You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Obama's Inauguration

AngryOfTuebrook

That statement is going to look very silly in 90 minutes

Don't be so sure. Everybody's convinced that Obama is going to win but race is a very decisive issue here. Almost every black voter in the USA is voting Obama for no reason other that he's black. We all know that to be true and it's accepted without controversy. But what's not talked about is that a huge percentage of the white community in the USA will vote for McCain for exactly the same reason.

In the end, I believe ethnicity will ultimately decide the winner, not the policies that these men are promising to implement.

Don't be so sure. Everybody's convinced that Obama is going to win but race is a very decisive issue here. Almost every black voter in the USA is voting Obama for no reason other that he's black. We all know that to be true and it's accepted without controversy. But what's not talked about is that a huge percentage of the white community in the USA will vote for McCain for exactly the same reason.

In the end, I believe ethnicity will ultimately decide the winner, not the policies that these men are promising to implement.

Sad, but possibly true.

Whilst the polls, news shows and "popular opinion" may show people shouting loud and proud about change and Obama looks way ahead, it's the one's who simply say nothing and place their say-nothing McCain vote that could make the difference.

Those who want change always shout the loudest, but they don't always get what they want. That's what I'm saying.

It's often the "quiet vote" that wins the day, and that's what I fear will happen.

I will take no satifaction in this at all if I'm proved right.

Whilst I think it's harsh to say almost every black voter, it has been annoying celebrity wise to see a lot of hip hop artists for example who clearly have never gave a shit about politics before are now urging people to vote for their 'homie' Obama. It's the same as regional basis I guess, but I'd rather he win on merit. If he was a white democrat with the exact same policies, no one would think he was that special really.

Sad but very true. I know of a bunch of people at work, men and women, who are voting for McCain for no other reason than they won't vote for a black man. The messed up thing is that they don't really like McCain, and they hate Palin, but they just won't vote for Obama.

For what it's worth I voted for Obama earlier today. Can't wait to see him accept the position later on as President Elect.

Whilst I think it's harsh to say almost every black voter, it has been annoying celebrity wise to see a lot of hip hop artists for example who clearly have never gave a shit about politics before are now urging people to vote for their 'homie' Obama. It's the same as regional basis I guess, but I'd rather he win on merit. If he was a white democrat with the exact same policies, no one would think he was that special really.

I think the biggest problem with this "Vote Obama" thing is that he has potential to be a shockingly bad president because he lacks anything that resembles credentials... really.

I think the biggest problem with this "Vote Obama" thing is that he has potential to be a shockingly bad president because he lacks anything that resembles credentials... really.

What, like intelligence and integrity?

Nothing can prepare you for being president, so I don't see that any candidate needs to tick a load of pre-set boxes to qualify as qualified.

Obama's temperament and intelligence are first class, so are his abilities as an orator and motivator. He's the most inspirational politician since Kennedy, in the states. You know, unlike the Republicans, he'll surround himself with the best of the best, pick the most suitable people for the most suitable jobs rather than preserving the interests of the good ol' boys.

I don't see any basis for predicting a shockingly bad presidency.

• Upvote 1

What, like intelligence and integrity?

Nothing can prepare you for being president, so I don't see that any candidate needs to tick a load of pre-set boxes to qualify as qualified.

Obama's temperament and intelligence are first class, so are his abilities as an orator and motivator. He's the most inspirational politician since Kennedy, in the states. You know, unlike the Republicans, he'll surround himself with the best of the best, pick the most suitable people for the most suitable jobs rather than preserving the interests of the good ol' boys.

I don't see any basis for predicting a shockingly bad presidency.

I'm sorry mate but that part made me giggle... You honestly believe that? All politicians preserve the interests of those whom 'bribed' err... I mean contributed to their campaigns.

Some huge retardation from Red Mist. The red mist seems to be impeding his vision. Most of the results so far are showing that age has been a much bigger factor than race in this election.

Media are making race an issue. Talking about how African-Americans will mark this as a before and after thing... etc. Life before November 4th 2008 and Life after November 4th 2008.

Obama has been 'whiter than white' to quote the knobjockey talking on the teley.

Very true. Black people only ever vote for black candidates, as everyone knows. This election is truly historic as it's the first one in which any of them have voted.

Can't believe Matt Frei hasn't mentioned this yet.

Someone at the BBC should be sacked in that case.

BBC has been quality tonight, they got this republican bloke on and they have pissed him off so much, he basically said at one point that Rajesh Merchandani puts the BBC in a bad light because he got a fact wrong and argued with the fella.

He then turns to the guy next to him and says

"Hell, we are just about to have a black president, we aint gonna be racist any more, right?"