Quantcast
What will be the next revolutionary tactic? - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way

FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION with every new registration!

Register on the forums today and receive one month's FREE access to all subscriber only content, including match reports, the TLW Diary and Premier League Round Ups. Registration costs nothing and there is no obligation to continue with your subscription once the free month trial has expired. 

To register a FREE account with us, click here, and then be sure to check the box for 'the FREE Monty' to receive immediate access to the subscriber only content and exclusive Members Forum.

Support the site

Follow TLW

TLW Facebook TLW Instagram TLW Podcast TLW Youtube TLW RSS

Advertisement

Snack Media

TLW T-Shirts

Uncle Sam Sports

Sponsored Links

Photo

What will be the next revolutionary tactic?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Jay86

Jay86

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

I watched Footballs Greatest on Arrigo Sacchi last night and it got me thinking of what could be the next revolutionary manager and style of play?

He revolutionised Italian football and has helped to influence this generation of managers like Klopp and Guardiola etc

20 years ago Wenger came to England and based his team on power and pace and the rest of League wasn’t prepared for it so they dominated and overpowered almost all teams.

Then Mourinho and Benitez’s style of a defensive 4-2-3-1 which was essentially two separate teams, one defensive unit of 6 then 4 attackers dominated European football for the best part of a decade, teams weren’t prepared for that solidity at the back yet having a fluid front 4. Benitez won La Liga by having a head start with this style of play that everyone else copied afterwards but it was too late he was one step ahead.

It was the same for Klopp at Dortmund they had a high intense high Press game before anyone else, so took the league by surprise and storm and nobody could handle it, now nearly every team in Germany plays this style so it’s back to normality with Bayern’s spending power being the deciding factor in winning the league. Guardiola did it also with Barca at the same time.

At the moment the high intensity teams like us, Man City, Tottenham, Napoli etc are having a lot of success with this style of play but they’ll be a system that comes along soon and not only nullifies high pressing but also changes the way football is played at the highest level. There’s always a manager who comes along and creates something that everyone else copies, I thought it was going to be Conte’s 3-4-3 for a while but teams quickly figured that one out.

Just wondered what everyone else thinks it could be? And what young or at the moment relatively unknown managers are capable of changing football?

I think this generation of high press is the most entertaining for fans because it’s creates crazy games where it’s so intense mistakes happen and the game could finish 4-3. Just hoping that it doesn’t go back to the ultra defensive way it was going a few years back m.

#2 General Dryness

General Dryness

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

Big fat goalkeepers.

Everton were way ahead of their time with that one.

#3 Jennings

Jennings

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hoverboots.

Gentleman Gamer.

#4 General Dryness

General Dryness

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Deathball.

I haven't thought of the rules yet, but there'll be death involved somewhere down the line.

#5 Jairzinho

Jairzinho

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

I think Pep will eventually play a team with two wing backs and eight central midfielders.

Do you know what it's like to clean up your own mother's piss? What are you smiling at? What are you grinning at? Do you think it's funny? Do you think I'm funny? Do you think my mother's piss is funny? Well, it's not funny! She's not laughing! She's pissing herself!

“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.” 

#6 General Dryness

General Dryness

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

I think Pep will eventually play a team with two wing backs and eight central midfielders.

Eventually?

#7 dockers_strike

dockers_strike

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:22 PM

That Sacchi built his teams on Bob Paisleys model of Liverpool.

#8 Jairzinho

Jairzinho

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Eventually?

Well, eventually by the end of the month,

Do you know what it's like to clean up your own mother's piss? What are you smiling at? What are you grinning at? Do you think it's funny? Do you think I'm funny? Do you think my mother's piss is funny? Well, it's not funny! She's not laughing! She's pissing herself!

“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.” 

#9 an tha

an tha

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

Whatever it is Everton have already thought of it, executed it with proper Corinthian spirit and won fuck all with it.

That you can guarantee.

#10 Johnlj

Johnlj

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

The way we play now reminds of how Wenger did when he came here. Fast counters, wonderful interaction, switching sides, power football with fast players. Think he was one of the first in a long time to play with fullbacks that high. Even though it was 4-4-2 on paper the players where all over the place. Bergkamp feeding Wright, Overmars rampaging, Ljungberg the same on the right. Vieira powering box to box in the middle. Not the same formation but almost  the same in speed, power and interaction. 

All before he went dilly dally and lost his way and wanted 95% possesion because it looked cool in the top corner of the screen. 

I think everyone was really blown away then, even though I hate that club with a passion they played wonderful football and was a challenge to the mancs. We play that tempo now, probably a notch or two higher considering fitness levels of players are higher now than the nineties.

Everything recycles, just hope catenaccio never will. Even though Maureen is close. 

If you come at the king, You best not miss.

#11 TheHowieLama

TheHowieLama

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

The new thing will be scoring more goals than the other fellas -- you watch, it will catch on.

Full kit wanker.

#12 The Guest

The Guest

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

It does seem to go in cycles. You get managers who come up with innovative ways of attacking and others who then follow suit. You then get your managers that figure out how to negate those tactics in a negative manner. I don’t know if It’s because of the gulf in quality between the best teams and the next set down but it feels like the current season has been attack v defence in so many games not just involving Liverpool.

What this means going forward is anyone’s guess really. If the teams outside the top 6 in England get beat all the one by the top 6 just sitting back and playing for a draw there will hit a point where they just think fuck it let’s just attack. When that finally happens I think the game itself will improve again.

Personally I think the 442 will make a solid comeback soon (if it hasn’t already) with how defensive sides are and how flexible that formation can be. It also used to provide the most entertaining games which made the English game the most popular in the world.

#13 Jay86

Jay86

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

There always seems to be a team and manager that comes from nowhere and are very successful until they get picked apart by bigger teams.

Mourinho-Porto
Rafa-Valencia
Klopp-Dortmund
Jardim-Monaco (that ones a shame they got ripped apart before they had a chance to do anything special)
Sarri-Napoli
Van Gaal-Ajax

There’s plenty more examples of it.

#14 Captain Turdseye

Captain Turdseye

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

I want to see teams playing the offside trap on free kicks in their own half by lining up in line with wherever the free kick is being taken from. Let’s have it.

#15 Skaro

Skaro

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

I want to see teams playing the offside trap on free kicks in their own half by lining up in line with wherever the free kick is being taken from. Let’s have it.

As in, not stand back the requisite and obligatory 10 yards behind the ball?

Oh, a Bordeaux is one of the clarets all right.

#16 Captain Turdseye

Captain Turdseye

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:35 PM

As in, not stand back the requisite and obligatory 10 yards behind the ball?

Ten yards either side. It’s a foolproof plan.

#17 TheHowieLama

TheHowieLama

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Talkin bout a revolution

Full kit wanker.

#18 El Dangerous

El Dangerous

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Teams that can defend properly without being shithouses.

Pep has one eye on rush goalies no doubt.

#19 Skaro

Skaro

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

Ten yards either side. It’s a foolproof plan.

Yep. I like that.

Oh, a Bordeaux is one of the clarets all right.

#20 Shooter in the Motor

Shooter in the Motor

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

The next step will be when there are proven entities that exist beyond this world and by tapping in to this extraordinary power the coaches will be able to trip players over by use of a 'ghost' and the player will be left bemused, scratching his head and wondering how he got tripped when through on goal all by himself. The ball will then be kicked by this 'ghost' all the way up front to Salah who will then deflect the ball off another 'ghost' and Kane will claim it as his.

It will be called 'Ghost-en-pressing'.

I'll read the words you wrote. "Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do." This doesn't make any sense!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users