You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1 (Mar 10 2018)

tlw content

Excellent report Dave. Just a couple of things

1) I can't agree this is our best side in 25 years. We're worse defensively than the one in 2009 and worse in an attacking way than the one in 2014

2) I think the best, and perhaps, only way to beat Mourinho is by playing Mourinho football against them. That's what Rafa did in two champions league finals and he won twice. Don't attack, just play long balls up and rely on flick ons and corner kicks. Hell Rafa can still beat Mourinho even though he's managing a side that are basically championship level!

The problem with Klopp, like Rodgers, is that he's a bit too much of an idealist. He not only wants to win, he has to win HIS way. I'm not saying he's not an excellent manager, or he's not better than Rodgers or Benitez, but the only way to beat that cunt is be an even bigger cunt than him and grind it out. Hell, even when Guardiola has beaten him it's been goals from corners and long balls. 

I think we went on an unbeaten run for about 4-5 months beginning in the December, where Fowler and Collymore were on fire up front, and McManaman looked dangerous every time he got on the ball. We smashed the Mancs and Arsenal, went on a run to the Cup Final, and beat Newcastle in that epic first 4-3 game. We showed nothing in the final itself which is why it is only remembered for those white suits.

That was down to Evans that. Redknapp had been out injured for those 4-5 months ( I think that's the unbeaten record we beat this season ) and Thomas and Barnes were in centre mid, then for some reason Redknapp got fit and bizarrely Roy put him straight back in and we lost I think a couple of games later at Coventry.

We still won games but never looked anywhere near as good .

The thing about width and changing the game is spot on.  I've banged on in the past about Salah and Mane needing to swap over when we are defending a lead, so as to give us outlets and stop us running into traffic, but we need to do it occasionally when we are chasing a game too - just mix things up. Mane was superb off the right last season and Salah was getting nothing on the right, so just swap them over FFS, even if it's just for ten minutes.

Spot on about the never swapping Mane and Salah, it’s my biggest gripe with Klopp, especially when you consider the lack of options we have on the bench you’d have thought that even giving them 10 or 15 minutes to give an oppo defence something different to worry about is a no brainer.

When Mourinho said afterwards his team were controlling the game in the second half, it wasn’t just the typical shite he comes out with just to wind people up. They DID control that second half because although we had the ball they had control of us. Don’t be fooled by the fact the game was played almost exclusively in their half or that we had virtually all of the possession. 

We weren’t ‘pushing them back’ or ‘keeping them penned in’. They CHOSE to do that. Mourinho loves nothing better than doing that in fact. They came out after half time with a 2-0 lead and they shut up shop and had no intention of trying to add to that lead. What that meant was we were camped in their half. When an attack was repelled, the loose ball was almost always picked up by us.

Occasionally they may have wanted to counter attack but by and large we denied them any opportunity to do that, so at least that part of our game belatedly clicked into gear, but for the most part they weren't arsed about coming out of their defensive shell anyway, and why should they? They had a 2-0 lead.

This.

Mourinho, as much as a cunt that he is, made Klopp and Liverpool looked like naive amateurs. He made Salah's Messi comparison laughable. A picture tells a thousand words, and a picture that could sum up the match perfectly would be of Mourinho going "aww so cute" while looking down to baby Klopp who all dressed up as the fiercest lion.

And I'm still seething. 

The media always reports the Hillsborough songs from them.

And by "always" I do of course mean "never".

Short term – only negatives.  Long term – far from it.

Do you remember the home crowd booing a back pass from Valencia? Shitcoat got completely bananas and told the world afterwards how Valencia was doing the right thing and the crowd doesn’t know shit. Remember that? As it happened cameras zoomed in on Ferguson. He didn’t boo of course, but he did look like he was a part of that “unknowing crowd”.  

This ultra defensive strategy is not the way forward for ManU. Ferguson knows it, we know it, the ManU crowd knows it. They were lucky to come out winners in this match. IMHO I believe we’re lucky in a long term perspective as this match was somehow taken as proof of Mourinho being the grand master of the game.

If we’re up there fighting for the title next year it won’t be Manu U we’ll be fighting.

Long live the Mourinho destruction of Man U!

I thought Van Dyke was being pulled all over the place, hence why his header came off his shoulder when he probably should have scored. Just another example of the "gamesmanship" that they seem to get away with.

Saying that, they had a plan, got a slice of luck and it was all over early on. We were poor for about an hour of the game. Very disappointing performance all round. I was happy to get to half time only 2-0 down.

Thought Rashford's two finishes were excellent. He could turn out to be some player for them.

Looking on the bright side this could be a bit of a wake up call for the next round of the european cup - we won't just turn up, score a few goals and get through. If we thought this game was hard - imagine Juventus.

These things happen in a crowded box and I do not think Virgil was jostled any more than in our box or an opponents. You could say Virgils body position was all wrong for that header. At the same time you could say he was unlucky that after getting his head to the ball because he was leaning in at an angle the ball then struck his shoulder knocking the ball in another direction. Would his header have gone in if it had not hit his shoulder or would it have just gone across the box been cleared or knocked in by another player. If the ball had of gone in off his shoulder and the ref or lino seen it would they have allowed it or disallowed it. To be honest I am far more pissed off with the standard of reffing particularly the missed penno shouts.

Some of our fans are wanting to get United in Europe to get revenge. They think ‘we

’ll get ‘em next time’. Are they fucking mad?

I know where you're coming from with that statement m8 but we would have a fairer ref and assistants behind each goal for the game in Europe which would massively benefit us IMO .

Take the game Saturday in that scenario and I'm positive we would of won the game by getting 2 pens awarded and Yernited down to 9 men by the end of the game.

• Upvote 1

Some of our fans are wanting to get United in Europe to get revenge. They think ‘we

’ll get ‘em next time’. Are they fucking mad?

I know where you're coming from with that statement m8 but we would have a fairer ref and assistants behind each goal for the game in Europe which would massively benefit us IMO .

Take the game Saturday in that scenario and I'm positive we would of won the game by getting 2 pens awarded and Yernited down to 9 men by the end of the game.

I seen these fairer refs and assistants behind the goal miss the most obvious penalty I've seen in a long time in the spurs v Juve match. and the assistant behind the goal was only about 10 yards away with no obstruction of view and still done fuck all. 

Do not want those horrible Manc twats at all especially if we have to rely on officials actually doing their job right.

"Any time United went long to Lukaku in that game (and when we played against him in derby games when he was with the Blues), Hendo was shielding in front and Lovren challenged him from behind. If Henderson didn’t win the initial header he was always on hand to pick up the bits and help Lovren out when he made his challenge. Between the pair of them they completely shut Lukaku down.

Hendo was on the bench for this one (an obvious mistake), but where the fuck was Emre Can on those two flick ons? He certainly wasn’t screening in front of Lukaku. So that’s problem number one. Either he wasn’t doing his job or he hadn’t been instructed to do it. Klopp’s comments afterwards suggest the former."

And it's not like Can hasn't done that job before as I remember him fronting Giroud in one game at Anfield and kept him pretty quiet.

Spot on about the never swapping Mane and Salah, it’s my biggest gripe with Klopp, especially when you consider the lack of options we have on the bench you’d have thought that even giving them 10 or 15 minutes to give an oppo defence something different to worry about is a no brainer.

When I say this I get called every cunt under the sun.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk