You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso-The Liverpool Maestro

SCOUSE TAPAS

He's also been getting stuck in like a bastard. His effort and work rate have improved dramatically. He's like Dirk with a cause.

He's always had a fantastic work rate. He's actually one of out most mobile players, you just don't notice it as much as some of the more attackng players. He covers more ground that just about anybody, and he always has done.

I have a plan Tom, a cunning plan. A plan so intricate in its intricacies that it will blow you away. If I could publish my plan now, it would probably win some kind of nobel prize for innovation. If there wasn't a prize they'd draw one up on the spot, give it to me for my plan then vow never to give out said prize again; it'd be like all honourary to me and to my plan.

He's always had a fantastic work rate. He's actually one of out most mobile players, you just don't notice it as much as some of the more attackng players. He covers more ground that just about anybody, and he always has done.

OK well it's being noticed more this season by me at least because it's been effective. Winning balls back, getting stuck in, injuring Fabregas; it's all good.

I just think people get overexcited about him, heck I've done it myself a little. He's a master at the sideways 30 yard 'zipper' pass, for sure, and he can occasionally spot a 40 yard raker, but thats the same thing Stevie started taking flak for earlier in his career, for trying it too often when the success rate of them is questionable.

I think he should be giving us more. More assists and if I'm being harsh one or two more goals, even from his position. He also lost Cahill for their goal yesterday although I'm not sure how much the zonal marking effected his decision to leave him and man his space? On a seperate note I feel people get a boner from things that, had Gerrard done them, they'd get little more than a nod of a appreciation for. Just my opinion though. Also sorry for being a bit aggressive.

Hehe, show me your tiger face.

I respect gerrard. He's one of the 5 best players in the world and has talent that Xabi never will. I also agree and said before that Xabi has been a bit poor since the injury but Skrtel, Torres, Agger have all been injured this season and came back looking a bit rusty; that'll sort itself out.

I've also said a few times this season and loads of times last season that Xabi had been playing shit for a good 18 months but this season he's turned it around big time. In the early part of this season he was carrying us in a lot of games. Maybe not to the extent Gerrard had been in the past but he was certainly the one of very few who were coming out of some of the games we played this season with a well-earnt wage packet.

Hehe, show me your tiger face.

I respect gerrard. He's one of the 5 best players in the world and has talent that Xabi never will. I also agree and said before that Xabi has been a bit poor since the injury but Skrtel, Torres, Agger have all been injured this season and came back looking a bit rusty; that'll sort itself out.

I've also said a few times this season and loads of times last season that Xabi had been playing shit for a good 18 months but this season he's turned it around big time. In the early part of this season he was carrying us in a lot of games. Maybe not to the extent Gerrard had been in the past but he was certainly the one of very few who were coming out of some of the games we played this season with a well-earnt wage packet.

Fair enough mate, I see what your saying. I think the fact the big man came back from the brink of being sold to where he is now is a big reason a lot of us are so complimentary of the way he's been playing this season (which has been generally excellent). He's definately a contender for any accolades being offered at the end of the season, as you say he did carry us in games earlier in the season.

Xabi rules for sure, I just have a bit of a rose tinted Gerrard worship thing going on sometimes, I just think he's the best player Liverpool has ever had (just my opinion of course).

Disagree about the assists because he has such a massive hand in our goals , I'm adament that every penultimate pass for our goals comes from the Xabi man.

I do think a player of his undoubted class should get a lot more goals than he does. He should be aiming for about 7 league goals a season , he's got a great shoot and excellent accuracy so there is no reason he shouldn't get more. What's more I've seen loads of evidence that he can time a run into the box to perfection which is why I don't understand his lack of goals. He's also a brilliant header of the ball, something that is often overlooked.

The video didnt include my favourite Xabi moment , against Athletico earlier this year; he's flicked the ball over the lad's head , controlled it with his heel and sprayed a ball out wide all one motion. It was class.

You can't judge a player like Xabi purely on assists, he is the metronome of the team and his job is to keep the ball moving and shape the attacks from deep on the pitch. He's never had enough pace to be a box to box midfielder and it's the job of other players in the team to make space for him to run the game and to make the movements ahead of him to give him attacking options. He shouldn't be about finding the final ball, he should be the general who shapes our attacking patterns. I think he has excelled at this job this season even though Mascherano has been off the pace and the attacking movement ahead of him is no better than last season.

Which is important in games against top 4 and europe. At home to Stoke the fact he doesn't get goals and assists as an attacking player is a problem IMO as shaping patterns of play etc are pretty irrelevant.

I disagree mate, when we are trying to break down an obdurate defence we need someone prepared to set the tempo and pattern of the attack and think intelligently about the game just as much as any other time.

If all the opposition are going to do is sprint back and form two banks of four I'd happily trade all that for someone to slip the ball to mascher and join the attack.

Maybe the problem is more in playing Masch and Alonso together when a team is sitting back at Anfield. If it gets to 60 or 70 minutes and we haven't scored then we should be taking a defensive player off but leaving Xabi on, not switching like for like as we often do.

TBH I've heard Rafa saying we train to play 3 formations. 442,4231 and 343, I'd be going to 343 after 70 minutes especially when teams are uninterested like yesterday.

He was poor on Sunday. He looked a bit jaded and was constantly squandering cheap possession. To be fair to him, our movment is generally non existant, and he wasn't getting much protection from Mascherano, who looks clearly out of sorts.

I didn't think he was as poor as some other players although he didn't have his best game, maybe because their players were getting in our players faces so much. I do think he made a difference compared to the match a week ago. We kept possession better on Sunday and played higher up the pitch and a little more on the deck.

• 1 month later...

Manchester United star Giggs backing Liverpool's Gerrard and Alonso to challenge for top award

Ryan Giggs admits Liverpool duo Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso are major rivals for the PFA Footballer of the Year award.

It looked likely that a Manchester United player would scoop the prestigious prize, with Cristiano Ronaldo hoping to lift the trophy for a third successive year.

Giggs, who has never won it despite his 10 Premier League titles, and Nemanja Vidic are also among the front-runners.

However, the former Wales captain feels there are other contenders from outside Old Trafford, with Gerrard and Alonso sure to grab a high volume of votes.

'Gerrard and Alonso have been terrific this season,' Giggs told United Review. 'Frank Lampard has had another good season as well so there are a lot of players who have done really well.'

Gerrard certainly caught the eye at Old Trafford on Saturday when Liverpool breathed fresh life into the title race with their biggest win at United since 1936, while Alonso has arguably been the Reds' most consistent performer this term.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men will be looking to stabilise their season before the next international break by winning at Fulham on Saturday.

And, with a four-point lead and a match in hand over both Chelsea and Liverpool, the Red Devils remain odds-on favourites to win an 18th championship, equalling the long-standing record of their Merseyside rivals.

article-0-03D2A2F1000005DC-825_224x443.jpg

Gerrard

article-0-03D2BABE000005DC-995_224x443.jpg

Alonso

'Obviously it would be brilliant because 15 years ago I don't think anyone would even have dreamed it would be possible,' Giggs added. 'But I think probably it means more to the fans.

'It is not our motivation. You don't look back on records until you have finished your career.'

Ferguson already knows he will be without Vidic at Craven Cottage as the Serbia international serves a two-match suspension following his second red card of the season at the weekend.

Jonny Evans is a certain replacement to partner Rio Ferdinand, with United looking to repeat their four-goal FA Cup win at Fulham a fortnight ago.

United star Giggs backing Gerrard and Alonso to challenge for top award | Mail Online

I really, really hope he is back for tomorrow.

• 5 years later...

Great read, still miss him. This hurts:

ALONSO: Each team I see (that is successful) has to be comfortable playing with three systems. They need to adapt to each game, depending on the circumstances. It is not about not being loyal to your identity. No, no, no. It is about knowing your strengths and showing your players what you need to do each game to prepare in the right way. In Liverpool, we had a plan for each team. Every game is totally different.

Hope someone  sees that.

• Upvote 4

Great interview.

Why do foreign players have so much more game intelligence than British ones? Really is easy to coach them as they understand their roles and responsibilities much better. Alonso is ace.

What a cracker his missus is too.

Because they aren't playing on full size pitches at the age of three, and being selected on height.