You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best actor of all time...

Elite

Who's been in a film with Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin all acting moody and intense and comes as the most natural, endearing and entertaining one of them all?

jack-lemmon-in-irma-la-douce-1963.jpg

At the very least the greatest comedy actor of all time.

• Upvote 3

Both Curtis and Lancaster in Sweet Smell of Success.  What a great fucking film that is.

Top man.  There was an earlier discussion about great scripts, and it was the usual "lauded" suspects.

I was going to throw this one in the mix, but what would be the point.

CD - I sometimes wonder if there's anyone who loves Elmer Gantry as much as me.  And then I remember you...

• Upvote 1

Duck of death I sez.

Totally forgot about that film, another great performance especially when he kicks fuck out of English Bob.

Tony Curtis ?

Totally underrated actor especially as has been mentioned in The Sweet Smell of Success and he's even better in The Boston Strangler.. 

Oh and who can forget The Vikings.....and on that note Kirk Douglas ???

• Upvote 1

Robert Donat

The definitive Hannay in the 39 Steps, and anybody who doesn't shed a tear at the final scene in "Goodbye Mr Chips" must have the heart of a Tory. 

Great call, Doc.

I love Goodbye Mr Chips.  So apologies for this...

• Upvote 1