league scene is fairly poor up here for the most part. Durham City and Newcastle Blue Star tried chucking money around but once the sugar daddies left both fell apart drastically. Jamie McClen (former Newcastle United failure) was claimed to be on £1200 a week for Blue Star with gates of 50 people being a good crowd for them.

Outside of us, Gateshead and Whitley Bay clubs really tend to struggle and to be honest we are struggling financially and in trying to get players in.

If anyone is up and does visit Spartans do NOT use the club for beer. Your far better of in the Masons Arms up the road. Beer in the club is abysmal.