You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Moaning about money

Moaning about the younger generation

Moaning about going out

Moaning about not having any tea bags left

Paying a mortgage

Going even more grey

Falling asleep after sex

Watching Nature and Travel programs and enjoying them

Turning the music down

I do that and I'm 21, actually I did that when I was 18 too, but thats probably thanks to ale and I'm shit at sex.

The weirdest reminder was when I was working at the nightclub as a Doorman, checking IDs as people walked in... You would see girls come up and their birth dates were getting more and more recent. 1989? Fuck me, are we letting in girls who were born in 1989?!

Last year, I was banging an 18 year old for a while(Yes, she was eastern european... You know my little 'problem' when it comes to those types of girls :drool: ) and I saw her passport one day and nearly choked! 1990! I felt like such a dirty old man considering I had eight years on her.

Talking to University aged peoples(hey, I am in Uni again... Shut it) and bringing up something from my childhood like films or something and getting a blank stare, "Never heard of it."

Realising that I need to get a career, and quickly, before I go absolutely broke.

Taking a lot longer to recover from knocks, and seemingly picking them up for fun. I can't lift my fucking arm over shoulder height at the moment for some reason; I can't even remember fucking it up on Saturday either.

Losing any pace I had.

Realising there's people on the GF I've now known for a decade. A motherfucking decade!

Realising there's people on the GF I've now known for a decade. A motherfucking decade!

Fuck me, Stu - is it really that long? When did Dave first start TLW? I lurked on the very first day, but can I shite remember when it was. Was it pre-GH?

As for aging, this last year has seen me counting off the signs on an almost week by week basis:

• grey hairs appearing in my sidies.
  • hairs growing prominently out of my nose, ears and eyebrows.
  • tearing a calf muscle, taking literally months to get over it and still not trusting it properly not to go again.
  • falling asleep on the sofa as early as 8pm on occasions.
  • waking up as early 5am on occasions.
  • having an aching back.
  • needing 37 million pisses per day.
  • teaching the children of former class mates.
  • becoming aware of the possibility of teaching the grand child of a former class mate in a couple of years time.

some of these only us irish will understand but the majority are for everyone else!!

SYMPTOMS OF BEING OVER 25

1. You leave clubs before the end to 'beat the rush'. (worse still you don't go to the clubs)

2. You get more excited about having a roast on a Sunday than going clubbing the night before.

3. You stop dreaming of becoming a professional footballer / basketball player and start

dreaming of having a son who might instead.

4. Before throwing the local paper away, you look through the property section. MyHome.ie and Daft.ie are your favourite websites.

5. All of a sudden, middle aged people are not 46, they are only 46.

6. Before going out anywhere, you ask whether there is anywhere to park.

7. Rather than throw a knackered pair of runners out, you keep them because they'll be

alright for around the house jobs.

8. You buy T-shirts without anything written on them.

9. When visiting home for the weekend, you head to the local pub/nightclub and are genuinely shocked to see people you can remember being born or have babysat make up half of the pubs/clubs patrons.

10. You worry about your parents' health.

11. Your parents start to have a life of their own and go on more holidays/social events than you do.

12 . You have more disposable income, but everything you want or need to buy costs between

200 and 500 quid.

13. You actually start to pay off the balance on your credit card as it falls due.

14. You don't get funny looks when you buy a Disney video as the sales assistant

assumes they are for your children. You are buying these things for your friend's child.

15. Pop music all starts to sound the same and you haven't a baldy who or what the latest pop sensations or boy bands are.

16. Oxegen is waaay too young. Electric Picnic is the way forward, far less packed and a lot more comfort. Comfort is now important.

15.On a long night out, you opt for Milanos over a quick take away because they do a really nice half-bottle of house red.

16. You always have enough milk and toilet paper in, and your house is always relatively clean and tidy.

17 . To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go clubbing, you instead frequent trendy bars and restaurants in the

mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents.

18 . While flicking through the TV channels, you happen upon RTE's Would You Believe. You get drawn in. You remember being there when events are shown on Reeling Back the Years.

19 . The benefits of a pension scheme become clear. You pay for your own VHI.

20. You go out of your way to pick up a colour chart from Woodies .

21 . You wish you had a shed.

22 . You have a shed.

23. You start considering doing stuff because its good for you, like eating healthily and walking places for the sake of walking not just to get from A to B.

24 . You actually find yourself saying 'They don't make 'em like that anymore' and 'I remember when there were only 2

TV channels' and 'Not in my day....'

25 . Pat Kenny has some really interesting guests on the Late Late and you consider texting in a comment. ( FYI If you actually do, then you should be ticking the 40-50 age category).

26 . Instead of tutting at old people who take ages to get off the bus, you tut at rowdy school children.

27. You find yourself having discussions with your friends that when we were young, before all this Celtic Tiger lark we actually appreciated when we were given things from our parents and indeed we worked for what we got....while the young ones these days haven't a clue. (You really believe this).

28. Going to 21st's is a distant memory and if you do have to go to one its an irritation, in fact, your social calendar is taken up with 30th's, Weddings and Christenings.

29 You chose pubs where you can get a "nice seat for the night" over packed loud places.

30. Girls start to see the benefit of bringing a spare pair of flats in their handbag for the end of the night for sore feet. Barefoot walking on the path is now insane!

31 . You find yourself saying 'is it cold in here or is it just me

32 . You understand the above and forward it to your fellow aging friends.

Hair growing out of your ears. Fucking why?!

I sorted the fuckers last week though, I veeted my ears. I think I left it on a bit long though as they're a bit sore but nevertheless, I blasted the motherfuckers to hell.

You put Veet in your ears?

Certain chemicals used in Veet will, in fact, cause the skin to erode and/or burn in immediate contact. For example, urea is used in many products, but it is produced by a reaction between carbon dioxide and ammonia. Ammonia has the ability to cause severe burns to the skin if contact is any longer than a few minutes. Secondly, another component in Veet is calcium hydroxide, which is in reality a poisonous ingredient found in industrial cleaning products, as well as different types of cement. When exposed to ANY type of skin, calcium hydroxide’s symptoms are anything but pleasant. Symptoms include irritation, burning, necrosis (holes) in the skin or underlying tissues. Usually when skin is exposed to a damaging product, in the emergency room you can expect irrigation (washing of the skin perhaps every few hours for several days), or skin debridement, which is surgical removal of burned skin. In worse situation, hospitals may admit or transfer you to another hospital which specializes in burn care. Are these the chemicals we want to be putting on our bodies because we are immediately convinced by the advertisements? Lastly, another ingredient used in Veet is titanium dioxide. It doesn’t have the lasting effects as the previous examples, but the symptoms which occur if exposed to skin are physical irritation with redness and swelling.

I'd say you can add deafness to the list of "things that make you realise you are getting older"

You put Veet in your ears?

Certain chemicals used in Veet will, in fact, cause the skin to erode and/or burn in immediate contact. For example, urea is used in many products, but it is produced by a reaction between carbon dioxide and ammonia. Ammonia has the ability to cause severe burns to the skin if contact is any longer than a few minutes. Secondly, another component in Veet is calcium hydroxide, which is in reality a poisonous ingredient found in industrial cleaning products, as well as different types of cement. When exposed to ANY type of skin, calcium hydroxide’s symptoms are anything but pleasant. Symptoms include irritation, burning, necrosis (holes) in the skin or underlying tissues. Usually when skin is exposed to a damaging product, in the emergency room you can expect irrigation (washing of the skin perhaps every few hours for several days), or skin debridement, which is surgical removal of burned skin. In worse situation, hospitals may admit or transfer you to another hospital which specializes in burn care. Are these the chemicals we want to be putting on our bodies because we are immediately convinced by the advertisements? Lastly, another ingredient used in Veet is titanium dioxide. It doesn’t have the lasting effects as the previous examples, but the symptoms which occur if exposed to skin are physical irritation with redness and swelling.

I'd say you can add deafness to the list of "things that make you realise you are getting older"

Yadda yadda. Sorted the hairs out. And it only burned a bit for a day or so.