You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kate Beckinsale

JohnnyH

I think TK has a point about “toxic masculinity” and how it can breed uncomfortable and oftentimes dangerous situations for women. It’s always important to consider historical precedent and the sheer scale and nature of male violence and abuse against women, sexually and otherwise. It annoys me when I see people railing against ‘feminism’ (whatever they percieve that to mean) because if we are to progress as a society we need to be listening to these ideas and taking them on board, where necessary.

I don’t know if it wholly applies to how we communicate in here - the ‘men talk’, objectification of women etc. (which sometimes does overstep the mark) as I’m sure the majority of us here know how to behave in the real world without being the lecherous freaks we can appear behind the security of online anonymity.

I also don’t think objectification of beauty is a bad thing per se. I check women out all the time without knowing the content of their character, and I always clock people checking me out, it’s part of human interaction and it can lead nowhere, or sometimes it can lead to a conversation and whatever else. It’s not an intrinsic negative, as long as you stay within the boundaries of respect.

In the case of beautiful women who work and live in the public eye, a lot of the time their fame and notoriety is based on how they look. If that’s what certain people are drawn to, to the point of overlooking their other talents; I’m afraid it kind of comes with the territory, to a certain extent. But there is a line, and we could do more to stop people jumping over it.

• Upvote 2

I think TK has a point about “toxic masculinity” and how it can breed uncomfortable and oftentimes dangerous situations for women. It’s always important to consider historical precedent and the sheer scale and nature of male violence and abuse against women, sexually and otherwise. It annoys me when I see people railing against ‘feminism’ (whatever they percieve that to mean) because if we are to progress as a society we need to be listening to these ideas and taking them on board, where necessary.

I don’t know if it wholly applies to how we communicate in here - the ‘men talk’, objectification of women etc. (which sometimes does overstep the mark) as I’m sure the majority of us here know how to behave in the real world without being the lecherous freaks we can appear behind the security of online anonymity.

I also don’t think objectification of beauty is a bad thing per se. I check women out all the time without knowing the content of their character, and I always clock people checking me out, it’s part of human interaction and it can lead nowhere, or sometimes it can lead to a conversation and whatever else. It’s not an intrinsic negative, as long as you stay within the boundaries of respect.

In the case of beautiful women who work and live in the public eye, a lot of the time their fame and notoriety is based on how they look. If that’s what certain people are drawn to, to the point of overlooking their other talents; I’m afraid it kind of comes with the territory, to a certain extent. But there is a line, and we could do more to stop people jumping over it.

What a roundabout way just to get this titbit in the public domain Moofy. 

• Upvote 3

I suspect they are staring at your outlandish clobber in awe and amazement

I think so, yeah.  It goes like this.  Start thread about attractive female.  Mention that said female "remains" one of the most attractive women of all time (I bet she was worried that she was falling down the JohnnyH pecking order but no, she remains right up there).  Post some photos.  Say nothing whatsoever about any of her other attributes.  Wait for the rep to flow in.  Walk off like a real man into the sunset.

Joking aside, is this a real comment? As in, are you being serious here?

I’m happy to debate this with you as some of your other comments have merit I suppose, however the stuff above just seems bitchy. The ‘remains’ comment was especially weird - it reminded me of when people say they don’t rate a player and some oddball replies “I bet he’s gutted”. It’s such a weird response. That’s why I ask if you’re being serious.

Theres a conversation to be had in line with the stopping of pitstop girls in formula 1 and where feminism and the viewing of a woman as beautiful lies when the woman’s chief asset to getting the job was her attractiveness that she is exploiting in a positive way for her own career. Same applies for many men such as the lad who plays Thor. He was never going to get that job if he looked like an average bloke.

It’s also very important to say that this conversation is very much away from the whole #metoo movement which is very much about stopping sexual assaults, albeit it’s been somewhat hijacked in a positive way by the fair pay movement also. That is an entirely different thing to just saying a woman is beautiful who was being talked about elsewhere.

What you seem to be trying to rail against is very attractive woman being viewed as very attractive after they’ve presented themselves that way. Or is it you’d just have been happy had I added “she’s a very good actress” to my comments? Although I’d say in my limited knowledge of the intricacies of good acting she’s never struck me as anything other than fine?

Or is it the rep thing? Usually the only people who bring it up are the people to whom ‘rep’ points is very important. I’ve not posted much on here over the last 2 or 3 years so ‘rep’ is not something I’ve really noticed or am arsed about.

Or do you not like middle-aged men? I’m 45 now so I’m pretty much middle aged. I take exception to the fat thing though. I’ve put on a few pounds over the last 5 months due to being sedentary as a result of a significant change in my circumstances, but I’m not fat. So less of the fat stuff. Fatist.

On being cast on their looks, you know on films where for instance a man’s pissed up in a club and takes a woman home, wakes up and she’s an old, scruffy, fat, ugly looking woman.

How do you go about auditioning for that role? Do you read in an agency that the role calls for an old, fat, ugly woman that’s there to disgust the audience and then think ‘I’m ugly, I’m fat, I’m old and I’m pretty sure I’m all these enough to disgust the audience, I’m going for it’.

• Upvote 1

On being cast on their looks, you know on films where for instance a man’s pissed up in a club and takes a woman home, wakes up and she’s an old, scruffy, fat, ugly looking woman.

How do you go about auditioning for that role? Do you read in an agency that the role calls for an old, fat, ugly woman that’s there to disgust the audience and then think ‘I’m ugly, I’m fat, I’m old and I’m pretty sure I’m all these enough to disgust the audience, I’m going for it’.

The one that always got me on that was the role of a very old person who’ll die of natural causes during the movie. Imagine your agent ringing you about that role?