You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

13 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Watching again from start to finish. Halfway through S2. I'm still not happy about D going out like that. Too soon, too quick and by someone we didn't even know. After 19 episodes of D being one of the key characters it just felt like, "Oh, well kill him off now. Yeah, that'll do."

Shite. 

I didn't mine it. Proved unlike Some program's they wouldn't play it safe. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just finished a rewatch of it all. Surprisingly enjoyed the final 2 series more than previous times, but still think they made it too off piste with how lester was quick to join in with the bollocks. Was like a new character 

• Upvote 1

Can't find a video clip but Zenobia in the restaurant telling Darnell to take his napkin out of his collar

"Put that on yo lap, fool. You see anyone else up in here lookin all Fred Flintstone and shit?" 

That's the greatest line in season 4 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Class this by David Simon. The guy who provided Michael K Williams with the drugs that killed him got 30 months, but Simon asked for leniency because he said Williams was against mass incarceration and would have fought to prevent it in this case, also that he'd alway taken responsibility for his own actions.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jul/26/michael-k-williams-the-wire-overdose-death-drug-dealer-sentenced

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, A Red said:

Never seen this but on  S1 ep3, its not the Sopranos quality, does it get better?

I found the first couple of episodes of every season to be like that. Stick with it, it's an incredible show and right up there with The Sopranos.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

It's probably already been posted in this thread already but Fringe is on, my wife is watching and in the same episode Daniels and Bubbles appear, I was playing with my phone so only heard Bubbles' voice but knew who it was instantly. 

I don't know why that makes me so happy. 

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I rate the Wire as high as anything but I can't muster the desire to watch it again, and considering I've SOA, Breaking Bad and Sopranos at least 4  times through (sopranos must be 10) it makes no sense, it just seems to have aged worse.

Yeah i know what you mean. I think each series has to be taken as one, where the likes of the sopranos and breaking bad have very strong individual episodes.

I rarely think of the wire in terms of "that" episode, like I do with other great shows. They're like chapters of a book.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah i know what you mean. I think each series has to be taken as one, where the likes of the sopranos and breaking bad have very strong individual episodes.

I rarely think of the wire in terms of "that" episode, like I do with other great shows. They're like chapters of a book.

Exactly this. Although I do rewatch individual episodes it doesn't suit it as much as say the sopranos does