You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Feb 10-16 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Feb 10… 

Harry Wilson gets his first goal for Hull. Ideal scenario is he scores a load for them and comes back to become part of the first team set up next season, but how many players have gone on loan and then come back to establish themselves? It generally seems like when we loan someone out that’s the beginning of the end for them. The ones who are going to make it (Trent & Gomez being the most recent ones) tend to not be sent out don’t they? I hope Wilson bucks that trend as I like him a lot. 

The Turkish press (no idea what the fuck it’s got to do with them like) link us with Wilfred Ndidi from Leicester. He’s pretty good, I like him, and if he’s Can’s replacement then we could do worse. But £50m? Fuck off. Even if it were £30m (which would be reasonable enough) these numbers just don’t add up. Allowing Can to leave on a free is bad enough, but the bigger problem is the cost of replacing him and the unnecessary hit to the transfer budget. 

Just find a way to get Big Sexy signed and then use the money we have on a boss goalie and another Salah / Mané to give us a genuine rotation option rather than having another year of this ‘praying nothing happens to either of them because we have no-one else’. Letting Can walk and spending £50m on replacing him is the exact opposite of the transfer policy the owners have tried to implement since they walked through the door. 

Also today, Stevie’s lads are drawn against the Mancs in the kids version of the Champions League. That should be worth watching as the lads have been great so far in this tournament, but not having Brewster is a blow. Hopefully Klopp let’s Stevie select Woodburn as if he’d let him play against Arsenal the other week we might still be in the youth cup. Bet the mancs have an extra few thousand on their usual gate just so they can sing about Gerrard, the sad, obsessed bastards. 

Sunday Feb 11… 

Southampton 0 L 2 Yeah that’ll do. Great second half even though we didn’t add to the scoring from the first half. Van Dijk just breezed through his return to St Mary’s and was smirking every time the camera went on him as he was being booed. 

It’s not a particularly big deal but it tells us a fair bit about his temperament I think. He’s not going to be arsed about his fee or what anyone says about him, and that’s obviously a good thing. He’s like the Fonz, only with a man bun. 

Bit worrying that the Fab Four has turned into a Dynamic Duo virtually overnight though. Mané wasn’t shit but he still isn’t Mané, is he? 

In other news today, Rafa was partying like it was 2005 as he stuck it to Jose. Great result for Newcastle and just as good for us. Hoping for a Chelsea win tomorrow night now just to tighten things up even more and put the Mancs on the brink of being knocked out of the top four altogether. I know I know, a Chelsea win isn’t good for us, but as long as we keep doing our thing it’ll be fine, and how funny would be if Mourinho & co dropped from 2nd to 5th in the space of a couple of weeks?

Their next game is Chelsea, so a win for Conte’s men tomorrow sets that one up nicely. I’m still hoping that Conte is going to offer him out and then when he says no, just keeps poking him in the chest to goad him. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

Bit cheeky of Roma. We paid the price you wanted & its not our fault you underestimated his ability. Monchi has got a cob on as he is worrying about turning into the suntanned Steve Walsh.

From memory we paid the price Roma ‘needed’ not the price they wanted.

Wasn’t there some finance renogotiation that meant they needed £35m by a certain date?

And they are in the same situation again this year. And probably next year too. Half their squad is there on loan.

I’m sure Monchi will be harder to negotiate with.

My concern is they’ll prefer to wait until after the World Cup to maximise prices and with the PL having set an artificially early transfer deadline English clubs are fucking themselves over.