You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

cover versions

Total Longo

Cover versions that actually improve on the original :

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix. Energises the Dull Dylan version

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music. Makes a great song even better. Surely the point.

Police and thieves - The Clash. Raw and more urgent than Junior Murvin.

Always on my mind - Pet Shop Boys. No fan of theirs but let's face it, anything's better than the hideous Presley original.

I'm sure there are tonnes more but i can't think of them.

• Upvote 1

Cover versions that actually improve on the original :

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix. Energises the Dull Dylan version

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music. Makes a great song even better. Surely the point.

Police and thieves - The Clash. Raw and more urgent than Junior Murvin.

Always on my mind - Pet Shop Boys. No fan of theirs but let's face it, anything's better than the hideous Presley original.

I'm sure there are tonnes more but i can't think of them.

I thought you had taste?

How about Travis doing hit me baby one more time, not a bad cover at all.

Sorry to state the obvious but Hallelujah sang by Jeff Buckley cannot be bettered.

And finally I would have to go for the finest cover version I have ever heard which would be bizarre love triangle done by an Aussie band called Frente. I would advise anyone who has never heard it to track it down on t'net or to buy the frente album it is on because it makes the new order version seem shallow an pointless.

As an aside. Has anyone seen that boybandish bloke who has covered Your woman by White town...utterly awful beyond words. I saw it as I flicked past "The Box" so I presume nobody has seen him and that nobody ever will once the record label owned station stop pushing it.

Lemonheads - Luca/Mrs Robinson - ace but not better than the original.

Radioheads cover of Nobody does it better is amazing, but i prefer the aimee mann version off the David Arnold Project.

Novaeu Vagues versions of friday night sunday morning (the specials) and too drunk to fuck (DK's) are both better than the originals imo.

Guest Gazmo25

Big fan of The Specials cover of Maggie's Farm, very well done considering they are covering a Dylan track. Also love the Everything But The Girl cover of Night and Day, although Sinatra and Billie Holliday take some beating! Also Nina Simone's cover of Here Comes The Sun, quality and Muse's cover of Feeling Good

Big fan of The Specials cover of Maggie's Farm, very well done considering they are covering a Dylan track. Also love the Everything But The Girl cover of Night and Day, although Sinatra and Billie Holliday take some beating! Also Nina Simone's cover of Here Comes The Sun, quality and Muse's cover of Feeling Good

No-one beats the Ella Fitzgerald version of "Night and Day". Whilst we're on Bacharach and David, the Bomb the Bass version of "Say a Little Prayer" is ace - clearly not better than Aretha's definitive version, but still ace.

Cover versions are so variable. If nothing new is brought to the song, it will invariably be shite. However, if (like Johnny Cash) the covering artist takes the tune in a bizarre new direction, there's a great chance of genius.

Guest Gazmo25
No-one beats the Ella Fitzgerald version of "Night and Day". Whilst we're on Bacharach and David, the Bomb the Bass version of "Say a Little Prayer" is ace - clearly not better than Aretha's definitive version, but still ace.

Cover versions are so variable. If nothing new is brought to the song, it will invariably be shite. However, if (like Johnny Cash) the covering artist takes the tune in a bizarre new direction, there's a great chance of genius.

Never heard the Ella version Paul, will have to try and dig it out. In terms of variation, that's why I like The Specials version of Maggies Farm, well sang, good backing and good variety in the tune.

Never heard the Ella version Paul, will have to try and dig it out. In terms of variation, that's why I like The Specials version of Maggies Farm, well sang, good backing and good variety in the tune.

It's on the Cole Porter Songbook album.

Lemonheads - Luca/Mrs Robinson

Oasis - I am the Walrus

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane

The Sundays - Wild Horses

The Walkmen - Mother Sky

Cannot agree with the Oasis vewrsion of I am the Walrus- just sounds nasal and dull. The Beatles version was so much better

Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

Frantically trying to think of someone doing a beatles cover that is better than the original and just can't. The Banshees version of Dear Prudence was pretty good but i don't think it was actually any better.

Joe Cocker murdered that tune, though.