You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

Am about 8-9 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda and think it's amazing so far. I got put off getting it earlier because of all the negativity surrounding the reviews and opinions of it, but I think the game itself so far is almost perfect for what I want. I've not played any of the previous Mass Effect games and I don't really care so much about the main story often in rpg's, so that's also helped.

With how good the worlds and the ships look, the exploration that can be done and the character customisation though am seriously enjoying playing it. Have always thought it was odd how I'd completely missed this series, it could've been because I thought they were just heavily shooter type games with a bit of rpg tacked on. Once I've played through some of the stuff I currently have will look at getting Mass Effect 1 and try to start up on the first trilogy.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:25 AM, Lee909 said:

It's good

Going to get properly stuck in next week when I'm off for 3 days. Got the first couple done and still doing a few dry runs in Mumbai. So much replay ability in the games and they've redone the Hitman 1 maps for more play too, so bought the upgrade to Hitman 1 aswell. 

Did Miami and Mr Bean and then went back and played all the season 1 levels again (getting a few gadgets unlocked etc).  Just done the Colombia level now.  Really enjoying it, as expected.  Not crazy about the way it pushes the stories in your face this time around though, should just be a matter of discovery rather than just letting you turn one on and following some simple steps to complete the mission.

9/10

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Am about 8-9 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda and think it's amazing so far. I got put off getting it earlier because of all the negativity surrounding the reviews and opinions of it, but I think the game itself so far is almost perfect for what I want. I've not played any of the previous Mass Effect games and I don't really care so much about the main story often in rpg's, so that's also helped.

With how good the worlds and the ships look, the exploration that can be done and the character customisation though am seriously enjoying playing it. Have always thought it was odd how I'd completely missed this series, it could've been because I thought they were just heavily shooter type games with a bit of rpg tacked on. Once I've played through some of the stuff I currently have will look at getting Mass Effect 1 and try to start up on the first trilogy.

Well, you're going to do a shit when you see Star Citizen (in a few years). 

image0.png

Football Manager 2012. I have this version and 2014, and I invariably go back to FM2012. Haven't bought one post FM14, and can only assume they have got progressively more tedious. Would love a way of just updating the database on FM12. Is that possible? Probably, but fucked if I know how. Could never work out what I was supposed to do with the download.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Sequel to the excellent The New Order that sees America under Nazi control and the developers using that to draw comparisons to the recent rise of the far right in the US. Once again a terrific mix of gunplay, stealth, high comedy, ultra violence and sincere commentary wrapped up in old school difficulty. It's not easy to mix all of those things together and yet Machine Games do it for the third time (after The New Order and The Old Blood) and it's one of the best FPS of this generation. Of course it didn't sell very well because people are idiots. 8.5 out of 10.

49 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Sequel to the excellent The New Order that sees America under Nazi control and the developers using that to draw comparisons to the recent rise of the far right in the US. Once again a terrific mix of gunplay, stealth, high comedy, ultra violence and sincere commentary wrapped up in old school difficulty. It's not easy to mix all of those things together and yet Machine Games do it for the third time (after The New Order and The Old Blood) and it's one of the best FPS of this generation. Of course it didn't sell very well because people are idiots. 8.5 out of 10.

The problem is that Bethesda have a policy of not releasing a game to reviewers so when it's released, it either sells as a result of marketing or as a result of the name. When the first Dishonored game came out, it was reviewed before release and it got universal acclaim. I purchased it on the strength of that as I'm sure many other people did. It also prompted a sequel, although I don't think that sold as well. Whether that was down to review policy or not I'm not sure but it doesn't really help.

They rarely make a bad game (although Fallout 76 has fallen flat) but they either sell loads (Doom) or flop (Wolfenstein) but the quality is unmistakable.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

I've played 1,do I need to play old blood first? 

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The problem is that Bethesda have a policy of not releasing a game to reviewers so when it's released, it either sells as a result of marketing or as a result of the name. When the first Dishonored game came out, it was reviewed before release and it got universal acclaim. I purchased it on the strength of that as I'm sure many other people did. It also prompted a sequel, although I don't think that sold as well. Whether that was down to review policy or not I'm not sure but it doesn't really help.

They rarely make a bad game (although Fallout 76 has fallen flat) but they either sell loads (Doom) or flop (Wolfenstein) but the quality is unmistakable.

Loved the first dishonoured. 

Really interesting game. Need to give it another go after I get through what I have. 

I always thought fallout 76 was a bad idea. Not everyone wants multilayer and skyrim, fallout where one of the decreasing number of single player games. I need to try fallout again. Never liked 3,just never got into it and hated that combat system and shot placement thing. 

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, you're going to do a shit when you see Star Citizen (in a few years).

Haha, yeah I've been following that game too, it looks crazily good. Was just looking at some recent updates the other day (Lorville city mostly), not going to attempt my pc running it though, it'd probably destroy it.

As for Andromeda, several of the human character models and animations (especially speaking, expressions) are one of the weakest parts of the game I think, and one of the reasons it got a lot of negativity directed at it. After playing though I thought it was unfair really because almost everything else looks amazing (they also released a patch improving the human characters a bit too a while back.) Some of the environments for me are easily up there with Horizon Zero Dawn.

There's some screenies here that look a lot better :

Mass Effect: Andromeda

"Starchaser"

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Descend into the unknown

Mass Effect Andromeda - A trail of hope

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Loved the first dishonoured. 

Really interesting game. Need to give it another go after I get through what I have. 

I always thought fallout 76 was a bad idea. Not everyone wants multilayer and skyrim, fallout where one of the decreasing number of single player games. I need to try fallout again. Never liked 3,just never got into it and hated that combat system and shot placement thing. 

Dishonored was a fabulous game but it's one I never completed so I look forward to trying that one again. I have a tendency to not complete games which is annoying, but some games tend to get harder and harder and they're almost unplayable at the end. Wolfenstein's games were brilliant and I finished the first two but only got half way through the third. Brilliant but hard.

11 hours ago, Pidge said:

Did Miami and Mr Bean and then went back and played all the season 1 levels again (getting a few gadgets unlocked etc).  Just done the Colombia level now.  Really enjoying it, as expected.  Not crazy about the way it pushes the stories in your face this time around though, should just be a matter of discovery rather than just letting you turn one on and following some simple steps to complete the mission.

9/10

Agree with the story point. 

I found the game a bit easy for large parts of it. Some of the challenges are harder though. The stories just give you a straight up walk through at times. 

They say the music you like as a 14 year old is the music you'll always enjoy most. Wonder if there's a similar age for games? I prefer the graphics and game styles of the late 90's. With lesser graphical fidelity game developers had to focus more on gameplay and immersion.

12 minutes ago, Hades said:

They say the music you like as a 14 year old is the music you'll always enjoy most. Wonder if there's a similar age for games? I prefer the graphics and game styles of the late 90's. With lesser graphical fidelity game developers had to focus more on gameplay and immersion.

There were just as many unplayable and unresponsive games in the 90s and early 2000s as there are now with the advent of HD graphics. It's still essential for a game to be playable and enjoyable and if the graphics are highly detailed and smoothly rendered then this is the whole package.

18 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

There were just as many unplayable and unresponsive games in the 90s and early 2000s as there are now with the advent of HD graphics. It's still essential for a game to be playable and enjoyable and if the graphics are highly detailed and smoothly rendered then this is the whole package.

Perhaps. Part of the joy of art for me is seeing the mastery - how the director has worked within limitations to demonstrate creative talent or genius. If anything is possible (thanks to graphics) then it cheapens the level of artistry. We're drawn to sport for the same reason and feel an instinctual revulsion at chemical and financial dopers.

10 minutes ago, Hades said:

Perhaps. Part of the joy of art for me is seeing the mastery - how the director has worked within limitations to demonstrate creative talent or genius. If anything is possible (thanks to graphics) then it cheapens the level of artistry. We're drawn to sport for the same reason and feel an instinctual revulsion at chemical and financial dopers.

If anything, knowing there is all that graphical power at your fingertips but still being able to come up with a driven story, good pacing, incremental difficulty, smart but not overly so AI and most importantly I'd say a sense of achievement would most definitely show a sense of mastery in their art. 

There's no need to focus on graphical fidelity. You can if you want, because the tools are there. But there are plenty of games that come out with similar graphics to the 90s. Most of them are shit, too. Most games are shit. As we get older, the appeal of that sort of stuff lessens. 

Artistry isn't locked to shit graphics or tools, it's free from it. a good game is good regardless of graphics. 

17 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Pretty sure it was reviewed before release but it's main issue is it was released the same day as Assassin's Creed Origins and Super Mario Odyssey. A baffling publishing decision.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I last played Battlefront II last night. Personally love it. 8/10 

I got this for my lad last Christmas but he binned it off and went back to playing the first one. A few months back though he gave it another go and absolutely loves it now.

20 hours ago, Hades said:

Fuck sake, I was hoping I'd grow out of Westlife.

Have played Mass Effect Andromeda for around 22 hours and I think it's the best game I've played in quite a while. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 so far because it has exactly what I wanted : good rpg elements, exploration, loads of missions, assignments and tasks to do along with items to collect and/or craft, environments look amazing and sound is good. Am even enjoying the combat a lot along with the story progression whenever I go back to it after doing other stuff (liking the combat so much is possibly the biggest single surprise of the game for me so far.)

The two squadmates that I've decided to stick with on this playthrough (Jaal and Vetra, I can't be doing with levelling loads of characters so they're staying with me now that I've picked them) are also funny at times as they talk when we're exploring in the nomad and I've grown to like them, so that's cool too.

The main story is the only thing that I might not be that bothered with if I get through it, but I wasn't so bothered with Skyrim's story after eventually completing it and it's still one of my fave ever games for so many other reasons, so that could be similar here. After looking around a bit on different sites the game does seem to have a good number of genuine fans as well, maybe that's not so well known with the drama around release having been such a big thing instead.

I don't know how long it's gonna last, but there's easily most of the games content still to play through and discover, then there's trying replays with different builds and squadmates if I stick with it, so probably quite a lot of playability yet.