You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Phil Thompson lost the plot?

Was aRdja right all along?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s better?

Maguire probably is a £50m player but that just illustrates how utterly fucking mental the transfer market is when you include the 'English premium'.

Lovren can play well for sustained periods but he still always looks like an accident waiting to happen.

VVD is better than both of them put together.

Can't believe I'm typing this after the shit I've given him but yeah, Lovren.  Mainly because no matter how good or bad Maguire might look in England's defence (or Leicester's) I can't see him in ours.  I don't actually want either of them if I'm honest but it makes sense to stick with a defender I don't want rather than pay £50m for another defender I don't want.

• Upvote 2

Imagine being such a shit centre back that you don't compare favourably to Lovren. Only an English player could do so and apparently be worth a fortune.

To be fair to Maguire; Otamendi, David Luiz, Mustafi, Mangala all of them cost a fortune, and they’re all much worse defenders than Dejan. It’s not as unique a phenomenon as you think unfortunately.

Harry Maguire is a big fucking goon who is getting great press and praise from fans right now because he’s played well in 3 games against sides who have sat deep and therefore not tested him.

That’s not to take anything away from England’s achievement of reaching the Semi Final because it’s not easy playing against teams that sit so deep (as we know), not to mention the significant pressures of tournament football etc.

The players that tend to look better in the types of games England have had though are the centre backs because they simply have less work to do.

We’ll get a better idea of Maguires ability on Wednesday (and possibly on Sunday).

• Upvote 1

Maguire looks a beast. But agree with others, need to see more to fully establish his worth. But Lovren? Seen loads of him and know he is fucking woeful.

Imagine if someone told you start of last year that one of them would be a World Cup finalist. I’m real happy for our boy Lovren.

There's some bizarre, alternative universe - dated 3 weeks ago - in which a single, mentally retarded inhabitant claimed that Pickford was a world class keeper, Maguire a world class defender, Henderson a world class midfielder, and Southgate a world class manager. That inhabitant was justifiably stoned to death.

Someone from here (I think Nelly-Torres?) mentioned Maguire as one to keep an eye out for. So the following weekend, Hull v United was on tele... Pogba is a talented but inconsistent midfielder. However one thing he’s brilliant at, perhaps one of the best in the world... is his freakish strength on the ball. I’ve very very rarely seen him outmuscled. First I took real notice of Maguire was when he outmuscled Pogba... and the Frenchman seemed as shocked as I was. The occasion didn’t seem to get to him either... he made a few of his now customary forward runs with the ball. I knew then that he’d be a very good footballer. I certainly didn’t foresee him being talked about as one of the best in the league within a couple of years. Credit to him.

• Upvote 2