You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

I have all(?) three seasons now. Started on it a couple of days ago but have just watched two episodes.

Looking good so far. My first impression is that the casting is very, very good, and the build up vouch for a realistic drama with quality dialogs.

Dominic West (McNulty) is actually from Sheffield :sniff:

Unbelievable actor considering...I assumed he was American.

I have all(?) three seasons now. Started on it a couple of days ago but have just watched two episodes.

Looking good so far. My first impression is that the casting is very, very good, and the build up vouch for a realistic drama with quality dialogs.

Where do you download your stuff from Kop?

Where do you download your stuff from Kop?

Well, I have a mate that's into that stuff. I just put in the orders :party:

But I can dig up some good sites for you if you're interessted. You have to wait until wednesday though, as I'm not going to be much on here from now to then 8)

• 4 weeks later...
Knut - are you a couple of episodes into Season 1 or Season 3?

I've now watched the first two, and are a couple of episodes into the third season. One of the best drama series I've ever seen (not that I've seen that many, but this is up there with Sopranos I have to say).

I've now watched the first two, and are a couple of episodes into the third season. One of the best drama series I've ever seen (not that I've seen that many, but this is up there with Sopranos I have to say).

I'm still ahead of you, but you'll overtake me as I'm watching it week by week. I'm trying to decide which series is best, and I really can't. Each one is different to the other - yet equally brilliant.

Who's your favourite character? I can't decide between Bubbles and Omar.

I'm still ahead of you, but you'll overtake me as I'm watching it week by week. I'm trying to decide which series is best, and I really can't. Each one is different to the other - yet equally brilliant.

Who's your favourite character? I can't decide between Bubbles and Omar.

I was a bit surprised when the 2nd series started, as it was different to the first. I found out though, that it was it's strenght. They kept the red line in the story (well, it's more than a red line, but it's enough new things in it that makes it different), but change the environment to an extent that you're not dulled into a routine viewing.

Another strenght to the series, and maybe the reason I like it so much, is the caracters and the way they are presented. First of all they are great actors, and second the casting are not typical Hollywood (not the "you are in if you are pretty and know some acting" -kind of casting). My favourite caracter? Difficult, and both of those you mention are great. So is Avon (for the same reason as Omar; his coolness, although Omar has another side in addition which might put him in front), and Bodie(? he who took over for D'Angelo on the street). Frank Soboka is brilliant too. I could probably name 10 favourite caracters:-)

The whole environment they create in the series is very realistic. It gets to you on more than a thrilling or action way. The language and the rawness is very liberating, althoug it shouldn've been as the story often get to you (I'm probably loosing you know; this is the kind of post that would be to my benefit if I could write it in norwegian.....)

So what's your favourite scene? I have a few (although I'm not THAT into "favourite scenes"); the first is when McNulty and Bunk opens that old murder case and goes to reconstruct it. They solve the case during a conversation containing nothing but the word "fuck":-). Bunk too has his strong sides as a caracter (like when he was so pissed and tried to burn off the pussy smell from his pants before he could go home:-). The second scene if no comedy scene; when Bodie and Poot kills their mate (can't remember his name) on order because they think he's selling on side/are talking to the police. Very strong scene that, and also somehow liberating as it's not typical Hollywood to have bad endings like that.

Knut man, don't be down on your English; it blows my Scando clean out of the water. On favourite scenes, there's the various Bubbs addiction/redemption ones that are always very moving. I also love the Bunk/McNulty one you mentioned. However, my favourites all involve Omar - especially when he was grieving for his "boy" (incredible acting) and the court scene where he delivers the immortal lines about "Rippin' and runnin" whilst wearling a tie over his usual 'hood gear.

I'm now halfway through series 2, and what an astonishing drama it is. I'm still a huge Sopranos fan, but I think the Wire easily eclipses it in terms of drama, story development and dialogue. Only watching one episode at a time, because I don't want it to end.

How do I go about getting series 3? There's no official release yet and I'm mentally inferior when it comes to downloading and the like (although I am good at counting my fingers).

Knut, Red Avenger and Hoddy: I've just read the preview for next weeks' penultimate episode of Season 3 and the mighty Brother Mouzone makes his return. I'm awaiting an epic Nation of Islam Hitman vs. Psychotic Gay Robin Hood showdown between him and Omar. This show just gets better and better. Easily the best thing I've ever seen on telly.*

*Just realised you may not all be up to this stage, but I haven't given out any plot-spoilers there.

I've just finished the 3rd season. I'm not going to give up the story, but I've read some of the reviews on the 4th season. So for those of you that didn't know there's a 4th season planned; they started filming it late 2005 and starts showing it in 2006 (no date where I looked). For the teachers out there...., the 4th season should be an extra treat; "[....] the fourth season of THE WIRE will expand its focus to include a look at the role of the educational system in an urban environment."

Can't wait.

I've just finished the 3rd season. I'm not going to give up the story, but I've read some of the reviews on the 4th season. So for those of you that didn't know there's a 4th season planned; they started filming it late 2005 and starts showing it in 2006 (no date where I looked). For the teachers out there...., the 4th season should be an extra treat; "[....] the fourth season of THE WIRE will expand its focus to include a look at the role of the educational system in an urban environment."

Can't wait.

I've got two episodes to go, but you can see how the education thing could be a natural extension of this season with the whole issue of the kids in Hamsterdam and the new boxing gym Dennis is setting up.

Season 3 is the best yet, in my opinion. What do you think, Knut (without chucking out any plot spoilers)?

I've got two episodes to go, but you can see how the education thing could be a natural extension of this season with the whole issue of the kids in Hamsterdam and the new boxing gym Dennis is setting up.

Season 3 is the best yet, in my opinion. What do you think, Knut (without chucking out any plot spoilers)?

I think all seasons has something special to offer, but the 3rd might get the nod. I enjoyed the 'dock middleclass working man'-twist from the 2nd season too, and the politics in the 3rd is an important turn to make aswell. They have to be a bit careful though so they don't lose the rawness from the streets which I think does this series. I enjoy the politic aspect a lot, but it's a dangerous way to let the story go as a lot of other series has that aspect to them. They're holding head above water with it so far, but they shouldn't make it even more central than it is now. The same with the caracters; I'm not 100% convinced with that Carcetti-caracter running for mayor, altough he did grow on me as the season went. Making Brother Mouzone an intelligent suit isn't my favourite either. That's about the only critics I can make though.

Saw the penultimate episode of Season 3 last night. Fuck me, if it wasn't one of the finest hours of television I've ever seen in my life!!! Omar and Brother Mouzone before the credits and it just gets better from there on!!! Unbelievably tense telly. Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen this show, get on to it now. The best thing ever made for the small screen. Fuck knows how the finale is going to top that.

• 1 month later...
I'm now halfway through series 2, and what an astonishing drama it is. I'm still a huge Sopranos fan, but I think the Wire easily eclipses it in terms of drama, story development and dialogue. Only watching one episode at a time, because I don't want it to end.

How do I go about getting series 3? There's no official release yet and I'm mentally inferior when it comes to downloading and the like (although I am good at counting my fingers).

DVD release is sometime in September.

It's like being in prison waiting for it to come out. My bedroom is covered in little tally marks. Pisses my girlfriend right off.

Heard nothing about it, Knut, except what you (I think) posted on here about it being set in Baltimore's schools. I'm waiting for Amazon to drop the price of season 2 on DVD so I can watch it again, but I guess they'll only do that when the new one is on telly/DVD.

Agreed. I still haven't got round to buying any of The Sopranos because of the price.

That's why I haven't bought them too. Series 1 was £28.00 on amazon last week and some of the other series were £54.99! You've got be vigilant and try and get the bargains. I had all four series of Curb Your Enthuasiasm for £10.99 each before Christmas. Made up I was.

So, just caught 5 mins of The Wire, no idea which season or anything, but it was set in a diner, with "The Warehouse" being closed down and these 2 guys from the union wanting assurances from "The Greek" about being paid, since he wants to reopen "The Warehouse". So which channel is this shown on, and can you jump into it, or do you need to start from season 1; episode 1?