You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mendoza

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It wasn't a simple joke, it was a jibe at her alopecia. I thought it was quite underhanded. 

Yet takes the money for presenting them. Though I do have to declare my bias on this one, I fucking hate him. 

He didn't take money from Weinstein, or favours from Epstein was the point. I don't particularly like him either, but he was spot on in this case.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'm going with it being staged!

I think it’s very fishy but if he’s prt of a set up that involves his wife getting ridiculed then he’s a far bigger twat than for sticking up for her if it wasn’t. 

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

He didn't take money from Weinstein, or favours from Epstein was the point. I don't particularly like him either, but he was spot on in this case.

I meant that he pokes fun at the awards, whilst being happy to take their money. That said, it's the least of the issues I have with him. 

45 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'm going with it being staged!

It would be next level crassness to set up a staged stunt around joking about things affecting people like alopecia.

Perhaps Smith laughed uncomfortably at first and then thought fuck you, you're not getting away with that, or his wife wasn't happy about it and said something. I've seen a post that shared that GIF of Mourinho shrugging off an opponent foul only for delayed outrage when his couch mentions the player involved was already on a yellow, maybe something like that!

Smith is unhinged. Why is he so defensive about a woman that has publicly admitted to cheating on him? Such a weird family. And all the those defending Smith claiming Chris Rock's joke was cruel. FFS it's hair loss, she's not dying from cancer or something actually serious. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Few things at play here.

Rock does my head in, his voice goes through me and he's about as funny as having the shits while being on a five hour bus ride to Mexico city.

Smith, despite his veneer of affability, is supposed to be a twat. I've read stuff about him wanting to end cast and crew's careers because of perceived sleights.

I think he's wrong to have acted like that but also other people might not know what they've been through as a couple. For a woman to lose their hair is some next level psychological shit.

Also, I've never been that arsed about celebrities either way but they're starting to really grate. They pontificate endlessly about stuff like social justice yet live in gated communities. 

I went to see Chris Rock in Manchester about ten years ago. Thought he was going to be hilarious but his entire act basically consisted of speaking ridiculously fast, shouting nigger a lot, jokes about white people being scared of black people and thinking they are all criminals. 

When Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy do "black" jokes they actually tell funny stories that everyone can relate to and not just people who live in certain parts of America. 

Regarding Smith and Hollywood stars in general there seems to be some absolute twats around who bully and belittle people who are trying to earn a living on a low wage or have had to take years of unpaid work to get to where they are. 

23 minutes ago, elBooth said:

Wouldn't mind but Smith laughed at the joke.  Kind of ruins his protective husband stance.

We've all laughed at shit while privately uncomfortable. This was one of those cases where the person decides that no, fuck it, I'm not letting them away with it this time.  Something at some point of all our lives we've all wanted to do, or done, having initially tolerated the comment.

I'm not standing up for Smith. I've no time for him or the comedian.  I'm just saying it's not as simple as you're saying.

Also, a jibe about someone's alopecia in front of an audience of 100s of millions is a really shit think to do.  I'm not surprised Smith was furious as it must have been very upsetting for his family.

• Upvote 2

I thought he reacted after he saw the reaction of his wife. Previous to that he laughed it off or so it appears. 
Either way dick move by Rock and dick move by Smith to slap him live on TV.  Wait till back stage and have pop at him. 

I also believe there's history between Rock and Smith due to comments made in 2016. 

So, to conclude, a group of thoroughly unpleasant people were thoroughly unpleasant to each other, in front of other thoroughly unpleasant people, at an award ceremony run by thoroughly unpleasant people, and none of us thoroughly unpleasant GFrs are really arsed.