You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Exercise, Fitness, Health, and Well-being’ Thread

Yeah, I heard they’re intense as fuck. I just read something on Reddit, they said 20 minutes in they had accept d that at age 20 and 362 days they had accepted that this was they day they were going to die.

As I said in the OP, I used to be somebody that cycled up to a hundred miles per week. I want to get back to where I’m putting serious miles in.

I was into cycling a few years ago and could knock out 80 mile. I let it go and got nowhere back to that. I’m hitting the spinning and when the weather gets better be out in a real bike. I do mine at a council sports centre cheap as fuck.

Yeah, I heard they’re intense as fuck. I just read something on Reddit, they said 20 minutes in they had accept d that at age 20 and 362 days they had accepted that this was they day they were going to die.

As I said in the OP, I used to be somebody that cycled up to a hundred miles per week. I want to get back to where I’m putting serious miles in.

Ever try the Tour de France?

If you're not doing anything, then doing something (anything) will work, for a while at least, up to about 6 weeks. But then improvements/gainzzz will be difficult to maintain after that. 

After years and years of doing weights and getting nowhere I realised i had to change something, so I started barbell training, and it's been a revelation. I spent literally years lifting random weights and using resistance machines and getting nowhere - i did the things magazines told me, using the machines the gym trainers told me to use - and realised it's a big con - just a big money making conspiracy of the "fitness industry" (https://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/05/why-barbells-are-better-than-machines/

Anyway, I now work out 3 times a week - 

Workout A: Squats (3 sets of 5), Overhead press (3 sets of 5), Deadlift (1 set of 5). 

Workout B: squats (3 sets of 5), bench press (3 sets of 5), barbell rows 3 sets of 8).

It's simple, but it's hard. Every time I go I add 5kg to the weights (or 2.5kg to the overhead press). Every time i go i'm lifting a weight i've never lifted before - which is mentally daunting but rewarding. 

I follow the Starting Strength model. I've read and re-read the book, follow the Facebook group and watch and re-watch the method videos on YouTube. You need to nail the form of the moves and they're quite complicated when you get into it.

But what it comes down to is - the best exercise for you is the one you'll do. 

• Upvote 2

That's true, good post btw. I'm thinking I'll get Kettlebells and do some of the reps that are shown in the workout videos. I'm not looking to get much more muscle, certainly not get all body-buildery. I just want to be lean and strong again.

That's true, good post btw. I'm thinking I'll get Kettlebells and do some of the reps that are shown in the workout videos. I'm not looking to get much more muscle, certainly not get all body-buildery. I just want to be lean and strong again.

Have a look at Joe Rogans podcast. He uses them and talks about some video ge uses. Cant remember who. Says the workouts are a killer

If you're not doing anything, then doing something (anything) will work, for a while at least, up to about 6 weeks. But then improvements/gainzzz will be difficult to maintain after that. 

After years and years of doing weights and getting nowhere I realised i had to change something, so I started barbell training, and it's been a revelation. I spent literally years lifting random weights and using resistance machines and getting nowhere - i did the things magazines told me, using the machines the gym trainers told me to use - and realised it's a big con - just a big money making conspiracy of the "fitness industry" (https://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/05/why-barbells-are-better-than-machines/

Anyway, I now work out 3 times a week - 

Workout A: Squats (3 sets of 5), Overhead press (3 sets of 5), Deadlift (1 set of 5). 

Workout B: squats (3 sets of 5), bench press (3 sets of 5), barbell rows 3 sets of 8).

It's simple, but it's hard. Every time I go I add 5kg to the weights (or 2.5kg to the overhead press). Every time i go i'm lifting a weight i've never lifted before - which is mentally daunting but rewarding. 

I follow the Starting Strength model. I've read and re-read the book, follow the Facebook group and watch and re-watch the method videos on YouTube. You need to nail the form of the moves and they're quite complicated when you get into it.

On the Money John. It’s that simple. No balancing on a ball doing curls.

On thing I would add is more volume. I made huge progress when I got numbers out of my head.

Everyone does say 8 or 10 reps. Do 11 or 9 keep changing it.

Do 4 sets of 13. Do what you can normally manage to squat 10 reps but do 25 even if it takes 1/2 an hour.

Never settle in. Keep changing it.

Every now and again I do a 100 rep day. For instance on barbells I use 60 kg (inc bar). 3 sets 100 reps. That’s it and go home. In a heap.

Have a look at Joe Rogans podcast. He uses them and talks about some video ge uses. Cant remember who. Says the workouts are a killer

Oh yeah, I’m a long time avid listener to the JRE. Anybody who isn’t should check it out. He’s a bit of a beast. I was watching him with 70lb kettlebells yesterday. For his age, he’s incredible.

• Upvote 1

He's also on HGH, which helps.

Yeah most of the big guys and former fighters are on it. To be honest why not. It doesn't seem to have any issues like many old fashioned steroids do. Matt Serra says he takes it simply because he feels far better and it lets him train people at his gym with feeling like a cripple

I mean TRT not HGH

Yeah most of the big guys and former fighters are on it. To be honest why not. It doesn't seem to have any issues like many old fashioned steroids do. Matt Serra says he takes it simply because he feels far better and it lets him train people at his gym with feeling like a cripple

I'd take it if I had the money!

There’s some useful training programmes out there if you search for exactly what you want.

Download the BodySpace app from bodybuilding.com and you can search for programs that suit your needs and things, you can always tweak certain things to make it even more suited to you.

Also there’s Labrada’s Lean Body app, Shortcut to size app and Kris Gethin’s Hardcore 12 Week trainer they’re all very good and easy to follow.

Lot of misinformation in that mate. No mention of calorific intake/adjustments comparison studies, ie squats, deads, etc.

Not for a second saying it is bad. If you go from nothing to that you will get stronger and leaner.

Is it optimal? I doubt it.

Seems yet another beach bod in 2 weeks with just 15 minutes of limited effort per day idea.