You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial, no matter who they are or what they are alleged to have done. Time and expense shouldn't be a consideration where justice is concerned.

No they're not. Mugabe just deserves a bullet. Nothing more.

Live by it - die by it.

I'll have to consult Mr Mandela............oh, I forgot. He refuses to pass comment.

Once a terrorist.........

I wonder if Bono and any other of the fashionistas will use the birthday bash to make some kind of comment.? naah probably not it isn't fashionable any more. Amazing how Sir Bob and all the other luvvies have kept silent over this.

Africa really is one fucked up continent. If one was a heartless bastard I would say leave everything to their own devices.

Many of the problems in Africa are of our making. I'm not sure we can just leave them alone. I've never been truly convinced that representative democracy as we know it is the best system for Africa. The culture just doesn't seem to fit the system. How you stop benevolent dictators turning into paranoid despots overnight though is a puzzle!

With development in China and India the wage inflation in these areas will leave Africa as the only source of cheap labour. China is already funding the Zimbabwean/Angolan economic union. I fear the west is about to invade Africa again. This time quietly and via a computer screen from Washington. The effects may be just as devastating.

Many of the problems in Africa are of our making. I'm not sure we can just leave them alone. I've never been truly convinced that representative democracy as we know it is the best system for Africa. The culture just doesn't seem to fit the system. How you stop benevolent dictators turning into paranoid despots overnight though is a puzzle!

With development in China and India the wage inflation in these areas will leave Africa as the only source of cheap labour. China is already funding the Zimbabwean/Angolan economic union. I fear the west is about to invade Africa again. This time quietly and via a computer screen from Washington. The effects may be just as devastating.

Sorry Cath I can't agree. Yes the west has to take some blame for the colonial past but we are some way down the tarck since those days. It's time the likes of the African Union got it's act together and Africa became responsible for their actions. The reason Zim ( a country once self sufficient and known as the bread basket of Southern Africa) has gone this far is down to the fact that all the old freedom fighters were reluctant to criticize a fellow brother. Now we have reached the stage where certain states can envision an influx of Zimbabweans across their borders and they are suddenly asking questions.it's too late.

As for Africa being the next source of cheap labour again I have my doubts. The cost of doing business there for foreign countries is extremely high and there are often heavy tariffs in the way and labour issues. S. Africa's clothing industry for example has been decimated due to cheap imports from China which the local industry cannot compete with pricewise. I was in a meeting with the local garment workers union and they were telling me that one particular company has clothing made in China, brings it in and employs a whole shopfloor full of machinists to rectify mistakes and can still sell it cheaper and make a good profit!!

Why didn't the tories chop of Hazel Blears feet and set fire to her. They'd have done much better in the last election if they had.

Or actually, why didn't Labour, the same applies.

Yes, Blears is one irritating little troll in need of some misfortune.

• 9 years later...