You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

Guest ShoePiss
I have to say I like the way we've dealt with their bid compared to the way other clubs have dealt with our bids. A simple short statement without any dramatics.

Yeah it means we don't want to sell.

Lets hope we can still get 35m for him when he asks to leave in the summer.

More importantly isnt it a bit rich of us to turn down top dollar for our players but expect other clubs to accept peanuts for their players.

Which does beg the question if our transfer attempts this January are on a par with Everton medicals

Only Real Madrid have actually spent more than £40M on a player at any time. Barca did the crazy Zlatan deal last year and Citeh could do it at will. No one else has.

There is no way we can sell at this time considering the piss poor quality of our squad. Imagine going through the rest of the season with Ngog and Kuyt as strikers.

Lets hope we can still get 35m for him when he asks to leave in the summer.

More importantly isnt it a bit rich of us to turn down top dollar for our players but expect other clubs to accept peanuts for their players.

Which does beg the question if our transfer attempts this January are on a par with Everton medicals

Completely different situations Nick. The 2 teams we are dealing with are dealing with us. No matter about anything else they have named a price and have admitted that they are willing to let said players leave at that price.

Compare that to our unwillingness to even entertain a bid for Nando never mind name a price. Its simple really, Adam and Suarez are up for sale at a price. Fernando Torres is not for sale, full stop.

Guest davelfc

I was watching his body language last night during the game and I thought what a pity I've absolutely no idea or training in that area. I realise that doesn't stop others, but it should.

I was watching his body language last night during the game and I thought what a pity I've absolutely no idea or training in that area. I realise that doesn't stop others, but it should.

Ha ha. You should try it, it's dead easy.

Gerrard looked like he had his head turned last night, expect multi million bid from Wigan shortly.

Shirt sales alone doesn't even cover the collateral cost of what we would lose if we lost Torres. Yes he's the top selling name on shirts worldwide, but it goes beyond that. Selling our top scorer to a top team in the Premier League, putting our hopes on N'Gog and (who else?) and bringing in an untried and untested striker such as Suarez, would kill us. Abramovich might as well put in a cheeky bid to buy the club while he's at it. This is nothing like the Ajax situation because they want to sell, however the repurcussions of selling their star striker does bear some similarities.

Guest ShoePiss
Factors like shirt sales have to come into it too. Isn't Torres the biggest seller worldwide?

Yeah I read that, had been for a couple of seasons, I think if we said it wasn't enough for Torres rather than he's not for sale they'd come back with an improved bid, probably just over 40m.

At that point I think Suarez is a good buy at 20m, not that I'm suggesting selling Torres, I'm just thinking about the price we're willing to pay and the price Ajax believe Suarez is worth.