You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The law is now a parody of itself. Those who thought barmy right wingers were just being thick when claiming the law on many occasions favoured the rights of the criminal and not the victim should take notice of this.

Homeowner jailed for tackling burglar - Crime, UK - The Independent

Homeowner jailed for tackling burglar

A businessman who fought off knife-wielding thugs threatening to kill his family was jailed for 30 months yesterday.

Munir Hussain and his wife and children returned from their local mosque during Ramadan to find three intruders, wearing balaclavas, in their home.

He feared for their lives as their hands were tied behind their backs and they were forced to crawl from room to room.

The 53-year-old made his escape after throwing a coffee table and enlisted his brother Tokeer in chasing the offenders down the street in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, bringing one of them to the ground.

What followed was described in Reading Crown Court as self-defence that went too far, leaving intruder Walid Salem with a permanent brain injury after he was struck with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces.

Salem was the only intruder caught after the incident on September 3 2008, but his injuries meant he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment.

Salem, who has a string of 50 past convictions, was given a two-year supervision order at a court hearing in September this year. He is currently in custody awaiting trial for an alleged credit card fraud.

The brothers, described as family men at the heart of the local community, were found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after a trial earlier this year. The prosecution alleged two other men took part in the so-called "revenge attack" with them.

Tokeer Hussain was given a 39-month sentence because Judge John Reddihough decided he had not been subject to as much provocation as his brother.

Judge Reddihough said Munir Hussain's family had been subject to a "serious and wicked offence" and praised the bravery of his teenage son who escaped to raise the alarm.

He also noted the "courage" of Munir Hussain, but said he carried out a "dreadful, violent attack" on Salem as he lay defenceless.

The judge told them: "It may be that some members of the public, or media commentators, will assert that the man Salem deserved what happened to him at the hands of you and the two others involved, and that you should not have been prosecuted and need not be punished.

"However, if persons were permitted to take the law into their own hands and inflict their own instant and violent punishment on an apprehended offender rather than letting justice take its course, then the rule of law and our system of criminal justice, which are the hallmarks of a civilised society, would collapse."

But it's a hallmark of civilised society to allow criminals who have over 50 fucking convictions to roam free and commit MORE crimes since this incident?

What a fucking sham. The judge should be sacked and the true victim, who has been locked up should be freed and awarded a medal for standing up to the scum of society.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So badly 'brain damaged' that he went on to commit credit card fraud?

Like I said, he's a cunt. But violence is not the answer. To smash a cricket bat over his head is too far. Rough him up a bit, punch him or whatever. But to break a cricket bat after hitting him so hard over the head? What do you expect? I'm not saying the cunt's sentence was fair. It wasn't. The guy is obviously not going to stop. But the other lads needed punishing for such an attack. No one was in the right in this situation.

So the guy that didn't get robbed brained someone by hitting them so hard the bat smashed into 3 bits and caused the guy a brain injury and you think he shouldn't be jailed?

Er, yeah he avoided getting robbed because he had the balls to fight back.

I think he's a hero. So he left a career criminal, a worthless blight on society with mild brain damage. Who gives a fuck about him? 50 previous convictions should mean a permanent jail term. In the US the homeowner would have been justified in shooting the intruder dead and would have been applauded for it. In this country we scorn those who defend their homes and families, and for dishing out some righteous retribution.

Er, yeah he avoided getting robbed because he had the balls to fight back.

I think he's a hero. So he left a career criminal, a worthless blight on society with mild brain damage. Who gives a fuck about him? 50 previous convictions should mean a permanent jail term. In the US the homeowner would have been justified in shooting the intruder dead and would have been applauded for it. In this country we scorn those who defend their homes and families, and for dishing out some righteous retribution.

We don't scorn people for defending themselves at all. Thats not what he was doing and you know that. One life is not more important than another. It doesn't matter that it was a career criminal that he did it to. What matters is that he did it to anyone. Don't try to use the US justice system to back you up cos if anything it weakens your argument. "Righteous retribution" is exactly where you've gone wrong here. Its exactly what the judge, rightly, warns against in the ironically bolded paragraph that points out exactly why the man had to be jailed.

We don't scorn people for defending themselves at all. Thats not what he was doing and you know that. One life is not more important than another. It doesn't matter that it was a career criminal that he did it to. What matters is that he did it to anyone. Don't try to use the US justice system to back you up cos if anything it weakens your argument. "Righteous retribution" is exactly where you've gone wrong here. Its exactly what the judge, rightly, warns against in the ironically bolded paragraph that points out exactly why the man had to be jailed.

I say 'righteous retribution' because the intruder has NOT been punished for breaking into another man's home and holding his family hostage. Since he escaped official punishment due to an incompetent judge, a swing of a cricket bat delivered by the victim borders on justified punishment.

I don't see how any sane or rational person could honestly oppose this. What he did went way beyond reasonable self-defence. You don't have carte blanche to run down the street after a fleeing burglar and stove his head in with a cricket bat while he lies unconscious on the ground.

I don't see how any sane or rational person could honestly oppose this. What he did went way beyond reasonable self-defence. You don't have carte blanche to run down the street after a fleeing burglar and stove his head in with a cricket bat while he lies unconscious on the ground.

Oh do shut up, everyone knows that you left wing loonies are just waiting to seize power so you can release all the paedos, idiots like you are the reason society is falling apart. Fucking hippy.

Seriously though, the thread looks to have been started by someone who cant't comprehend the difference between self defence and a revenge attack. If you chase someone down with 4 of your mates and proceed to bash the fuck out of his head with a cricket bat you deserve everything you get. If he had taken a bat to the burglar defending his family from the thugs I'd agree that he'd done right, but what he did had nothing to do with protecting his family and everything to do with revenge and satisfying his bloodlust, he's a fucking moron who deserves that sentence.

They chased him down the road.

Granted, I'd do the same fucking thing... but I'd expect some sort of backlash for it.

If I was alone I'd probably have chased the fucker down as well, but I definitely wouldn't have cracked his skull and left him brain damaged.. I most certainly wouldn't have given chase if I had my wife and kids there though,getting them out of harms way would matter more to me than getting back at the tit. This fella obviously had different priorities.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The law is perfectly fair in this scenario. You are allowed to use appropriate force, which is something that may even including killing them, to defend yourself.

What you can't do, an should not be able to do, is chase somebody, catch them, and then beat their head in with a cricket bat. If he had hit him once around the head with a cricket bat when he was being attacked with a knife, there would have been nothing doing. You just can't accept vigilantism when it involves tracking down a fleeing criminal and then beating his head in.

The law is clear and fair.

I had two lads try to break into my house about 18 months ago, it was the middle of summer on a Saturday and I was in the lounge watching M*TD. It was a really nice evening so I had the window open.

The missus was upstairs in bed reading and the dogs were upstairs too. As I'm sat watching the tele these two lads, who were completely off their tits on something other than ale started to climb through the window.

I'm sat less than four foot away from the window and they are that fucked they hadn't even seen me, as they are coming through the window they are talking to each other saying they'll take the telly, DVD player and look for the car keys for the two cars on the drive.

Anyway the first lad received a bit of a slap and the second had his nose broken. By the time I had got to the front door they had ran off up the drive so I went back to check on the missus as she was shouting after me worried.

As I'm upstairs checking on the missus the little cunts had come back and started to climb through the window again, this time I'd really lost my rag and shouted at them that 'I'd fucking kill them this time' of course I had no intention of doing so but I was very angry and they were going to have more than a few cuts and bruises.

I also brought the dogs down with me and told these scumbags I was going to let the dogs lose on them. The pricks obviously weren't going to hang around this time and had disappeared by the time I had got outside.

During all of this the missus had called the police, although I was unaware of this. They arrived pretty rapidly to be fair to them as I was still outside the house with the dogs checking the little fuckers had gone for good.

I obviously explained everything to the two coppers when questioned and couldn't believe their reaction. I was told I should not have hit either of them, I should have just shouted at the little twats and called the police. I was also told if either of the dogs had bit either of these bastards I would have been charged and the dog destroyed.

You can imagine my reaction to these coppers, and informed them that there was no fucking way in this world or the next that my dogs would have been destroyed. Eventually a more senior officer was called who came and sent the two coppers off and apologised to me.

Hardly fills you with confidence does it?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I had two lads try to break into my house about 18 months ago, it was the middle of summer on a Saturday and I was in the lounge watching M*TD. It was a really nice evening so I had the window open.

The missus was upstairs in bed reading and the dogs were upstairs too. As I'm sat watching the tele these two lads, who were completely off their tits on something other than ale started to climb through the window.

I'm sat less than four foot away from the window and they are that fucked they hadn't even seen me, as they are coming through the window they are talking to each other saying they'll take the telly, DVD player and look for the car keys for the two cars on the drive.

Anyway the first lad received a bit of a slap and the second had his nose broken. By the time I had got to the front door they had ran off up the drive so I went back to check on the missus as she was shouting after me worried.

As I'm upstairs checking on the missus the little cunts had come back and started to climb through the window again, this time I'd really lost my rag and shouted at them that 'I'd fucking kill them this time' of course I had no intention of doing so but I was very angry and they were going to have more than a few cuts and bruises.

I also brought the dogs down with me and told these scumbags I was going to let the dogs lose on them. The pricks obviously weren't going to hang around this time and had disappeared by the time I had got outside.

During all of this the missus had called the police, although I was unaware of this. They arrived pretty rapidly to be fair to them as I was still outside the house with the dogs checking the little fuckers had gone for good.

I obviously explained everything to the two coppers when questioned and couldn't believe their reaction. I was told I should not have hit either of them, I should have just shouted at the little twats and called the police. I was also told if either of the dogs had bit either of these bastards I would have been charged and the dog destroyed.

You can imagine my reaction to these coppers, and informed them that there was no fucking way in this world or the next that my dogs would have been destroyed. Eventually a more senior officer was called who came and sent the two coppers off and apologised to me.

Hardly fills you with confidence does it?

People, including the police, make mistakes. I don't know if they were threatening or had weapons or whatever, so making a judgement (which isn't really for me to do, anyway) is hard. However, I wouldn't have said that a jab would have got too far in court after your solicitor had said his piece about how frightened you were about them attacking you. Pre-emptive self defence is written into law, so you'd have been fine.

People, including the police, make mistakes. I don't know if they were threatening or had weapons or whatever, so making a judgement (which isn't really for me to do, anyway) is hard. However, I wouldn't have said that a jab would have got too far in court after your solicitor had said his piece about how frightened you were about them attacking you. Pre-emptive self defence is written into law, so you'd have been fine.

To be fair mate there was no chance it would have even got to court, it was when the two jumped up tossers started trying to say the dogs would have been destroyed if they had bit either of the scroats that I lost my rag with them.

The elder, more senior officer was very happy with the way it had been handled, prasied the dogs and kept apologising for the other two coppers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
To be fair mate there was no chance it would have even got to court

I only meant in the event that the police tried to prosecute you. But yeah, you're right. It sounds a joke.

it was when the two jumped up tossers started trying to say the dogs would have been destroyed if they had bit either of the scroats that I lost my rag with them.

The elder, more senior officer was very happy with the way it had been handled, prasied the dogs and kept apologising for the other two coppers.

Yeah, sound like dicks.

I can honestly say that if the bloke had come into my house and I'd chased him with my cricket bat, he'd have suffered nothing more than a thick edge. And only if he'd been standing outside off, I'm shit off my legs.

Quality.

If he'd have stoved the guys head in on the living room floor then I could have lived with that, the fear of an intruder getting back up and retaliating is enough justification for someone going a bit heavy on the head stoving in my opinion. Once you're chasing someone down the street with mates to do them in I reckon you've passed the point of self-defence and you're quite clearly in the territory of attempted murder.

Guest Pistonbroke

Predetermined attack after the initial event happened = breaking the law = jail sentence = correct.

Plus why run down the street after them ? I'd have been comforting my family and making sure they were OK ( with a baseball bat in my hand in case the scroats came back ) whilst waiting for the bizzies to turn up.

Like most on here have said, if he had knocked the shite out of them in his own home during the ordeal then things would have been looked at differently by the law and the public.

So the guy that didn't get robbed brained someone by hitting them so hard the bat smashed into 3 bits and caused the guy a brain injury and you think he shouldn't be jailed?

He should of lynched the cunt from a tree in his front garden.

You break in to someone's house you deserve what you get from the house owner.

We've been robbed a few times when I was little, god help anyone who does it now.

The law in this country is a total joke but we already know that.

British justice pisses me off as much as the next man, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

leaving intruder Walid Salem with a permanent brain injury after he was struck with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces.

Saying that though, I've still got a soft spot for Tony Martin, and one day hope to see him awarded a mini-gun and a blanket Queen's pardon by the National Lottery.