You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyway, i saw it and i don't see what the fuss was about. He lived in the Dingle and now lives in a mansion in L.A. He basically rode on the coat tails of the other three talented members of the Beatles. He's always been shite. Why would an opportunist like him miss Liverpool. Seriously, like i said he lives in a big fucking house in sunny climes and spends most of his time rolling about in his cash. What's there to miss?

Him and his wife booked flights in the 80's for the 1st tourist trip to the moon only to sober up in the 90's and try to get the money back.

And what like? what do people expect him to say? Id prefer him to be truthful than fawn over us and reel of a list of things he missed when he didnt.

Liverpool celebrates becoming the European Capital of Culture this month. Ringo Starr reflects on the early days of skiffle and the Beatles' legacy

Sunday January 20, 2008

Observer Music Monthly

I'm from Liverpool. I do feel that because my childhood was here. It doesn't matter where I live, and I've lived in a several countries, never mind towns. So, yes. 'Where are you from, lad?'. 'From Liverpool'. There it is. But it is damp, and I had TB.

I left in 1964 so today it's almost unrecognisable. On my recent visit back for the city's launch as the European Capital of Culture, I went to see my old school - Dingle Vale Secondary, which is now Shorefields Technology College. I said to my driver if he dropped me off anywhere there I would never find my way home because so much has changed.

Article continues

The school was great, it is so modern. It was much smaller when I was there - and they've moved the football field. I believe they're knocking down the street that I was brought up in. They'll build something else. Let's hope it's better.

So, in my soul I'm still from Liverpool. And the atmosphere of the city, that doesn't change. It's an atmosphere that's around Liverpool. It has its own sense of humour, its own way of feeling.

People say 'Oh, you've lost your accent'. My mother always used to say 'Christ, son, you're losing your accent. Do you know where you're from?' Yes, I know where I'm from. I'm from Liverpool 8.

When I was around in the Fifties and Sixties, all the guys who went to sea were bringing music back from America, so we got music earlier. It's in our blood. I started because skiffle came so if you had the instrument, you were in a band. I was in a couple of groups and then first joined Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

Now you have to be able to play. The joy and blessing is that when I was 13, I wanted to be a drummer in a band, to play with good players, and I achieved that. And I'm still doing it. So the dream goes on.

The Beatles was a lot of fun and we made great music. I was an only child and suddenly I had three brothers. Do I think about it every day? No. You don't wake up and think 'Oh, what about those days?'.

Being the European Capital of Culture will achieve new recognition for Liverpool. I think it is an incredible thing. When I was here, it was known as a port. When I left it was known for the Beatles. And I know it has really grown up. So I think it is great to dispense that message that there's more to Liverpool than the Fab Four.

Liverpool celebrates becoming the European Capital of Culture this month. Ringo Starr reflects on the early days of skiffle and the Beatles' legacy

Sunday January 20, 2008

Observer Music Monthly

I'm from Liverpool. I do feel that because my childhood was here. It doesn't matter where I live, and I've lived in a several countries, never mind towns. So, yes. 'Where are you from, lad?'. 'From Liverpool'. There it is. But it is damp, and I had TB.

I left in 1964 so today it's almost unrecognisable. On my recent visit back for the city's launch as the European Capital of Culture, I went to see my old school - Dingle Vale Secondary, which is now Shorefields Technology College. I said to my driver if he dropped me off anywhere there I would never find my way home because so much has changed.

Article continues

The school was great, it is so modern. It was much smaller when I was there - and they've moved the football field. I believe they're knocking down the street that I was brought up in. They'll build something else. Let's hope it's better.

So, in my soul I'm still from Liverpool. And the atmosphere of the city, that doesn't change. It's an atmosphere that's around Liverpool. It has its own sense of humour, its own way of feeling.

People say 'Oh, you've lost your accent'. My mother always used to say 'Christ, son, you're losing your accent. Do you know where you're from?' Yes, I know where I'm from. I'm from Liverpool 8.

When I was around in the Fifties and Sixties, all the guys who went to sea were bringing music back from America, so we got music earlier. It's in our blood. I started because skiffle came so if you had the instrument, you were in a band. I was in a couple of groups and then first joined Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

Now you have to be able to play. The joy and blessing is that when I was 13, I wanted to be a drummer in a band, to play with good players, and I achieved that. And I'm still doing it. So the dream goes on.

The Beatles was a lot of fun and we made great music. I was an only child and suddenly I had three brothers. Do I think about it every day? No. You don't wake up and think 'Oh, what about those days?'.

Being the European Capital of Culture will achieve new recognition for Liverpool. I think it is an incredible thing. When I was here, it was known as a port. When I left it was known for the Beatles. And I know it has really grown up. So I think it is great to dispense that message that there's more to Liverpool than the Fab Four.

yes and they play in red.

I was sad at what i heard from Ringo.

I'm not a great Beatles fan but i understand the bit they did for the City of Liverpool.

I thought yer ok, they have asked a son of the city to be a head of the 08 celibrations nice one, he's one of us and it is also a way of Liverpool saying thanks Ringo for what the Beatles did for us.

But he isnt one of us is he? He has had that much smoke blown up his arse, he is in danger of being clssed as a chimney. full of the big i am everyone loves me im great plug my song Cunt of the highest order he can fuck right off for me after that if i ever got that chance to say my bit to the fucker i would tell him how much he is loved alright the Twat

Anyway he's a big nose cunt who should fuck off back to the states and take his mate Hicks with him

People expect him to be professional he has a position at the focule point of the who 08 celebrations and he just kicked us all in the bolloxs

Yeah thats my take on it as well. I couldnt care less if he is indifferent to Liverpool or not, but as a high profile name, supposedly behind the 08 celebrations he shouldnt have said all that (and the way he said it) in public.

They were all fronm the south end. Ringo from Dingle, George from Speke, Mccartney from Wavo and Lennon from Allerton/Woolton. Nice middle class upbringing for Lennon, too. Working class hero my arse.

Nope, McCartney was from Speke and moved to Forthlin Road, which is on the border of Allerton and Garston when he was about 12. Harrison was from Wavertree, he moved to Speke when he was about 8. Starr was indeed from the Dingle and whilst Lennons home, at the top end of Menlove Avenue was half decent, it's pushing it a lot to describe it as middle class.

He still could have said something positive like the people are great or the city seems to be buzzing but he had to be a tit and get a laugh at the city's expense. Johnathon Ross was dying to get in there with a Liverpool joke but Ringo spared him the effort.

He's released a song that is shite and the only reason it is getting any exposure is due to C.O.C. He was getting interviewed last week on Granada Reports and the presenter was asking him questions such as "so Ringo, isn't this great for the city?" to which he replied "How would I know, I don't live here" then got some PA to come over and take his scarf off him, he looked totally uninterested in anything that was going on and really put out that he was there in the first place. He may not give a fuck about the place now that he lives in Beverly Hills but he's been paid to promote the city so at the very least he could have some enthusiasm. Stop using the peace sign as well you stupid twat.

I thought he come across as a cunt; playing up to Ross's Southern bias and repeating the "I came this close to going back, hahahaha" line.

The song also has a lingering distain to it as well as being absolute SHITE.

Horrible, deluded cunt.

That's my take on it.

If he doesn't like the place then fair enough, it was the sight and sound of Ross and the audience laughing their tits off that left a bad taste in the mouth.

It wouldn't have been so bad if he said, its a different place to what I've grown up, a lot has happened or been a bit like that article..But no, he plays right into the hands of Ross for a cheap Liverpool gag, he tried to do it with Quinten Tarantino a few months ago too, then when QT said Liverpool was lovely, had a wonderful time he just shut the fuck up.

Still doesn't answer my question, what did you expect him to say he missed?

It does answer your question he should have been Professional

He could have said there are some things i miss of course there are

I miss my Family and my old Friends, the Humour and the Local for a pint after work. but i have a wonderful live in America like the millions who left the city hundreds of years before i did i have made a new life there which i really enjoy and i wouldn’t want to swap the Sun and the lifestyle i have for anything else.

He hasn't lied and whats more he hasn’t taken the piss out of the City or its People that gave him so much

Its not rocket science ffs its called respect and professionalism

Nope, McCartney was from Speke and moved to Forthlin Road, which is on the border of Allerton and Garston when he was about 12. Harrison was from Wavertree, he moved to Speke when he was about 8. Starr was indeed from the Dingle and whilst Lennons home, at the top end of Menlove Avenue was half decent, it's pushing it a lot to describe it as middle class.

*Immediately logs on to propertyfinder.com and gaydar*

What the fuck is up with his accent anyway? It really gets on my tits.

Americanisms are catchy. I lived in the States for just 9 months, and I still say "bathroom" and "kinda". If I spent a decade or two there, I could easily see the accent creeping into my intonation.

So far as Ringo is concerned, I think it's all too easy to get a bit precious about his comments. What happened to us being able to take the piss out of ourselves? I don't have much of a problem with anything he's said, and through his life he's probably done more for this city than the lot of us combined.

Good to see that famous Scouse humour and warmth shining through in this thread.

Jonathon Ross utterly takes the piss out of everything and everybody on his programme. If Ringo had been all sanctimonious and trying to spin some PR bullshit he would have looked like a (even more of a) complete idiot.

There's plenty of people who will be sick to death of hearing about "Liverpooooool" and all this Capital of Culture thing and as a result we're up there as a city to have the piss taken out of us at the moment. But at least we're up there and we should be big enough to be able to take a joke at our own expense.

I'm glad I found this thread as what Ringo did on Friday really pissed me off. I'm not sensitive by any means but I also don't like up their own arse, sanctamonious wankers as well. The way I see it, Ringo made a lot of money out of Liverpool, part of the Beatle early success was due to their scouse charm and it seems now he's made it everyone in the city can just fuck off. His comments on Friday where so out of order. He didn't need to say that even if he meant it and he shit on the whole capital of culture thing in about 3 minutes. When he sneered "I even told the people I was debating moving back haha" I thought you fuckin prick. What it is is he's part of the biggest bands ever and has a lifetime of people sucking his dick and telling him how amazing he is and now he truly believes the hype. For some reason now he thinks he's a fuckin singer and has put out some woeful horseshit tunes (such as the conveniently named Liverpool 8 - again making money off his scouse connection).

I can't believe that anyone is on here defending him. He was totally graceless - even Ross was shocked that he didn't have a good word to say about his hometown. I think it would be wrong to be like that about any city on national TV let alone your hometown and the place where you had just been treated like a returning hero.