You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting to Kiev and Accomodation

Nice work Remington Cook, can you find a decent flight back to UK on Sunday?

Looks like most of the Wizzair flights out of Kyiv have sold out, there are some flights out of Lviv on the 27th, but that is a trek from Kyiv (540km).

I've booked a proper tour of Europe.

Fly from Liverpool to Bologna via Dublin on the 24th. Then Bologna to Kiev via Lviv overnight.

Fly out of Kiev to Hannover at 6am on the 28th. Jumping a train to Hamburg and then back to Manchester that night.

Staying at an airbnb I booked a few weeks ago.

My brother and mates were all unsuccessful in the ballot so I'm heading out on my own. First time I've done anything like that but I figure it'll be easy to find bars full of Reds and I don't know when the opportunity will come around again.

Exactly the same, I was the only one who got a ticket out of all of us.

Flying solo too but have to go, there’ll be plenty of reds around the city.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know what the score is with the currency over there? Heard a few conflicting things, ie taking sterling and changing it over there is no bother, but heard from some people that euros is advised, rather. Also, heard a few scare stories about debit and credit cards being cloned after use over there. Are they exaggerations? Still, would cash transactions at all times be best?

Hello Lads,

I’m an old TLW reader, subscriber and fan even though I don’t post quite often. But Dave U can doublecheck my post.

Here is a link with a Red Friendly pub in Kiev :

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294474-d10077966-Reviews-Pub_Chemodan-Kiev.html

Its in the city center, not far from the train station and not that far from the stadium.

I used to live and work in Kiev a long time ago, and I happen to go back there once in a while.

I know it’s been hard for you to set up you trip and stay over there, but it’s a great city and Ukrainian people are nice.

Enjoy your stay and drink the local lagers !

YNWA

• Upvote 2

It appears World Choice Sports have cancelled a trip due to the failure to obtain a landing slot. How do you sell a trip without securing that rather vital element first?

I have booked my day trip with them. Hoping my flight is unaffected....

So, my flight is affected. Im told by text this afternoon that my flight has been cancelled due to insufficient landing slots. They will give me my money back tomorrow.

Ive told them I expect them to refund my non-refundable costs and compensate me for stress and inconvenience.

In the meantime, I am now flying to Warsaw tomorrow and getting a 14 hour bus ride to Kiev returning on Monday. Mrs B not impressed. And nor am i.

World Choice Sports should not survive this debacle. And Anderson should keep his mouth closed if he cannot deliver the resolution he promised.

• Upvote 7

So, my flight is affected. Im told by text this afternoon that my flight has been cancelled due to insufficient landing slots. They will give me my money back tomorrow.

Ive told them I expect them to refund my non-refundable costs and compensate me for stress and inconvenience.

In the meantime, I am now flying to Warsaw tomorrow and getting a 14 hour bus ride to Kiev returning on Monday. Mrs B not impressed. And nor am i.

World Choice Sports should not survive this debacle. And Anderson should keep his mouth closed if he cannot deliver the resolution he promised.

FFS, that’s horrible Barnesey.

Arrived at my airbnb this morning after 24 hours travel to find a load of nice freshly cooked Ukrainian food waiting for me.

The girl who owns it only gave me one house rule which was to say to watch my drinks if I bring a hooker back as she doesn't want the place getting robbed. She's been fair enough with that I reckon.

• Upvote 9

Sorry to hear this, hope you make it ok

Twats. 

Arrived at my airbnb this morning after 24 hours travel to find a load of nice freshly cooked Ukrainian food waiting for me.

The girl who owns it only gave me one house rule which was to say to watch my drinks if I bring a hooker back as she doesn't want the place getting robbed. She's been fair enough with that I reckon.

Do you have her name? number? fax? address? please. I am writing a piece on 'unfussy airbnb hosts' and think she could add some genuine value. Thanks. 

4 flights cancelled. Utter disgrace. To these companies their obligation seems to end with a full refund. Yeah right that soon mends broken hearts and dreams. UEFA is also culpable over this. Staging a major final in a city whose airport cannot handle the extra flights. Twats.