You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murdoch's Scum Credentials All In Order I See

Anubis

Robert Peston on Twitter

News Int execs tell me they fear there may have been worse examples of NOTW hacking than that of Milly Dowler's phone. The mind reels

We need an immediate independent inquiry. Politicians & the police can't be trusted with this. Bring in one of these investigation agencies that billionaires use when they want something

Robert Peston on Twitter

News Int execs tell me they fear there may have been worse examples of NOTW hacking than that of Milly Dowler's phone. The mind reels

We need an immediate independent inquiry. Politicians & the police can't be trusted with this. Bring in one of these investigation agencies that billionaires use when they want something

Having read that, I'm wondering what would be worse.

I'm not defending it, far from it. I'm pointing out how to stop it. It won't happen though, because there are far too many people who want to read about what Katie Price did next/Which Premiership player is playing away/what Ant and Dec are up to/the latest X-factor argument.

It's the mentality of those numb-skulls that is perpetuating the sales of the paper.

Even so this is still dishonest even to the deadheads.

Tabloid Watch: 'Despicable'

This development is the lead story on the front page of Tuesday's Guardian, Independent and Telegraph. It also makes the front page of the FT and the Times. The Express, Mail, Mirror, Sun and Star make no mention of it on their front pages and consider others stories - such as Cheryl Cole's love life and a scare story about ibuprofen - more important.

If you were the cynical type you'd almost think the other tabloids had something to hide.

Phone hacking: Buscombe admits News of the World lied to PCC | Media | guardian.co.uk

Funny how those choco teapots self certifying supposed 'watchdog' PCC who are meant to hold these cunts to account, have sat back and done nothing but collude with the cunts. Just as well no one gave them any real powers to do anything but fine individuals but do nothing to change to overall system, in fact try to preserve it at all costs. You guys got fat while everybody starved in the street. Fuck the Guardian too, they only here to dine off it, we get some crumbs tho when the powers fight each other.

Neil also questioned the role of the PCC in the scandal, asking: "Have you exposed any of the phone hacking?" Buscombe responded: "We had one complaint about phone hacking which was withdrawn."

Neil suggested that after the PCC "played no part" in bringing about the phone hacking revelations that the newspaper industry should be subject to statutory regulation. She replied: "All I will say is that I think we have to be very careful about newspaper industry that's regulated by the state."

She refused to go into the issue of the PCC reaching a settlement with Mark Lewis, a lawyer who is involved with bringing allegations of phone hacking against the News of the World, after he sued the press watchdog for libel.

It is understood the PCC paid Lewis damages over comments Buscombe made about how many people reportedly had their voicemails intercepted.

The advertisers are mulling what to do, which is nice of them, get the PR on the go.

How should brands respond to the grassroots uprising against the #notw? | Econsultancy

And lest we forget the actual cunts involved: News Corp Above the Law? | As I Please | Big Think

To add further insult to injury, the News of the World conducted an interview with Milly Dowler’s parents in which they talked of their hope that their daughter could still be alive. The then Editor of the News of the World – now Murdoch’s UK Chief Executive, Rebekah Brooks, has denied that she knew anything about the hacking into Milly Dowler’s cell phone, despite the fact that her newspaper published voice mail message from her phone from after the time she disappeared. In fact as her friends and family were calling, desperate to get Milly Dowler to get in touch with them, the News of the World was listening to every message. Worse still, the investigator that the newspaper had hired, Glenn Mulcaire managed to delete voicemails on the phone in order to make way for new ones to listen to and report. There can be no doubt that the News of the World seriously infringed the police investigation into the disappearance and murder of this young schoolgirl.

A non story, about celebs being slightly put out of joint (it wasn't but that was how it was reported) has become a huge story about a Newspaper, hampering the investigation in the murder of a 13 year old girl, whom they then interviewed!

Robert Peston on Twitter

Phone hacking: Soham families contacted by police | Media | guardian.co.uk

You mean like this? The Milly Dowler phone hacking is really just the start of it. This is going to turn really nasty but somehow I assume Brooks will and News International will sail above it all.

Cameron toadying again, what good is a government if it's saying it can't have any input on who own's half the british media?

Surely a reasonable course would be to delay any decision regarding News International until all police investigation is carried out and then refer them to Ofcom who have the power to carry out a fit and proper test? What's the rush with this exactly?

New Statesman - When Cameron went horse riding with Brooks

PM visited News International chief's home over Christmas amid storm over Rupert Murdoch's bid to take full control of BSkyB

David Cameron was a guest of Rebekah Brooks, the chief executive of News International, at her Oxfordshire home over the Christmas period – just days after he transferred ministerial responsibility over Rupert Murdoch's bid to take full control of BSkyB.

New Statesman - When Cameron went horse riding with Brooks

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/04/david-cameron-dinner-rebekah-brooks-mystery]http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/04/david-cameron-dinner-rebekah-brooks-mystery[/u

Surely a reasonable course would be to delay any decision regarding News International until all police investigation is carried out and then refer them to Ofcom who have the power to carry out a fit and proper test? What's the rush with this exactly?

Police have proven themselves unable to carry out this investigation and politicians are too frightened to upset Murdoch. Ofcom have never been able to rise above politics or even challenge big business so someone independent is needed or we'll only find out what the Guardian manages to get hold of. An agency like Kroll could do this investigation thoroughly (if they were willing to take it on).

There are timescales such as the approval of the BSkyB deal plus Murdoch knows that public anger only lasts a limited time and one of his key strategies will be to drag this out as long as possible.

Yeah OFCOM as are load of shit. None of the established order can be trusted to so anything about this stuff on any serious level the police have been corrupted and fear taking on any real power in this country which is no suprise on their budget these days!

Anyone who has anything to do with westminister should be shot as a colluder and traitor to the country. The fact the this Brooks woman is chums with the prime minister tells you all you need to know, anyone who works under those two cannot be trusted and Cameron needs a bullet in his brain to bring us any chance of democracy.

Or we can trust everything to work itself out in the end through the proper channels as that has been so successful over the last 9 years.

In the meantime we'll have the UK version of Fox news informing the public and the S*n telling us how to vote.

Or we can trust everything to work itself out in the end through the proper channels as that has been so successful over the last 9 years.

The PCC will no doubt be looking the other way until this blows over. The Dowlers (and whomever else) will get their huge payoffs and normal service will resume.

One of the most depressing aspects of this entire "phone-hacking scandal" is that we now rely on the media to police itself. Perhaps it's the restrictions of a Tory/Murdoch government but the left wing journalists of our Fourth Estate are too busy watching the neighbours that the politicians, police and media moguls have free rein to dump their own 13-year old corpses in plain view.

Man, I hate living in this country.

Apologies, my first ever, ever post

Something is seriously, seriously wrong here,

i dont think we, the UK, should let this go,

Ultimately the corruption and lies will lead back to 1989 and before from these people

How can a newspaper organisation agree to deleting messages on a phone which allows her parents to think their child is still alive, even though she has been tortured and murdered, and now it spreads to links to other murdered children

Im a Liverpool supporter second, a dad first, and these Murdoch people, they need to be brought down

Its so horrendous....

I dont know, pay offs and lets forget it seem really beyond here the point here...

Ban the newspapers, boycott them, a campaign to ruin them should go internet wide...

or other suggestions will do...

Other suggestions mean nothing really,

I mean, I have a 13 year old daughter, I cant imagine she goes missing, the police give me hope by saying her phone is still being used, and it turns out she's been murdered 3 weeks earlier and the newspapers have been hacking in the phone making space so I think she's alive while she lies in a ditch decomposing...

And its seemingly always Murdoch and his filth papers and nothing is done against him or them..

Ill sign off

Other suggestions mean nothing really,

I mean, I have a 13 year old daughter, I cant imagine she goes missing, the police give me hope by saying her phone is still being used, and it turns out she's been murdered 3 weeks earlier and the newspapers have been hacking in the phone making space so I think she's alive while she lies in a ditch decomposing...

And its seemingly always Murdoch and his filth papers and nothing is done against him or them..

Ill sign off

No point getting angry because there's not a thing anyone can do about it. You can only sit back and enjoy the narrative: who'd have thought the death throes of Old Media would be so entertaining?

Shit's really going to hit the fan tomorrow when Johann Hari publishes his exclusive interview with Milly.

If people didn't buy it they they would change their ways or it wouldn't exist. I think I hit a nerve with some of the dead heads who obviously read it.

For any number of reasons, I sincerely hope you aren't including me amongst those.

The issue here is at best a complete and utter failure of the process of editorial oversight. At worst, the same people that should have been responsible for ensuring that even a 'newspaper' as disreputable as the News of the World maintained some semblance of responsible behaviour instead condoned actions which are clearly criminal, in particular interfering with evidence relevant to the abduction and murder of a schoolgirl and that's before we even begin to consider the moral implications. I see on the news tonight there's the suggestion that they may have been up to similar tricks during the investigation of the Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman murders, snooping on the phone calls of family members.

I haven't spoken to a single person yet that imagined for a second that this was how the newspaper went about gathering information for reporting on these cases, by hacking the phones of the bereaved to slurp up juicy titbits of information and more tellingly, I haven't spoken to anyone that considers it to be even remotely acceptable.

I think you may have achieved the impossible here Hermes by doing NOTW readers a disservice because even the News of the World readers that I've spoken to today were appalled at the suggestion that their desire for news could be used as some kind of justification for this behaviour by the newspaper. If anything they've been more sickened by these revelations than those of us with enough sense not to read the damn thing - there seems to be a very strong sense of "not in my name" about the whole issue.

This isn't some celebrity bint having her sex txts and party timetable leaked, this is a grotesque intrusion into the private grief of bereaved families and it's way more insidious that the doorstepping that (although distasteful in itself) I accept will always be a part of crime reporting because the families concerned were not given an opportunity to decline to reveal this information to the press.

You've got kids haven't you Hermes? Are you honestly telling me that if someone murdered one of your children and this happened to you, you'd lay the blame squarely at the door of a few million emptyheads who buy a shite newspaper and not the venal fucking scum that paid the private detective and gave him his orders?

As for getting a reaction, yes well done - I'll throw you a biscuit if you want.

I'm not defending it, far from it. I'm pointing out how to stop it. It won't happen though, because there are far too many people who want to read about what Katie Price did next/Which Premiership player is playing away/what Ant and Dec are up to/the latest X-factor argument.

It's the mentality of those numb-skulls that is perpetuating the sales of the paper.

Well why did you make such a deliberately ambiguous post then? Oh hang on I've been here for six years now, I guess I already know that one...

It doesn't change the fact that none of the social change you mention (which I would obviously welcome) was required to have prevented this. All that was needed was for the editor of the paper to have some kind of concept of professional standards.

BBC News - Phone-hacking police meet murdered Soham girls' parents

Our correspondent says that, in relation to the phone-hacking claims involving Milly, News International executives privately say they accept that the basic allegations are true.

"Perhaps more striking, however," he adds, "is that those executives also say that there may be even more embarrassing revelations to come about the way that News of the World journalists obtained information about other individuals."

Our correspondent told the BBC's Ten O'Clock News that News International has passed e-mails to police which appeared to show that the former editor of the News of the World, Andy Coulson, authorised payments to police for information.

He said he had tried to put the allegations to Andy Coulson but had received no immediate response.

Words just fail me over this, disgust doesnt even come close. What an absolute bunch of complete and utter fucking cunts. I wish I could contribute to the debate in a reasoned way, but just when I thought I had a handle on just how amoral the tabloids could be they take complete disregard for people and absolute moral bankruptcy to a level I didnt think possible. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em to hell and back.

Words just fail me over this, disgust doesnt even come close. What an absolute bunch of complete and utter fucking cunts. I wish I could contribute to the debate in a reasoned way, but just when I thought I had a handle on just how amoral the tabloids could be they take complete disregard for people and absolute moral bankruptcy to a level I didnt think possible. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em to hell and back.

this.

Money, a plane ticket, a silencer and a high-powered rifle; How hard would it be for someone to do this (which we thought the likes of Hicks & Gillette would need) on someone who makes them look almost average with his conduct & why wasn't it considered or done long ago? Seriously? I'm utterly amazed that No-one's gone after Murdoch like this as yet - Surely some have thought of doing it? Also? Wouldn't it be poetic if someone now had the balls to release a full length front-page editorial accusing Murdoch of 'Robbing/Defiling the Dead' (if only of their phone messages) as he quite clearly has done here; Especially after what he had the sheer cheek & arrogance to allow the Sun to write back in '89 when it was an untrue accusation? Now? Isn't it ironic that such an accusation is true but when it's aimed at him?

Whatever happens? I still can't help but feel he's made his last fatal error here has Murdoch - He's finally shown that what he did all those years ago with Kelvin you know who? Was as much his work as the Scum's then Editor. I've always wondered since then if he was as involved as he seemed to be back then - I think this? Confirms he is the ghoul we always suspected he was; It's exposed what we have always known & said about him whilst the rest of the country has ignored us & defended him but now? They can all see what he's Truly like; Now? The True Face of Rupert Fcuking Murdoch and proof of how disgusting he Really is has Finally become clear. Time to exorcise him once and for all from Britain and all his foul offspring with him - It's long past time they were gone from here and I think now? Rupert's Filth Machine at News International? Has finally given us the tools with which to do this. Not before time either........................

NB If nothing else? I think that Finally we are vindicated in our boycott of that rag and all things News International no? Quite simply the next time a member of the "Lahdan/S*n/N**W/Southern England/Scousers are all liars etc" brigade has a go at you regarding our boycott of that rag or tries to wind you up about it by saying you're talking rubbish? Just point them to this story - Then? Proceed to knock them out as you normally would. I'm sure they'll think twice before repeating such a mistake in future..........

Edited by Redshadow