You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAN DER VAART - THE 13M ANSWER FOR REDS?

WhiskeyJar

Rafael van der Vaart has confirmed he will be leaving Real Madrid and has this week launched a ‘come and get me’ plea to big clubs in the top four leagues in Europe after rejecting old club Ajax.

Real Madrid are reportedly looking to recoup the amount they paid for the creative star which is a figure of roughly £13m which is not much in relation to some of the highly expensive moves so far this season.

Van der Vaart confirmed reports he had rejected a move back to Amsterdam when he revealed to De Telegraaf, , “In principle I find it too early (to return) and I say no.”

“I do not know if I will stay at Real Madrid, but there are other options.”

media watchAjax manager Martin Jol has openly courted the club’s former star and declared to Sport1, “I hope he (Van der Vaart) comes.”

“With him we would have the best midfield in Holland.”

Unfortunately for Jol, the Dutch midfielder has targeted moves to the big four European leagues. He said, “My dream is to play in a major championship, namely England, Spain, Italy or Germany. Other proposals from abroad do not interest me.”

The player’s stock has definitely fallen since his move to La Liga but the Dutchman would surely be the ideal man to fill the gap left by the departure of current team-mate Xabi Alonso at Liverpool while he would be a massive statement of intent for teams chasing the big four such as Tottenham, Man City, Everton and Aston Villa.

Liverpool have missed the slick passing of Alonso this season as the Premier League’s runners-up have looked devoid of ideas at times this season to help free both Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. Alberto Aquliani has been brought in to provide a similar service but he is struggling through injury and his track record is not good. If Liverpool are to close the gap on their rivals, at least to grab a top 4 spot, another creative player is needed.

The multi-million pound arrivals of Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Raul Albiol and Karim Benzema has led to Real needing to recoup some of their incredible outlay by selling a number of fringe players. Van der Vaart is one of those which suggests a deal would not be too difficult to negotiate

VAN DER VAART - THE 13M ANSWER FOR REDS?

Pretty Please Rafa......even if we dont have money I still think we can raise the funds if sell some squad players.

BUT NOT THIS GUY:

------------------------------------------------

Liverpool are among the clubs planning a raid on West Ham to sign Carlton Cole in January.

Cole's outstanding form has generated interest from a number of teams at home and abroad, all of them encouraged by the financial problems at Upton Park.

The Hammers fought off bids for their top players in the summer but are braced for more pressure when the transfer market opens again.

Cole, who is 26 on Thursday, has scored six times in 11 Premier League games this season, including one against Liverpool in September when Rafa Benitez was impressed with his all round performance.

The former Chelsea striker has made enormous progress in the last 12 months, with Gianfranco Zola helping to transform his great power and huge potential into consistent form.

He has played in four England games this season, taking his total of caps to six, although a hamstring injury has ruled him out of the squad for Saturday's friendly against Brazil.

Cole believes he would have been fit for the game in Qatar but he missed West Ham's home defeat to Everton on Sunday and Fabio Capello operates a strict policy whereby he will not call up a player if he was not fit enough to take part his final club match before international duty.

Cole should be back to lead the line for his club in the vital Premier League game at Hull, a week on Saturday but his days in the claret and blue of the Hammers may be numbered.

Benitez is anxious to boost his firepower. With Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard struggling through injuries, the manager has been forced to rely more heavily than expected on back-up strikers David Ngog and Andriy Voronin.

media watchThis time last year Benitez was trying to lure Emile Heskey back to Anfield but lost out when Aston Villa paid Wigan £3.5m for the England centre forward in January.

Heskey has failed to command a regular place at Villa since his transfer but Cole, who signed a contract tying him to Upton Park until 2013, is having the best year of his career and admits the change has been triggered by improvements in his attitude, often questioned during his younger years.

In the last 12 months Cole has scored 13 goals in 27 Premier League games and it has not gone unnoticed. Arsenal are interested and there are Spanish clubs also watching him, which all means West Ham look set for another uncomfortable transfer window.

The Hammers have become accustomed to fighting off clubs interested in their best players since their former owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson was plunged into crisis and forced to hand the club over to Icelandic bank Straumur.

They have worked hard to offset the big losses made during Gudmundsson's ownership but the unexpected threat of relegation after a disappointing start to the season will increase the pressure to raise more money from sales if a new owner cannot be found quickly.

West Ham were pleased to retain the likes of Cole, Rob Green, Matthew Upson, Scott Parker, Jack Collison and Mark Noble in the summer but they sold defender James Collins to Aston Villa for £6m to fund team strengthening in other positions.

Last January, Craig Bellamy and Matthew Etherington were sold and Zola's first team squad has been cut to trim back the wage bill and supplemented with loan signings and promising youngsters like James Tomkins, Zavon Hines and Junior Stanislas.

The Hammers will be targeted again by those managers keen to reinforce their squads in mid-season, simply because they are one of the clubs who may be forced to sell. Sunderland, having lost Craig Gordon with a broken arm, have an eye on West Ham's England goalkeeper Green.

WEST HAM BRACED FOR KOP COLE RAID

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VdV would have been an excellent signing at the start of the season , but with Aquilani nearing fitness & Lucas & Spearing training on , I feel the need for a striker is more pressing.

I like Carlton Cole & feel he would be a decent buy as he is more skillful than he is usually credited for , gives us a more muscular option , a presence at set pieces ( at either end ) & is another English player as the regulations change.

Whether we can afford him at this juncture is a different matter ( I would try to get £7million or so cumulative for Babel & Voronin in January & hopefully we can find the other £5m or so )

A 3 of Torres , Cole & Ngog would seem a fair mix , with the carrot of the 4th place being dangled in front of the young pretenders to see who emerges from the pack whenever Voronin goes.

VdV would have been an excellent signing at the start of the season , but with Aquilani nearing fitness & Lucas & Spearing training on , I feel the need for a striker is more pressing.

I like Carlton Cole & feel he would be a decent buy as he is more skillful than he is usually credited for , gives us a more muscular option , a presence at set pieces ( at either end ) & is another English player as the regulations change.

Whether we can afford him at this juncture is a different matter ( I would try to get £7million or so cumulative for Babel & Voronin in January & hopefully we can find the other £5m or so )

A 3 of Torres , Cole & Ngog would seem a fair mix , with the carrot of the 4th place being dangled in front of the young pretenders to see who emerges from the pack whenever Voronin goes.

Tried to rep you but must spread it around first.

I've always thought that his German team mate Podolski would be perfect for our system. He plays for the German NT on the left, is quick, strong has a great shot and technique. He could also spell Torres or play up front with him if needed. I think we could get him for 15 mill. If we sell Masch for 20 and Doss for 5 we could buy him and have some change left over for someone else.

What about...

Torres

Podolski Gerrard

Aquilani

Lucas

You honestly think Cole can make a difference?

He's got the physical attributes and with better service than what he's getting at West Ham? Yeah. I think he'd definitely give us another option up front.

It would also be nice to see him played next to Torres with Gerrard behind them, and a narrow midfield of Lucas, Aquilani, and Mascherano sitting in the middle... letting Johnson and Insua/Aurelio do their thing.