Quantcast
Liverpool Invited To New FIFA Club World Cup - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way

FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION with every new registration!

Register on the forums today and receive one month's FREE access to all subscriber only content, including match reports, the TLW Diary and Premier League Round Ups. Registration costs nothing and there is no obligation to continue with your subscription once the free month trial has expired. 

To register a FREE account with us, click here, and then be sure to check the box for 'the FREE Monty' to receive immediate access to the subscriber only content and exclusive Members Forum.

Support the site

Follow TLW

TLW Facebook TLW Instagram TLW Podcast TLW Youtube TLW RSS

Advertisement

Snack Media

TLW T-Shirts

Uncle Sam Sports

Sponsored Links

Photo

Liverpool Invited To New FIFA Club World Cup

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 aventus

aventus

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

https://www.google.c...fa-14663712.amp

FIFA are ready to invite Liverpool to take part in a new 24-team Club World Cup to be held every four years and launching in 2021.

The tournament would have 12 teams from Europe, with clubs who have won at least three European Cups the first to be invited.

The tournament could earn participants more than £100million, but UEFA and the Premier League are furious with the proposal and will oppose the new competition.

FIFA will push ahead with plans for the new tournament regardless, with the first to take place in June 2021. China is understood to have already expressed an interest in being the first host nation.

The story was revealed exclusively by today's Times with Martyn Ziegler's report claiming first invitees would include Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Ajax and Inter Milan. Juventus would also be invited on the basis of having won two European Cups and two Intercontinental titles.

The three other European places would be selected by a separate process, so far undetermined, with other leading clubs such as Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Benfica, and Borussia Dortmund in the mix.

Gianni Infantino, the FIFA president, is anxious to secure an agreement before the World Cup starts in Russia on June 14, and is expected to call an emergency FIFA Council meeting on or around June 1 to get the go-ahead.

Infantino and his deputy secretary general, Zvonimir Boban, have already held talks with Manchester United, Manchester City and Real Madrid, and had a positive response.

The 24 clubs would share a pot of $2 billion (about £1.5 billion), with the winner earning as much as £100 million and a guaranteed minimum £50 million.

The new Club World Cup would replace the low-profile annual event that takes place in December and FIFA would also scrap the Confederations Cup, to ease fears that it would mean more demands on the top players.

#2 VladimirIlyich

VladimirIlyich

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

It was a farce like this which United got involved in a few years back which turned into a disaster.
“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.”

#3 Paulie Dangerously

Paulie Dangerously

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Actually think it would be great

"The TLW ITK" 

Firmino 

Klopp

Mane

Salah

Coutinho Transfer request

VVD in January

Coutinho confirmed fee 

Fabinho broke before official LFC release 

Shaqiri interest just after Stoke's relegation

Alisson 

?????

#4 Tony Moanero

Tony Moanero

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Load of bollocks.

#5 VladimirIlyich

VladimirIlyich

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

We are not even the best team in England,yet.
“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.”

#6 sir roger

sir roger

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

The present World team cup takes about a week / 10 days with 6 teams doesn't it ? How long will it be take for 24 teams. 

Gary , you didn't kill your brother. Those gorillas did.

#7 magicrat

magicrat

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Are Everton not invited ?

#8 VladimirIlyich

VladimirIlyich

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Are Everton not invited ?

ifithadnabinforFIFA.

#9 dockers_strike

dockers_strike

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Invites extended to teams with at least 3 European Cups and in Juventus case 2 intercontinental cups.

Competition will not start for a few years so hopefully we have finally been Champions of England at least twice by then. But it is another FIFA competition to wear players out.

#10 SasaS

SasaS

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

So, this will replace the club world championship which turned into a meaningless competition, and confederations cup, which turned into a meaningless competition. You could say that the pattern recognizing software at FIFA isnt working properly.

I'm really liking what he's giving us right now. If it continues then soon people will be talking about the 'SASAS'.

Dave Usher

#11 Bob Spunkmouse

Bob Spunkmouse

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

So, this will replace the club world championship which generates cash through meaningless competition, and confederations cup, which generates cash through a meaningless competition. You could say that the pattern recognizing equipment at FIFA is working as planned.

Fixed.
why do birds suddenly appear?

#12 Saintslfc13

Saintslfc13

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

To be fair the South American teams take the club world cup really seriously. This seems like a step towards a “super league” whilst trying to appease the domestic leagues. I’d be for us participating but ultimately its not established so we’ll have to see if the idea breeds anything worth doing.

#13 WhiskeyJar

WhiskeyJar

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

Meh.

Isn't this a twist on the superleague division we heard rumbling a few years back?

#14 INTORRESTING

INTORRESTING

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

good for the authorities and the owners.

#15 Stickman

Stickman

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Wasn't fussed about the idea till I read UEFA and the Premier League are furious about it now I'm all for it

#16 ZonkoVille77

ZonkoVille77

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

It's inevitable that something like this will happen.

If you ever say that to me again, I'll put your head through the wall.

#17 Reckoner

Reckoner

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

Wasn't fussed about the idea till I read UEFA and the Premier League are furious about it now I'm all for it

Repped for being motivated by hate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no more talk about the old days, it's time for something great- Thom Yorke

#18 VERBAL DIARRHEA

VERBAL DIARRHEA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

64 team CL won't be far off.
Contrarians are sad virgins with fuck all better to do!

#19 Numero Veinticinco

Numero Veinticinco

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

I'm into it.

When it comes to sex I'm similar to the thrilla in Manilla. A pimp by blood, not relation.

#20 INTORRESTING

INTORRESTING

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Forest?

Separate process, ha ha.  Let's have some rules and then bend them massively until we have the richest clubs all in one tournament - comedy.

Something else to fuck our pre season and add to the workload.  I might be for it if the 100 million was going to be spent on players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users