You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have a British Manager to manage Liverpool?

WhiskeyJar

Would you support a British manager to manage Liverpool  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a British manager to manage Liverpool

• Yes.
    • No. (Stick to Foreign Managers)

Maybe, as a Sunderland supporter, I should not comment on this.

However, I would have thought that:

1) Any new manager must understand the "heartbeat" of the club.

2) Any new manager must understand the "Liverpool Way" that the supporters expect the game to be played.

3) That any new manager must understand that the Premier League is the "Holy Grail" and that everything else is secondary!

Given that he understands (and can deliver) those points I would not have thought nationality was that important.

However, Shankly was a believer/Liverpool patriot and I cannot help but wonder what he would have thought about Mourinho (great manager but a mercenary) being touted as manager of HIS club!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laurent Blanc won the league and is currently top in his first management job. I think if the ability is there it will shine through without experience.

It will. But how do you find out if the ability is there? I don't buy into the idea that you can tell who will and wont be a a good manager. You don't know until they actually start the job. No one would have said Dalglish would have been a great manager, yet everyone said Souness would be.

People can say they think Carra will be a great manager all they want, but it comes out the fact that he watches loads of football and comes across as a bit of a hard-ass. He's going to need a lot more then that. Hopefully he has it, but he may very well be a spectacular failure. I'd rather he found out elsewhere, and if he is superb, then he can come to us at that point.

I'd have Dalglish should Rafa get sacked.

I'd hope we support Rafa till the end of the season though.

This is it for me. If Rafa were to go before the end of the season then I would definitely give King Kenny a go. Let him try it out and see where it takes us.

For what it's worth I think a return to the bootroom methods of training and playing would not hurt this squad: concentrate on playing the game of football in the Liverpool style for a bit (make yourself available for passes, give it, and go); reduce the tactical restrictions and the focus on fitness training that is a mark of the current regime. I think this could give us a nice lift in the short term at least.

If Dalglish proved he was able to lift the team then we could look at whether we had the right support staff for tactical and fitness training to complement him at the end of the season, if he wanted to stay on. If he didn't want to carry on, or didn't show he was the man for the job, then he could walk away with his head held high.

At the end of the season, regardless of whether Rafa is still in the job, or Kenny had come in as caretaker, we should be looking to assess the situation and see how we did this season and who is available, before deciding whether to stick or twist. My preferred course would be to stick with Rafa until the end of the season in any case but if we don't go on a run of wins immediately, then I think there is a certain inevitability about the situation.

Laurent Blanc won the league and is currently top in his first management job. I think if the ability is there it will shine through without experience.

I think Blanc would be a worthwhile gamble to replace Rafa. He has experience winning the top trophies. (World Cup, European Championship, and the Premier League)

I also think that his experience winning the title as a player means that he knows the english game pretty well, already, and could adapt to the differences quite quickly.

Maybe, as a Sunderland supporter, I should not comment on this.

However, I would have thought that:

1) Any new manager must understand the "heartbeat" of the club.

2) Any new manager must understand the "Liverpool Way" that the supporters expect the game to be played.

3) That any new manager must understand that the Premier League is the "Holy Grail" and that everything else is secondary!

You just described half the lads on this forum.

There are plenty of managers in the league punching above their financial weight. Benitez has had the 3rd or 4th largest pot to play with since he came in. He has delivered there or thereabouts (obviously exceeding that last year). There are British managers with a more successful record than that, if we're using spend as the dominant criterion for measurement, as we seem to do when justifying his record.

I think it's very narrow minded of us to disregard a lot of good managers who are off the radar simply because they haven't had the opportunity to manage a large club.

Fishing I know but:

He's won manager of the year three times, he must be good.

not fishing, my Grandad supports Preston so I follow them a bit and remember him getting promotion with them twice, was unfortunate that he went to Everton but you cant deny what he's done there has been excellent with limited resources

not fishing, my Grandad supports Preston so I follow them a bit and remember him getting promotion with them twice, was unfortunate that he went to Everton but you cant deny what he's done there has been excellent with limited resources

He is not a manager that I would have faith in to take our club further. Rafa is miles better than him and we need someone to build on that, not maintain it.

There are plenty of managers in the league punching above their financial weight. Benitez has had the 3rd or 4th largest pot to play with since he came in. He has delivered there or thereabouts (obviously exceeding that last year). There are British managers with a more successful record than that, if we're using spend as the dominant criterion for measurement, as we seem to do when justifying his record.

I think it's very narrow minded of us to disregard a lot of good managers who are off the radar simply because they haven't had the opportunity to manage a large club.

There is a lot of sense in that post wrt League performance.

However, whatever your views on it as a sporting competition (& i actually think it carries the most prestige as well), the club is utterly dependant on the CL financially & to appeal to top players.

None of those managers you mention have had any success at European level which they need on their CV before getting a top club.

Ginsoak won the CWC at Aberdeen, Mourinho the Uefa & CL at Porto & Rafa the Uefa at Valencia.

PL clubs constantly outgun their Uefa Cup opponents financially but fail on the pitch due to the lack of tactical acumen of their managers.

That is why they don't deserve a big 4 club.

Overperform in the PL & achieve something meaningful in Uefa using sophisticated tactics & I would fully support a British candidate.

There isn't yet any outthere though.

There is a lot of sense in that post wrt League performance.

However, whatever your views on it as a sporting competition (& i actually think it carries the most prestige as well), the club is utterly dependant on the CL financially & to appeal to top players.

None of those managers you mention have had any success at European level which they need on their CV before getting a top club.

Ginsoak won the CWC at Aberdeen, Mourinho the Uefa & CL at Porto & Rafa the Uefa at Valencia.

PL clubs constantly outgun their Uefa Cup opponents financially but fail on the pitch due to the lack of tactical acumen of their managers.

That is why they don't deserve a big 4 club.

Overperform in the PL & achieve something meaningful in Uefa using sophisticated tactics & I would fully support a British candidate.

There isn't yet any outthere though.

Precisely. The only British manager that is not Fergie with such credentials is Mclaren.

I don't even rate MON from the moment he intentionally crashed out of the UEFA Cup. No ambition, and the fact that he did that to ensure a top 6 place to do the same again the next year proves he is rubbish.

Yes, many managers are good at punching above their weight. But being expected to win the league is another matter.

Interesting that.

Who did you have in mind when you thought of this?

I'd certainly give Hodgson some thought. I wouldn't completely ignore Moyes and Bruce either. Thants mentioned Coppell. I think he's probably too mentally fragile, but I think he's a good manager. They've all achieved varying degrees of success in the recent past. What they have all lacked is an opportunity to demonstrate they can make the step up - and I think they're at least the equal of Redknapp and O'Neill.

Precisely. The only British manager that is not Fergie with such credentials is Mclaren.

I don't even rate MON from the moment he intentionally crashed out of the UEFA Cup. No ambition, and the fact that he did that to ensure a top 6 place to do the same again the next year proves he is rubbish.

Yes, many managers are good at punching above their weight. But being expected to win the league is another matter.

Why is that any different? We need a top class manager to win the league with, if The Special One can do it even with shit loads of money I dont understand why we cant bring in a manager that can do it for us.

True. But I think there are plenty of managers in the league that could have got us to second. I just don't believe the gap between the great managers and the good managers is that big. And I think the gap between the best of the good and the worst of the good is tiny.

I'm not sure that makes sense, even to me, but I know what I'm trying to say.

I'd certainly give Hodgson some thought. I wouldn't completely ignore Moyes and Bruce either. Thants mentioned Coppell. I think he's probably too mentally fragile, but I think he's a good manager. They've all achieved varying degrees of success in the recent past. What they have all lacked is an opportunity to demonstrate they can make the step up - and I think they're at least the equal of Redknapp and O'Neill.

I would!

Sorry but Bruce has done okay with Birmingham, and done okay with Wigan, and is doing okay with Sunderland but he has an unfeasibly large head, highlights on that unfeasibly large head, wears tracksuits (always a really good sign of a limited manager that) and sounds as though he is auditioning for a part in When Da Boat Comes In!

Moyes is just a cunt, a talented cunt mind, but a cunt nonetheless.

This is it for me. If Rafa were to go before the end of the season then I would definitely give King Kenny a go. Let him try it out and see where it takes us.

For what it's worth I think a return to the bootroom methods of training and playing would not hurt this squad: concentrate on playing the game of football in the Liverpool style for a bit (make yourself available for passes, give it, and go); reduce the tactical restrictions and the focus on fitness training that is a mark of the current regime. I think this could give us a nice lift in the short term at least.

If Dalglish proved he was able to lift the team then we could look at whether we had the right support staff for tactical and fitness training to complement him at the end of the season, if he wanted to stay on. If he didn't want to carry on, or didn't show he was the man for the job, then he could walk away with his head held high.

At the end of the season, regardless of whether Rafa is still in the job, or Kenny had come in as caretaker, we should be looking to assess the situation and see how we did this season and who is available, before deciding whether to stick or twist. My preferred course would be to stick with Rafa until the end of the season in any case but if we don't go on a run of wins immediately, then I think there is a certain inevitability about the situation.

I would think that if you need a caretaker he would be the obvious choice.

However, please do not forget that he was the man that destroyed the "Liverpool Way". (The part of your post I highlighted).

I may not be a Liverpool supporter, but I have always had great respect for Liverpool and the boot room dynasty founded by Shankly, which continued under Paisley etc.

UNTIL Dalglish!

So (unless he has learned the errors of his ways) I would not see him as a "long term" bet.

Just my take on things.