You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I would be very surprised if there is the brown envelope type of shadiness going on with refs,but there was/is other ways of teams getting refs swaying towards them.

I can remember reading about how the scum send birthday cards out to the premiership refs,also flowers for there wives on there birthdays.

They were well ahead of doing this type of thing than other clubs.IMO it would not surprise me to hear,that refs were also getting free tickets to matches sent to them or tickets to cup finals,especially were the mancs are involved.

So there are ways of getting refs leaning towards certain teams without the money backhander.

I not sure if all this is still going on as it was around 99 2000 season when I read about it.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vast majority are shit scared of Ferguson. The ref yesterday (hoy , woy or yoy ?) who didn't give the clearest penalty you will ever see against neville should be banned for the rest of the season.

Chris Foy, who is a rabid Evertonian. Has he ever refereed one of our games?

Dont worry Blatter is on the case. Just read this on BBC news. The Alcoholics are still running the Brewery.

You couldn't make it up.

----------------------------

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he wants to set up an anti-corruption committee to police world football's governing body. The move comes after allegations of corruption dogged Fifa throughout the bidding process and voting for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Blatter said: "This committee will strengthen our credibility and give us a new image in terms of transparency.

"I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa."

as started it ill give my opinion . i think there are corrupt refs in our league right now . as an earlier poster said theres certain refs who you know are going to give us nothing . one is martin atkinson every game we have him i dread it i know ill be on here later after the game reading how rubbish he is . i think you only have to give one big decscion to win a match steve bennet booked torres after brown then rio kicked him then sent off mascherano,, . ok fair all the pundits say its about time we stopped players mouthing off they all crowed to a man . was it the very next week bennet had the scum gave a descision against rooney and rooney as plain as anything turned ran at him screaming fuck off you cheating cunt several times . result bennet jogged away doing the old i"ll stare straight ahead i cant see you trick . why?? it defies belief was it a few seasons ago bennet had scum v wigan wigan was leading 1 nil scholes was booked 2 minutes later straight through a player bennet decide it s time to call him over and talk to him ,,,,, why ?? its ayellow he off scum down to 10 but no he gave scum a pen denied wigan one utd won the vital game these few decisions turn a game.

theres loads more,, for me im not convinced this league is straight something rafa alluded to once as well .

Footy ought to do a version of what they've done with the umpires in cricket -- referees should be assigned across leagues from an elite pan-european pool where they aren't allowed to take charge of games played in their home country.

I'd like to see Ferguson and his merry little band trying to bully some German copper who dons the black of a saturday.

as the title says are they ?.

is it so impossible for refs to be bribed , rob styles very suspect steve bennet martin atkinson .to name a few .

we watch every week and when they get obvious decisions wrong the pundits all say it swing and roundabouts , is it ? i venture you only need to bribe 2 or 3 top refs . its happened in Italy germany so why are we above it . im not convinced our league is honest but im open to persuasion ..

Has anyone on here criticising referees and refereeing standards ever refereed a game? It is probably one of the most difficult, loneliest and thankless jobs out there in the sporting world.

Yes referees make mistakes, whoppers in fact, they are only human. They have a split second to make a decision from a single angle. What they don’t have is the benefit of replays and vision from every conceivable angle like our beloved sky pundits.

Before aspersions are cast on referees and corruption in the game, supporters should look closer to home. Players are the culprits in 99% of refereeing errors or in lay-mans terms, players are cheating bastards. Referees have a tough enough job as it is without having to cope with the deceit of footballers at all levels of the game. Take away the cheating and referees will get the majority of decisions right. The problem lies with the governing body and they are not prepared to stamp it out. Why? IMO because it is considered gamesmanship in just about every other country bar our own.

Remember, a referee can’t give what he can’t see and just because we can see it, it doesn’t mean he can. I think we have reached a stage where third party intervention (use of a magic eye for goal line incidents) is almost inevitable.

Going back to the original question, are referees corrupt in our league? IMO I don’t believe they are. I think they are VERY inconsistent but I believe that most of the inconsistency is due to other factors out of their control. I think they are put under immense pressure by gobshite gaffers who themselves are under pressure to get a result. One manager springs to mind whose name I cannot bring myself to type. He is the worlds worst for it but is never taken to task and that responsibility lies with the FA. I think linesman have a bigger part to play in the modern game. At the moment they appear IMO to be nothing more than a refs lacky. They need to take more responsibility for big calls.

If the referee applied the letter of the law to every game, most teams would finish with less men than when they started. They are therefore allowed discretion and unfortunately some allow more discretion than others, especially to the top teams, with one in particular getting more decisions than the others and nobody will convince me otherwise. The new off side rule is just one instance. Does this mean that refs get back handers? IMO no, it’s just the way it is.

How could we improve refereeing at top level:

Stamp out cheating – Whatever it takes.

Introduce the magic eye for goal line incidents.

Stamp out players questioning refereeing decisions (The RESPECT campaign was introduced after the actions of the Chelsea players and to my knowledge only Mascherano has been punished for back chatting the ref).

Stop managers making comments to the media about referees before and after games by introducing touchline bans.

This won’t happen, the FA are spineless. So the refs will carry on with their inconsistency, corruption allegations will continue and games will be won and lost on the back of it all.

I also know of a certain referee from these parts who used to referee us v the mancs back in 80s/90s who was a man u supporter and used to be dropped off at the ground by his liverpool supporting brother in law!

My old fella was a daily workmate of said brother in law.

Now that wouldn't be Joe Worrall would it? He was never a Manc supporter!

Much:whistle:

Put it this way.

One of the refs who took charge of an England game in the 2002 World Cup was recently arrested as part of a massive heroin smuggling ring.

Personally I don't think "corruption" in the game is anything to do with money or bribery as such, just that pressures from certain quarters forces mistakes to be made.

It still stinks though.

There just scared shitless to make decisions. Every decision is analysed on tv and the pundits after viewing the replay in slow motion 4 times then have a pop at the refs. Also the managers blaming the refs for them loosing the game (sometimes justified) when really they should blame themselves. So now they are worse then before as a result of all this.

Corrupt? Who knows.

The thing is due to the genuine corruption that's rife throughout the FA and PL governing bodies (I'm convinced of this), the refs are under no doubt whatsoever that if they upset Alex Ferguson it WILL damage their career.

Add the fact that the whisky nosed twat has had cart blanche to bully the poor fuckers into submission with hardly a peep from the FA and media for the last 2 decades and it's not surprising that we see them get decisions like the Neville one time and time again EVERY season.

I've actually given up on us ever winning the PL again while they're running the show. As soon as we get close to them again we'll just see another Howard Webb/Steve Bennett handing them the points they need on a plate.

My only hope is that some journalist grows a set one day and exposes this shit once and for all, I honestly believe with a bit of investigative journalism you could write a book about the shite they've got away with over the years that would make people stand up and take notice. I won't hold my breath like.

I read this morning that Rio Ferdinand has only had two freekicks awarded against him since April last year. A truly remarkable record for a central defender. It was also the case that Phil Neville was never sent off until he signed for Everton. Anyone know how many times he's been sent off since?

They are only corrupt against Bacon face,its gone on to long now,I fuckin feel sick every time they do it,suck up his liver ridden balls because they are shit scared of him,end of story .and Rafa`s Rant was 100% right he just said it at the wrong time,I fuckin hate them all Mancs and Refs at Old Traffird