You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Exercise, Fitness, Health, and Well-being’ Thread

What misinformation, mate? I’ll have a deeper dig.

Sorry mate misinformation is probably the wrong word.

I dislike these magic bullet ideas. All you need to do is this. Little or no effort required.

No mention is made of intensity, dietary modifications, previous activity etc.

For all we know one of these examples could have previous been an Olympic athlete.

No mention is made of the massive issue of the psychological incentive in workout style. I could not be arsed working out everyday if all I ever did day after day was kettle bell swings. That would bore the shit out of me and I would quickly pack it in.

As much as we continuously search for the easiest fastest and less stressful route to fitness and strength it does not exist. It is hard work, requires dedication and constant adaptation and progression.

Anyone know a site that sets up a good work out plan. Cant use all heavy free weights as im at the gym at 4:30am and its completely empty. So can risk fucking around with something i cannot drop.

I work out on my own mate with free weights and never have I ever had to drop them.

If worried get into the squat rack and use the safety bar.

Sorry mate misinformation is probably the wrong word.

I dislike these magic bullet ideas. All you need to do is this. Little or no effort required.

No mention is made of intensity, dietary modifications, previous activity etc.

For all we know one of these examples could have previous been an Olympic athlete.

No mention is made of the massive issue of the psychological incentive in workout style. I could not be arsed working out everyday if all I ever did day after day was kettle bell swings. That would bore the shit out of me and I would quickly pack it in.

As much as we continuously search for the easiest fastest and less stressful route to fitness and strength it does not exist. It is hard work, requires dedication and constant adaptation and progression.

Yeah, I see your point. I was really posting it because I’m interested in Kettlebells. They seem very effective according to a lot of fairly credible people.

Yeah, I see your point. I was really posting it because I’m interested in Kettlebells. They seem very effective according to a lot of fairly credible people.

If you analyse the biometrics of the kettlebell swing it is basically a push press using a bit more aerobic emphasis. Certainly a great movement for overall body work as it is absolutely a sound compound exercise.

I would definitely not rule them out but as the focus of a routine I would be very reluctant.

To maximise hypertrophic development you are looking at up to somewhere around 15 reps. You will soon hit that and development will be limited unless you start shelling out for more of them.

Sets of squats and push press combined with KB swings to finish off when already knackered would work well both in muscle development, aerobic fitness and calorie burn.

There is nothing like enough weight in KB to do decent squat work. I’m by no means strong but I can knock out 5 sets of 10 rep 100kg squats as a medium intensity workout. Holding 2 50kg KB’s would break your grip or pull your trapezius muscles before your legs felt the resistance.

It’s not something I do but wish I did. Olympic lifting which is very similar to KB ‘s in many ways is great for overall strength, flexibility and fat loss. You don’t need heavy stuff to do it either. More technical. Lots of sports centres do courses on it. Have a look.

http://main.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1194/Olympic_Weightlifting_for_Weight_Loss.aspx

• Upvote 1

Really enjoying the running 6 to 8 mile runs a day,cut the bread out and most of the usual shite feel better for it,weighing 13-9 now it seem to have levelled out at that after losing over 3 stone (since October),happy enough and feeling better.

I like a bevvy to much to cut it out so I haven't stopped and I wouldn't to be honest.

Are you doing anything else exercise wise Dickie, or just the running?

Cheers mate, hopefully I'll kick on once I can get back in a routine. I'm going again tomorrow so will just try to increase distance bit by bit.

Your progress is brilliant and has motivated me, I really enjoy running it's like a form of meditation because nothing else matters during your run other than pushing yourself through it and overcoming negative thoughts to give up.

His progress has motivated me too.

It's amazing the way the mind works.

• 4 weeks later...

One week. One week of not eating keto. One week of carbs. One Friday night pizza. One week of no exercise. One week. That’s all it has taken for me to feel like absolute shit. Sleep patterns thrown off. Insides feel like a tumble dryer with a dead rat inside. Less energy. Much more hunger. I feel fucking rough. My mood is worse, too.

Simple carbs are bad. At least for me.

Stretches in the morning have seriously improved my lower back tightness. I've watched every video there is on deadlift and squat form but still I feel it on the lower back, the morning stretches have seriously improved it though.

I've serious hamstring tightness I can't bend over and touch my toes or even lie on the floor and place my legs flat against a wall. Poor shoulder mobility too due to years of working out certain muscles abandoning others alongside physical work. I couldn't hold either end of a tea towel raise it above my head and then behind my back. I look physically fit but feel like an old man

I have done 6 weeks of yoga and it has fucked me. I appreciate a certain level of flexibility is good but this is too much.

My dead lift is suffering my back is sore and it is fucking boring. There is no comparative element to it which makes me just spin my wheels.

Massive generalisation I admit but just not for me.

For my back I'm dropping the weight and doing deadlift reps rather than heavy singles. Still 300lb for 10 but manageable and good for entire body.

Not that I am anywhere near it but I think over flexibility can impare joint stability esp when strength is the goal.

Ive been on a severely depleted carb regimen for 3 wks now.

Ive dropped 4kg and have energy I could only dream about 5 yrs ago.

As soon as I introduce bread / pasta, I slump, but small amounts of whole fruit seem to be ok - even bananas (limit one per day).

Ive been researching and it appears that large amounts of insulin plays havoc with our Reverse Cholesterol Transport System.

https://profgrant.com/2017/09/19/a-short-guide-to-reverse-cholesterol-transport/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk