You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

Doesn't seem to matter what he does, he's still treated pretty appallingly and doesn't deserve to be the scapegoat, much of it might be light hearted but he deserves a lot more support.

He works hard and does his best, ultimately it'll probably never be enough as he's definately not a holding player but nor is he creative enough to offer more further up the pitch.

Don't know whether we'd get more out if him with a different style of play and if he was given a bit more freedom, and maybe if he had a but more support from the fans he'd have a bit more confidence. I don't think he's ever had his name sung properly and the groans every time he missplaces a pass can't help him.

He hasn't improved enough to be a regular starter but he's the standard of squad player we need who can come in and do a job.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair point, but you also know that it wouldnt have been the first time since we beat Newcastle away last season that he'd tried such a pass. (possible exaggeration, but not many spring to mind)

I dont know if you watched Madrid last weekend against Villareal, but everything went through Xabi and it was like watching our midfield of old, fluent, quick play, with 9 times out of 10, an intent behind the pass, rathe than just keeping the ball and not giving it away easy, which seems to be lucas' first priority.

I quite like the lad, and his improvement from 2 years ago is marked, but unfortunately while he playes there next to masch, he will continue to be compared with Alonso, and the comparison just cannot ever stand up.

You summed up exactly what I was thinking,

That pass for Torres yesterday was the first time hes pulled a throughball out of the hat in a long time.

Decent enough to be a squad player, good attitude and in no way deserving of the amount of abuse he gets. I like him.

Firstly agree that he gets too much non-deserving stick,

Secondly, he is a first team regular and will remain there as he is a Rafa type player.On the other hand AA is totally the opposite but warms the bench .

Life's a Bitch, hey

BTW, voted yes

That Darren Fletcher is a superb player isn't he.

Fletcher is an example of someone whos finally turned into a good player. Not world class but good and solid.

Only took him about 6 or 7 years during which time he was playing with loads of talented players winning titles.

I dont think him and Lucas are in exactly the same position.

What improvement? I honestly haven't seen any improvement in him since he first played for us. He is nowhere near good enough to be a FIRST team regular. Maybe a squad player but to have him start every week is unacceptable. Players of his calibre do not help teams to win titles. We need better than him - if only Benitez could see that.

I was the Emirates for the 1-0 defeat and I thought Lucas had improved since last season but he isnt good enough for us to be a regular.

Im not a fan of the 2 holding players epecially at home. Maybe in Europe if we are playing a top team in the away leg but not in league.

Masch is best defensive midfielder around so we dont really need 2.

I voted yes, probably should have voted unsure. But the way I see it, based on the performances of our so called regular starters this season. Lucas is far from the player who should be dropped first, in my opinion.

There are many players deemed better than Lucas playing worse than him this season .

I don't mind him , but he needs a bit of fire in his belly. He will chicken out of confrontation every time. I'd like to see him start pushing people about instead of shuffling away, and giving the ref's a good bit of abuse.

I don't think he has that in him.

He's our version of David Batty without the aggression. Having said that, every team needs a water carrier and Alonso rates him highly.

I think he should shave his head. No.2 all over. Make him look a bit harder.

I voted yes which isn't exactly accurate as I think we should start with Gerrard and Mascherano in most games. He is a very good understudy to Mascherano though, and I think he is good enough to be our defensive midfielder, only now we have two genuine world class players ahead of him.

I said last season that for Lucas to become a first teamer with us he would either have to improve vastly or better players than him would have to leave.

He's improved a bit, Alonso has gone and Aquilani is, well, let's leave that for now.

That's why he's in the first team at the moment.

Having said that, if it were Mascherano who had left last summer and Lucas was now playing alongside Alonso, I think I would view his contributions more favorably.

I can't dislike him and really don't understand the personal abuse he gets. He's far from lazy, he's never said anything to indicate a shite attitude, and he has never been disrespectful to the supporters who help pay his wages.

No, I don't think he is good enough at the moment to move past being a good squad player.

I can't help but think that if he were playing for someone like Sunderland he'd be a player people were talking about in terms of whether he'll move to a bigger club. I reckon he'd be seen in the same way as Parker when he was at Charlton.

The Brazilian dog or war tag is exactly right.

Step forward and receive some rep.

Saying that, Lucas is always first at the scene when there is a heated exchange.

He has taken shit, still takes shit (from our fans and oppositon players) but still he is here to prove himself worthy. If anything else he should be rated for that.

He is going to be great for us I think, if anything he needs to work on his attacking attributes which are clearly there.

I dont think its a confidence issue, more like following Rafas instructions to the T. He needs to show some more courage and do things his own way, which I think would see him improve even more.