You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness

Razoray

I never seen souness as our manager or playerbut whenever I have seen him on tv he always speaks highly of lfc and says he still supports us.

Doing an interview with that rag was obviously a big mistake but if he has apoligised maybe its time to move on from that and get off the guys back, every lfc fan that I have heard speak about him as a player says he was the best midfielder we ever had.

• Downvote 1

I used to live in Blackburn and had the opportunity to talk with when he was Blackburn manager - told him he was my hero as a player but that the rag incident had angered me. He said he would regret it for the rest of his days and convinced me that he was genuinely sorry. I was left feeling alot more respect for him - we all make mistakes and at least he apologised and admits it.

As a player he was the dogs and we would be lucky to get a player of that quality for £100 million !

I'm too young to remember him as a player or even as our manager. I've always been a massive fan having grown up watching Liverpool videos and playing as a central midfielder. I really like listening to him when he is on TV as well. He has an authority and knowledge which most pundits lack.

He was a fine midfielder who loved a scrap and never once shurked a challange a brilliant footballer as well mind i remember when he planted the flag in the centre of the pitch when managing in Turkey it was typical of him he could cause murder in an empty house

His mistakes are well documented and you cant take them back once they have been made but he always done the next best thing and said sorry for them and that has always been good enough for me

1st time to start a thread but felt it worthy.

He is on Goals on Sunday at the moment. He initially spoke superbly about how the club was run and the great times he had when playing and how he is still a Liverpool supporter.

He then went on to explain his events about the feature in the rag on the anniversary. He said whenever it's brought up that noone feels worse than him, that it hurts and it's something he has to live with.

He also went on to say that he got out of hospital the day before the cup final in '92, and travelled alone in taxis and by plane to the hotel near London. He said the writing was on the wall then as people at the club were pulling away from him even then.

A good and honest insight into a former hero of mine. Hard to forget the bad days with him but very easy to remember the very very good times.

I saw his last couple of years as a player, and I know people will probably disagree, but for me he is the most influential player to have played for us. It's a shame that it was overshadowed by his time as manager.

Still the best player I've ever seen for us. He made them great teams tick and anybody who has heard Sammy Lee's interview about what he did before the 84 European Cup final will know what a man he was. I know he made mistakes as our manager but I hope what he has said today will go some way to let him back into the LFC 'family' - for want of a better phrase.

Hw will always be one of my all time favourites

Still the best player I've ever seen for us. He made them great teams tick and anybody who has heard Sammy Lee's interview about what he did before the 84 European Cup final will know what a man he was. I know he made mistakes as our manager but I hope what he has said today will go some way to let him back into the LFC 'family' - for want of a better phrase.

Hw will always be one of my all time favourites

Please elaborate, cheers.

He was a fine midfielder who loved a scrap and never once shurked a challange a brilliant footballer as well mind i remember when he planted the flag in the centre of the pitch when managing in Turkey it was typical of him he could cause murder in an empty house

His mistakes are well documented and you cant take them back once they have been made but he always done the next best thing and said sorry for them and that has always been good enough for me

He planted that flag because the chairman of the opposition club Galatasaray had just beaten had remarked when Souness was appointed "what are they doing appointing that cripple" in reference to his heart problems. Souness was stuck with the flag and had just spotted this bloke in the stands and thought "have this you bastard" and jammed it in. I watched goals on Sunday as well and have to say my opinion on him has mellowed now after listening to him today. When he referred to one of his other big regrets, selling the senior squad, he said he was too hasty. He should've told them to stay until he found a good enough replacement but his attitude then was "how dare you this is Liverpool. If thats how you feel then go now" and he got shot and bought in below par players. He let his emotions rule his head. Probably something we are all guilty of.

Sure enough, RAWK, the forum that weeps torrents of tears whenever Rafa is criticised for anything, is fiercely against even the slightest softening of any negative attitude towards Souness. The context, of course, is very significant, but my god they're a pious bunch.

Sure enough, RAWK, the forum that weeps torrents of tears whenever Rafa is criticised for anything, is fiercely against even the slightest softening of any negative attitude towards Souness. The context, of course, is very significant, but my god they're a pious bunch.

Goatboy can probably elaborate more on this, but Souness pretence that he didn't know the strength of feeling about the paper has been completely demolished time & time again.

He's excellent on Irish TV, admitted himself in that link I put up he can say what he wants on it, but Sky won't let them as there afraid the clubs will give tge journos grief when there at the clubs

Just as well, after he sat in the RTE studio after the 8-0 exhibition against Besiktas, and declared that we "didn't play well tonight". If winning 8-0 isn't playing well, how have we played for the past 18 months?

Edited by mypost

Goatboy can probably elaborate more on this, but Souness pretence that he didn't know the strength of feeling about the paper has been completely demolished time & time again.

I know all about that, although there's still an element of presumptuousness in the argument, and, even so, what is the man supposed to do after countless apologies - submit to be burned at the stake by RAWK's Grand PooBah? I'm just saying their sanctimonious claim to be the sole arbiters of actual and intended and assumed moral crimes in this context is sad and condescending. Just look at the ludicrous mess they get themselves into when arbitrating on what enterprises owned or controlled by Murdoch constitute direct links with The S*n and which don't. Ignorant and bombastic claptrap. It must be handy when selective moral boycotts fit so neatly with one's leisure preferences.