You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Invited To New FIFA Club World Cup

Aventus

I thought it was a shite idea but then found out we were included and we'd get a minimum of 50m so now I think it's great.

I think Everton should be allowed to enter especially if Corinthians from Brazil are in it. And the fact that grey would have won at least 5 European Cups ifithadntbinferHeysel.

Where'e the FIFA Club World Cup money, John?

I imagine only the first one or two tournaments will include teams like Ajax and the like, after that it'll be something like the big 4 league winners, European Cup winners and previous world club Cup winner if they don't fall into the previous categories.

Don't see the point, as teams outside of Europe wouldn't stand a chance of winning it.

We already have a world club cup, it's called the Champions League.

Really?

The point, to me, is patently obvious. As a European competition, FIFA can't get their hands on any Champions League money. Therefore, they want to organise their own, "global" competition so that they can skim their cut off the top.

The FIFA Club World Cup that we have now is the prototype. The problem, for FIFA, is that none of the European clubs care about it at all (making it worth a lot less). The South Americans love it, because they play their first team against the CL winners' B team and occasionally win so they can brag about how "we beat Real Madrid" or whatever. I think, at least at first, this would be pretty similar, with the European clubs mostly looking at it as a highly profitable inconvenience.

I hadn't even thought about the point cloggypop raises, though. If the Champions League is already consolidating one team above all the others in many leagues to a huge extent with the current format, how much worse is it going to be if there's a minimum guarantee of £50m?

Ajax had total revenues of about £100m last year. You're talking about handing them a bonus of 50% of their total turnover every year? That will pretty much end the Eredivisie as a thing, it will make Bayern's dominance of the Bundesliga look temporary.

This is an awful, awful idea. The only thing it will accomplish is to push UEFA into finally giving up and just declaring the SuperLeague thing they debate every few years as a way of cutting off FIFA at the pass. Which, I suppose, if Liverpool are a part of it it'll be great for us financially but it would be a fundamental shift in the way football works across Europe, and not for the better.

• Upvote 1

Another champions league in the summer meaning the best players will now only get a chance to recoup once every four years (Euros, World Cup, this shite.)

Splendid idea but with most of modern football, money talks and it'll happen if there's enough cash involved.

You're talking about handing them a bonus of 50% of their total turnover every year? [/font][/color]

Will only be once every 4 years.

Any chance this thread can be merged with the shitness of modern football one please.

I don't start many threads, don't take this away from me, it's the only good thing I've got going on in my life.
  • Upvote 2

European league will never happen because big clubs who are used to winning games and/or trophies won’t like losing games, being mid table or bottom half (someone has to) and not winning the league possibly ever, they just wouldn’t like it

Really?

The point, to me, is patently obvious. As a European competition, FIFA can't get their hands on any Champions League money. Therefore, they want to organise their own, "global" competition so that they can skim their cut off the top.

The FIFA Club World Cup that we have now is the prototype. The problem, for FIFA, is that none of the European clubs care about it at all (making it worth a lot less). The South Americans love it, because they play their first team against the CL winners' B team and occasionally win so they can brag about how "we beat Real Madrid" or whatever. I think, at least at first, this would be pretty similar, with the European clubs mostly looking at it as a highly profitable inconvenience.

I hadn't even thought about the point cloggypop raises, though. If the Champions League is already consolidating one team above all the others in many leagues to a huge extent with the current format, how much worse is it going to be if there's a minimum guarantee of £50m?

Ajax had total revenues of about £100m last year. You're talking about handing them a bonus of 50% of their total turnover every year? That will pretty much end the Eredivisie as a thing, it will make Bayern's dominance of the Bundesliga look temporary.

This is an awful, awful idea. The only thing it will accomplish is to push UEFA into finally giving up and just declaring the SuperLeague thing they debate every few years as a way of cutting off FIFA at the pass. Which, I suppose, if Liverpool are a part of it it'll be great for us financially but it would be a fundamental shift in the way football works across Europe, and not for the better.

I suppose they could make qualification for it a play off from the top 4 of whatever league's the teams play in. At least it would give teams a fighting chance to break the monopoly. Not that the interest of fairness and competition has anything to do with it.

It’s classic FIFA. You can’t just create a tournament and think fans are going to be arsed by it. It doesn’t work like that. The thing they seem to miss every single time is that it’s the fans that generate the money. The fan has to be invested in it to want to watch it and pay for that privilege. As has been mentioned it’s just that FIFA want their piece of the European money pie they’re being excluded from. The money on offer as a prize would make the domestic leagues even more unbalanced.

Things are going to come to a head soon. There’s surely only so long that countries can stay interested in football if it’s just not competitive and the same cunts just win the league and champions league every year. It would be depressing to be a fan in Germany or Italy right now I think. Even as a Bayern or Juve fan it would all feel so hollow.

It’s classic FIFA. You can’t just create a tournament and think fans are going to be arsed by it. It doesn’t work like that. The thing they seem to miss every single time is that it’s the fans that generate the money. The fan has to be invested in it to want to watch it and pay for that privilege. As has been mentioned it’s just that FIFA want their piece of the European money pie they’re being excluded from. The money on offer as a prize would make the domestic leagues even more unbalanced.

Things are going to come to a head soon. There’s surely only so long that countries can stay interested in football if it’s just not competitive and the same cunts just win the league and champions league every year. It would be depressing to be a fan in Germany or Italy right now I think. Even as a Bayern or Juve fan it would all feel so hollow.

A City fan in my work is a season ticket holder, every single day after the match and I try talking to him about it he looks proper fed up, moaning that it's not fun or exciting anymore because it's not even a case of if they're gonna win or not, but how many goals they'll win by. Soulless club.

I imagine Bayern fans feel the same, and probably miss the Klopp at Dortmund days because it was almost competitive.

A City fan in my work is a season ticket holder, every single day after the match and I try talking to him about it he looks proper fed up, moaning that it's not fun or exciting anymore because it's not even a case of if they're gonna win or not, but how many goals they'll win by. Soulless club.

I imagine Bayern fans feel the same, and probably miss the Klopp at Dortmund days because it was almost competitive.

Ha, how ridiculous . They don't win every game or every trophy. Was it soulless for us when we dominated all? I hope you told him to grow up.