You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best actor of all time...

Elite

Pacino and De Niro have done way to much shit to be the outright great actor, you're allowed make one or two but they've been constantly churning out rubbish the last few years now.

Very very true. The last 2 great performances either of them put in was ironically in Heat - 13 years ago.

Modern day (as in last 20 years) you're probably looking at the likes of Denzel for consistently good performances and the same in terms of career choices.

For all time I really couldn't even begin to hazard a guess. Al/Bobby are up there like with Brando, Olivier and dare I say Newman? Not a classical actor but even in his later years he could still put in a good peformance.

I honestly dont think anybody with a front bum can touch Meryl Streep for sheer range. Jodie Foster comes close and maybe Katherine Hepburn.

Maria Conchita Alonso I'm afraid only makes the Top 10 :whistle:

I reckon it's too hard to call but my personal favourites are probably Jake Gyllenhall and Kevin Spacey. Don't think I've seen enough performances from the supposed greats to make a judgement on who's the best ever, at the minute I'd probably say De Niro from the range of roles I've seen him play.

I think the best TV performance is a bit easier to decide, and I'd go for Martin Sheen on The West Wing.

Ardal O'Hanlon in "My Hero".

I infer from the entirely commendable lack of Affleck that Chris hasn't seen this thread.

Yes, it's De Niro for me. Granted he's chosen some poor films recentlybut that doesn't change what he's done. Kevin Spacey isn't far behind him though imo, he's utterly believable in pretty much everything of his I've seen.

I agree as De Niro in Raging bull is one of the best performances ever but they're really taking the gloss of their career.

If a De Niro film or Pacino film comes out now there's no way i'll rush out to see it as you know its more rubbish which is really sad to say.

Ye they have done some poor ones I must admit, money talks! its mad to think that they have only been in one film together (heat) which was quite a good film, I know they where both in godfather 2 but at different times and not onscreen together, apparently tho their is a new film coming out called righteous kill with both of them in, hope its a good un.