You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I for one am glad that it's dying on its arse. If I'm to pay to watch TV I don't want to be forced into paying for a broadcaster that is now just blatantly a mouthpiece for the current government and its policy of divide and rule.

Yes, because when it's gone the corporate media will swerve left and do a better job!

It's superb value. We'll miss it when it's had its back broken.

• Upvote 1

As Iannucci's points out, it is the gold standard for television, and has the likes of HBO trying to ape its production techniques, but we need to scale it down in order to let shitter private enterprises have a chance.

Nonsense.

Is it still the gold standard though?

You dont get the same level of excellent tv you got years back. They do still throw together great documentaries but they have turned to more abd more celebrity/reality based crap.

Its not in the same league as HBO anymore,though i doubt it has a quarter of the budget. HBO documentaries especially those on sport are another level thats before you look at the likes of Oz,The Wire,Sopranos,Broadwalk Empire and game of thrones

The radio coverage is generally fantastic though,well 5live is

Feels a bit defeatist this, Stu. A bit like voting for Liz Kendall (if she'd got the gig as Labour leader) because she isn't David Cameron.

If I though that Liz Kendall was one of the best things the country had ever produced and was still a national treasure maybe.

The BBC is excellent. No matter how hard you hope for it the hole it leaves will not be filled by something better.

If I though that Liz Kendall was one of the best things the country had ever produced and was still a national treasure maybe.

The BBC is excellent. No matter how hard you hope for it the hole it leaves will not be filled by something better.

Okay, in which case we have very differing views on the BBC.

And you know the comparison would be the Labour Party under Liz Kendall v the BBC. Not Liz Kendall v the BBC.

Okay, in which case we have very differing views on the BBC.

And you know the comparison would be the Labour Party under Liz Kendall v the BBC. Not Liz Kendall v the BBC.

Either way I don't recognise your comparison as reflecting what I see the BBC as. And I'm talking a lot more than just the news.

I was looking on the BBC shop recently and the depth of output is huge. Still.

I can't see how anyone can think moaning about having to pay a licence fee for it is a sensible thing to do.

Either way I don't recognise your comparison as reflecting what I see the BBC as. And I'm talking a lot more than just the news.

I was looking on the BBC shop recently and the depth of output is huge. Still.

I can't see how anyone can think moaning about having to pay a licence fee for it is a sensible thing to do.

Me neither. My objection to the BBC has absolutely nothing to do with the license fee. I love the concept of the BBC.

The modern BBC is now shite. I am saddened that it is, but its exactly what Tories do to everything they want to privatise.

They dont invest and when the obvious lack of quality and service is blatantly showing they say,'there,I told you so! This needs private investment' and so it becomes just another expensive tool for the already rich and powerful.

IF the BBC did get privatised there is nothing to suggest that the licence fee would be abolished. The tories aren't going to allow the BBC to go private and say as part of the package the licence fee will be abolished. The fact is you need a licence if you watch tv in this country regardless of whether or not you watch the BBC so the argument about whether the BBC produces content you watch isn't really a pivotal issue is it. You still need to pay for a to licence.

I think we can all agree that F1 is shit

Loads of drivers going around in a circle waiting for the person in front of them to suffer a breakdown. This will not be missed on the BBC

This.

Not that it wasnt exciting at one stage(if you like that kind of stuff) but now it appears to become as sterile as most other modern sports. Overtaking was one of the highlights while now it never seems to happen,bar a pit stop,accident or breakdown(as LL mentioned.)

The BBC is fantastic, even when the mainstream channels have had to dumb down to align with the declining intellect of the populace. Formula 1 is tedious as fuck and I'm glad the Beeb is going to toady to that dwarf flump for TV rights.

Problem is mate,is that its probably the last major sport left that they had at least some live coverage of. Horse Racing,The Open Golf,Cricket and a few others have all been removed completely over the last decade or so,to be replaced by utter shite in most cases.

I,of course,dont want it to die and realise its been cut to ribbons on purpose but its modern guise is utter shite.(Wildlife and Natural History excepted.)

Problem is mate,is that its probably the last major sport left that they had at least some live coverage of. Horse Racing,The Open Golf,Cricket and a few others have all been removed completely over the last decade or so,to be replaced by utter shite in most cases.

I,of course,dont want it to die and realise its been cut to ribbons on purpose but its modern guise is utter shite.(Wildlife and Natural History excepted.)

A lot of their BBC2, 3, and 4 output is still excellent, and Radio 4 and 6 are both fantastic imo.  This government is systematically and cynically laying waste to all of the country's best assets for the sole purpose of lining their and their friends' pockets.  Absolute scum.  They are presiding over the accelerated decivilising of the country and they revel in it.

• Upvote 1

That Jenson Button is stealing a living tootling round, observing the national speed limit & even getting a f***ing pay rise because of some bollocks in his contract. Now he is jibbing his wife , a supermodel no less, because he can't find time to visit her.

Surely there must be some hungry racers in Formula 2 / 3 or Karts who'd make more effort than this waste of space.