You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

CD players

Carvalho Diablo

Don't like digital collection myself

I have it for when out and about but its far nicer to actually own something material and not some file online

I feel the exact opposite myself. Sold all my records recently and don't feel any tinge of longing with losing them at all. Got thousands of songs digitally now that I never had on vinyl.

• Upvote 1

Got a digital collection of almost 140000 songs! That's why I don't want to break the bank for another CD player.

Got an Arcam cd93t up in the loft, cost me a grand about 15 years ago, discontinued now but sounds fantastic with 4 Wolfson DACs onboard. No way will I pay that again though, not for a part time player.

Jesus, mate. That’s some investment.

Now, let me tell you about these things called Apple Music and Spotify...

Haha cheeky get. My system in the back living room (and the one where I'd like to add the CD player) is my T8V4 Android box streaming directly into a Cyrus One amp via Bluetooth.

I know, I know, sound quality, blah blah etc, but trust me, it sounds immense. I should really look up what DAC is onboard the box cos it sounds fantastic.

Would still like a CD player though.

Haha cheeky get. My system in the back living room (and the one where I'd like to add the CD player) is my T8V4 Android box streaming directly into a Cyrus One amp via Bluetooth.

I know, I know, sound quality, blah blah etc, but trust me, it sounds immense. I should really look up what DAC is onboard the box cos it sounds fantastic.

Would still like a CD player though.

I have to admit, the first time I heard really good quality music I was blown away. It was via some high end sennheiser headphones with a quality amp/DAC. I was like... ohhhhh, so this is what music sounds like. It’s like watching TV your whole life on a 13 inch black and white via a dodgy aerial and walking in and seeing HDR 4K.

• Upvote 1

Until digital is massively cheaper than CDs, I'll always favour a physical format. I can then rip them and send the CD into a charity shop if I'm low on space.

Same, sell some on ebay and others get sold in charity shops. Everyone's a winner.

• 2 months later...

It's always contentious, but unless you're using a full resolution FLAC file, or a WAV file, then the likelihood is you're better off with CDs.  Any of those solutions will be massively better than MP3s though, though if you're listening through your phone or such, then you're not going to be interested in the quality of the sound.  

I've had that Marantz for about a year, fucking love it. You happy with it? What are you pairing it with?

Haven't even listened to it yet Jim, gonna do that shortly though.

Will be powered by my Cyrus One amp (possibly using my Cyrus Streamline 2 as a preamp in the signal chain), speakers are Quad S2. I used Chord interconnects and QED Silver Anniversary cabling FWIW.

I hope the new Marantz is somewhere near as good as my Arcam CD93 Diva CD player which has 4 onboard Wolfson DACs, sounds amazing and fluid that one.

Btw it's the CD6006UK edition I've got, for £267 it seemed too good to be true.

How are you finding yours btw and what's your signal path / system?

Haven't even listened to it yet Jim, gonna do that shortly though.

Will be powered by my Cyrus One amp (possibly using my Cyrus Streamline 2 as a preamp in the signal chain), speakers are Quad S2. I used Chord interconnects and QED Silver Anniversary cabling FWIW.

I hope the new Marantz is somewhere near as good as my Arcam CD93 Diva CD player which has 4 onboard Wolfson DACs, sounds amazing and fluid that one.

Btw it's the CD6006UK edition I've got, for £267 it seemed too good to be true.

How are you finding yours btw and what's your signal path / system?

Wish I hadn't asked now Carvalho, since you're obviously more clued up about this stuff than me and have owned higher end equipment than I've ever had.

For what it's worth, I replaced an old budget Technics player that I got from Richer Sounds with the Marantz and was amazed by how much better it sounds. I paid about £350 from Superfi for it, which is a lot for me but I don't regret it. It doesn't play FLAC files through the USB though as claimed on the Marantz website specs.

Currently have a Yamaha AS-500 amp and Tannoy Mercury floorstanders. I tend to just go to Richer Sounds and listen to the budget stuff that is well reviewed. My current setup sounds superb to my untrained ears

• Upvote 1

Wish I hadn't asked now Carvalho, since you're obviously more clued up about this stuff than me and have owned higher end equipment than I've ever had.

For what it's worth, I replaced an old budget Technics player that I got from Richer Sounds with the Marantz and was amazed by how much better it sounds. I paid about £350 from Superfi for it, which is a lot for me but I don't regret it. It doesn't play FLAC files through the USB though as claimed on the Marantz website specs.

Currently have a Yamaha AS-500 amp and Tannoy Mercury floorstanders. I tend to just go to Richer Sounds and listen to the budget stuff that is well reviewed. My current setup sounds superb to my untrained ears

Always love booking a few hours into my local Richer Sounds sound booth to try stuff out. I'll often take my own speakers or other parts of my home systems to mix and match and to try and best isolate to Richer component in context.

I never buy owt from them though, always go away and buy cheaper from the net, the Richer guys must fucking hate me.

What are your Tannoy's like Jim? A new set of floor standers are probably the next thing on my list tbh, my own Quad 22Ls still sound lovely but they're about 15 years old and I wouldn't mind something which packs a bit more thud in the bottom end. Not a priority though.

Just Christened the new CD player with a couple of my favourite Suicidal Tendencies records, both of which I know really well, and I must say it sounded rather fantastic; big and authoritive with a solid bass and great imaging. Very happy indeed.

• Upvote 1