You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAN DER VAART - THE 13M ANSWER FOR REDS?

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Crouch :(

Me too:whoops:

His smile, his dance, his skinny legs. And of course his ability on the flying volley. Unprecedented.

I don't miss the hoofing his presence in the side seemed to trigger, though, and I notice Spurs often resort to the same. Not the big fella's fault, mind.

Me too:whoops:

His smile, his dance, his skinny legs. And of course his ability on the flying volley. Unprecedented.

I don't miss the hoofing his presence in the side seemed to trigger, though, and I notice Spurs often resort to the same. Not the big fella's fault, mind.

[YOUTUBE]l4BVJy1jHRo[/YOUTUBE]

Legend. I think I will go cry now.

I'd be made up with Carlton Cole, just what we need I think.

I agree.

Cole is ready to make the step up and if we dont nick in and grab him then someone like Arsenal will and i'd dread to see that show.

Alan Smith on Sky said Wenger had been looking and seriously considering it so I'd love to see us nip in and grab him.

As for VDV, we should of took him when we sold them Xabi.

Cole and Van Der Vaart would be brilliant January business but I cant see it happening.

Cole's got a touch of the 'Darren Bents' about him for me. Great at a medium sized club were he's top dog, but hasn't got the right amount of self belief to handle competition for places at a bigger club. Haven't really got any facts to back this up - it's just the impression he gives me when I've seen him play. Head goes down quite easily.

VDV, remember watching him rip apart Liverpool over in the Amsterdam Tournament when he was a 17/18 year old winger. I've been a fan of his since but I don't think he's the same player now and his time has passed a bit. Couldn't we have got him for next to nothing last summer anyway?

I didn't used to rate Cole, however he has really improved under Zola. He lookes confident and a different player. I am a big fan of Ngog and I think he's going to have a bright future, however it has been a big ask for him to cover for Torres and I think it is a year or two early for him to do so.

Someone like Cole would really have been a boost. I think we've lacked a physical approach upfront since Crouch left and he would have provided that. He'd improve the English quota, he's got a good all round game.

Re: VDV. I don't think he'll enhance our first team. Then again I guess depth is more of a problem. I don't think it is worth a 13 million risk, as he's not really lived up to the hype. Rather keep Babel, how can change the odd game from time to time, than take another 13 million punt, that we can't really afford to.

VDV is just an average player. Probably an improvent on Lucas but that is all. Never seen anything special from him, but in his advantage have to say that I saw maybe 10 full 90- minutes- matches with him, so maybe it is hard to judge.

Our biggest mistake during summer was that we did not buy Marek Hamsik from Napoli instead of Aquilani. There have been some rumours and there were interviews in Slovakia where he admitted, that he would like to play with Skrtel in the same team. And for 20 mil. he would be aproachable.

Some could say that I am biased cause it´s my countryman, but that guy is fantastic. Never injured, excellent goal scoring record as a midfielder, can play also as a holding midfielder but also as a winger.

I am affraid that with Chelsea and United after him probably in winter his price will be higher now.

Cole would be fine as a back up but Bent is level above. But Bent is impossible for now.

I don't agree about Darren Bent.

I think he could have been a great back up for us here. Wasn't he top scorer for Spurs last season despite not having a manager who rated him and wasn't first choice?

He has scored goals, where ever he's played.

Bent's a better goal poacher than Carlton Cole, but cole is more of a nuisance to defenses in that he puts himself about a bit more. Under normal circumstances neither are Liverpool class, but given our current situation something is better than nothing.

Van der Vart has always been a decent player and I would welcome him, but as mentioned we need a backup striker.

but as mentioned be need a backup striker.

Having said that we are always saying let's give youth a chance and it has been nice to see Ngog develop due to having more opportunites as a result to lack of back up.

Part of me wants a back up striker (in the short term), but another part of me thinks in the long term we might benefit with sticking with Ngog and giving him the chance and letting him develop and grow.