You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jon Flanagan

WhiskeyJar

I think it would be quite a strange statement on our behalf if we didn't? That said, it would set a precedent and if a big star does something like that in the future, no matter how much money there is involved, he'd need to be treated the same.

A sound argument.

But, as we all know, there tends to be a direct link between the level of moral outrage and a player's ability.

I stand guilty of that too. I doubt I'd be saying the same thing and calling for the sack if it was Salah or Firmino instead of Flanagan.

Until Salah starts wellying his missus around the place I think we can set the hypocrisy argument aside.

As for Flanno, the injuries finished off any hope he had of being a premier league regular at a decent club. This is just the final nail in the coffin. We should probably try and rehabilitate him, to a certain extent, and then quietly part ways in a couple of months. Or sack him now, not particularly arsed.

Where's the hypocrisy, though? I don't recall a comparable precedent where people argued the opposite.

We’ve had players serve time in prison, attack another player with a golf club and bite players on the pitch.

They were of benefit to the club though so were not sacked.

Flanno has turned to shit and would only be sacked to save on his wages and not for any moral reason.

• Upvote 1

We’ve had players serve time in prison, attack another player with a golf club and bite players on the pitch.

They were of benefit to the club though so were not sacked.

Flanno has turned to shit and would only be sacked to save on his wages and not for any moral reason.

Personally, I don't see those as being comparable precedents to his situation.

There is no perfectly comparable incident as you well know.

But if you’re suggesting we start sacking players for moral reasons I’d love to see your justification for not sacking Molby, Bellamy and Suarez.

Which of these threw a woman against a wall and kicked her when she was on the ground?

I get what you’re saying, but it’s levels. Molby, btw, was pretty reprehensible but it was a different time, and I’d argue morally on a different level. Also a false equivalency to point at the Suarez and Bellamy situations, imo. The Bellamy matter was dealt with in house and he was sold pretty soon after. Suarez is just a mad fucker.

Same with Firmino. Drink driving is fucking stupid, way stupid, but the intent isn’t to hurt someone. It’s just fucking stupid.

What Flanno did was stupid and there was intent to hurt someone. I’m not calling for his head but if he was to be sacked I’d struggle to give much of a fuck.

Which of these threw a woman against a wall and kicked her when she was on the ground?

I get what you’re saying, but it’s levels. Molby, btw, was pretty reprehensible but it was a different time, and I’d argue morally on a different level. Also a false equivalency to point at the Suarez and Bellamy situations, imo. The Bellamy matter was dealt with in house and he was sold pretty soon after. Suarez is just a mad fucker.

Same with Firmino. Drink driving is fucking stupid, way stupid, but the intent isn’t to hurt someone. It’s just fucking stupid.

What Flanno did was stupid and there was intent to hurt someone. I’m not calling for his head but if he was to be sacked I’d struggle to give much of a fuck.

My point isn’t posters are hypocritical calling for him to be sacked.

My point is the club would be hypocritical for sacking him.

The problem with sacking him is you make a rod for your own back. There are well paid creative people at the club who I am sure will be able to make an example of the player without backing us into the corner of having to dismiss everyone who makes a mistake.

• Upvote 1

I get what you’re saying, but it’s levels.

Also a false equivalency to point at the Suarez and Bellamy situations, imo. The Bellamy matter was dealt with in house and he was sold pretty soon after.

I’ve already said there isn’t a perfect comparable incident.

Did Bellamy not intend to hurt when attacking someone with a golf club? Dealt with internally? He played the next game and celebrated a goal with a fucking golf swing!

I’d argue Flanno shows more remorse than Bellamy did.

Of course there is no ‘false equivalency’ it’s daft to argue there is.

Flanno has revealed he can be a nasty cunt. However, we’ve had planty of cunts and never sacked any of them because they benefitted us.

If Flanno is sacked it’s because he’s of no value and is costing us money.

• Upvote 1

We still have Lloyd Jones on the books too, who was found guilty of affray after punching some guy in a bar last year.

Personally think rehabilitation should be the first port of call for the majority of first time, off the field issues. Maybe double whatever rehab/community things that have been issued to him as well.

I don't think thats likely to happen. The Gerrard incident probably has a little bit more in common in terms of it being violent. I think both Gerrard and Flanagan would have done time if they were manual workers or unemployed.

Not a chance, first offence, relatively little injury.   People walk away free men from a lot worse every day.

Never any excuse for hitting a woman. That's why I've never gone for all this Roy Keane hardman bollocks, didn't he nut a woman once? It's scum like behaviour, akin to beating up Steven Hawking.

Surprised at the news coverage it's generated though, you'd think it was the England captain or some shit.

Either way, he's a bellend and no great loss if we get rid, as we should.