You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Automatic Cars

Section_31

I'll be in the US later in the year and will probably hire a car for a few days, which I presume would be an automatic. Is it worth me having a quick lesson in one just so I know what I'm doing, or are they really that easy?

To give a bit of background, I didn't learn to drive til I was 30ish, so I never feel that comfortable in a new car. I've hired cars abroad twice before (manuals) and each time it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get then into reverse!!

I'll be in the US later in the year and will probably hire a car for a few days, which I presume would be an automatic. Is it worth me having a quick lesson in one just so I know what I'm doing, or are they really that easy?

To give a bit of background, I didn't learn to drive til I was 30ish, so I never feel that comfortable in a new car. I've hired cars abroad twice before (manuals) and each time it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get then into reverse!!

Just make sure your left foot is kept well out of the way (tucked in behind you) and you'll be sound. I say this as the first time I was in one years ago, I went to slam the clutch down to change gears instinctively but there isn't one, just the brake and accelerator - and slammed on the break whilst doing a fair bit of speed on the expressway from Widnes towards Speke. Luckily there was no one behind me. For an automatic, I only ever use my right foot (for both breaking and accelerating).

I feel like I'm being conned here. 

"Just get one, they're great!" 

"Less work, more snooze!" 

"Fuck hills with an auto" 

"We're doing it wrong - drive the European way!" 

"They drink more petrol but make traffic more enjoyable" 

"Drive with one foot - it's fucking ace" 

I'm not buying one because real men are manual by nature. And I love hills. 

This. They're boss Mark. With automatic lights, windscreen wipers that start when it rains, and cruise control, nowadays you pretty much just point the car in the direction you want to go and that's it. I never really liked driving that much is the caveat to all of this; I just saw having a car as useful.

Just make sure your left foot is kept well out of the way (tucked in behind you) and you'll be sound. I say this as the first time I was in one years ago, I went to slam the clutch down to change gears instinctively but there isn't one, just the brake and accelerator - and slammed on the break whilst doing a fair bit of speed on the expressway from Widnes towards Speke. Luckily there was no one behind me. For an automatic, I only ever use my right foot (for both breaking and accelerating).

Are we the same person ?

I first drove one approx 4 years ago whilst working in the Netherlands. Nearly gave myself whiplash the first time I drove it as I used my right foot to accelerate and my left to brake. The people with/watching me thought it was highly amusing. 

It was a VW Golf and was smooth as anything when changing gears. Plus it had auto hand brake, so driving to lights, use brake to stop and hand brake comes on automatically, press accelerator and hand brake comes off automatically and car moves. 

Absolutely brilliant, after 8 months working, when I returned home, first thing I said to the wife, we are getting an automatic. The wife drove one and hated it. 

Had our new car for 3 years and neither myself or wife would ever consider going back. Only issue is I don't now know how to switch the headlights on. 

Disclaimer: Like the Chimp I only think of a car as a way of getting from a to b and not an object of fun.

• Upvote 1

Been renting several tines each year in USA and some are good, i.e. very easy to drive, nothing really different except not having to worry about using the other hand to switch gears etc.

I would recommend not going the whole way and changing to hybrid or fully wlextric on the first try though. There is alot of changes all the way through with different dials etc also, not just having to worry about wrong side of road, automatic v. stick etc. Change gradually.