You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

cover versions

Total Longo

I've never heard that cover but i'd be amazed if it was better than the Beatles one. One of the most beautiful songs ever in my humble opinion.

Probabaly not better, but still pretty good. The "I Am Sam" soundtrack is all Beatles covers actually. Most of them are pretty straightforward, but there are a few quality numbers. Here's the tracklist...

1. Two of Us - Aimee Mann & Michael Penn

2. Blackbird - Sarah McLachlan

3. Across the Universe - Rufus Wainwright

4. I'm Looking Through You - The Wallflowers

5. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - Eddie Vedder

6. Strawberry Fields - Ben Harper

7. Mother Nature's Son - Sheryl Crow

8. Golden Slumbers - Ben Folds

9. I'm Only Sleeping - The Vines

10. Don't Let Me Down - Stereophonics

11. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Black Crowes

12. Julia - Chocolate Genius

13. We Can Work It Out - Heather Nova

14. Help - Howie Day

15. Nowhere Man - Paul Westerberg

16. Revolution - Grandaddy

17. Let It Be - Nick Cave

Best songs are 3, 8, 15 and 17. 1, 6 and 16 are also okay.

• 1 month later...

Cant remember if nayone posted this but Paul Weller's version of Rose Royce's " Wishing On A Star" quality from the mod father.

Crossroads by Cream. turning an old delta blues classic by Robert Johnson into one the best demonstrations of a Blue solo by God himself Eric Clapton pure excellence.

And the greatest cover of all " You'll Never Walk Alone" By LFC fans against Chelsea . Brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps. Nuff said

"Sunshine Of Your Love" by Spanky Wilson. A sure-fire floor-filler if ever I've played one.

Is that a cover of the one by Cream, and just to help you a few lines from the formentiond

" Its getting near dark der der der derr der when lights close their tired eyes der der der derr der "

Is that a cover of the one by Cream, and just to help you a few lines from the formentiond

" Its getting near dark der der der derr der when lights close their tired eyes der der der derr der "

The very same. It's kind of a skanking funk take on it with mental drums and horns and a raw female vocal from Spanky herself.

Guest Norman Bates

Johnny Cash - "One", "Solitary Man", "Personal Jesus", "Rusty Cage", "Hurt", "I Won't Back Down" ... the list goes on forever.

For me, a good cover version has to bring something new to a song, even if the original is brilliant. Like White Stripes - "Jolene" (Dolly Parton), The Byrds - "Mr Tambourine Man" (Dylan), Elvis Presley "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" (Dylan), Ray Charles "You Win Again" (Hank Williams), Uncle Tupelo "I Wanna Be Your Dog (Stooges), "Effigy" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and The Beatles' great cover of "Twist and Shout". Or Flying Burrito Brothers version of "Wild Horses", but as it came out a year before the Rolling Stones version, I'm not sure if it could be counted as a cover.

I'm listening to weller's Studio 150 at the mo and have to say "Wishing upon a star " is without doubt ,teh BEST cover version I've heard...its absolout class

He also does a very good version of the Irish/scotrtish trad classic "Black is the colour "

Close to you and All along the watch tower are very good as well

man ,can't wait till october when his new album is out

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...